Garden Argosy

Ron and Kathie Hermann

Hard work---always busy-

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Garden Argosy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is above average lots of overtime if you want it.

Cons

Always busy...you will be tired....Owners on site and you will be supervised

You guys work too much.....

Do not even bother.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Garden Argosy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a good tourist spot. Very filled and always is stocked with the items they have. Good pay.

Cons

Management is disrespectful and they call it "being strict" I have seen them right before my eyes disrespect another employee on the sales floor, for talking to a family member that had came in from out of town. They do not want anyone that is somewhat related to you in the building when you are. It will say on the schedule that you will only work 6 hours, when you end up working 10 hours afterwards, and that is what the employers expect you to do. They have no sense of needed to take Sunday mornings off for Church or respect when it comes to employees in school. Another employee that was there was lectured on the sales floor about the employee's boyfriend being at the store, and then a week later the management hired another employee's boyfriend, saying "All of your boyfriends should be like this, they need to get a life change."

They also mark up their prices 175% than the average retail price.

I ended up walking out, because I did not appreciate the rudeness and disrespect I was receiving. Do not bother.

Get your act together. I wish I had read this before I worked there. Think about what you are saying and maybe lower your prices a bit.

Tight ship

Former Employee - Sales in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Garden Argosy

Pros

Pay is above average for this industry. Overtime if you want it, so you can make lots of money

Cons

Owners are tough, but fair..expect a lot from you for the higher wage

We can't all be as good as you..

Retail Torment

I worked at Garden Argosy

Pros

Phenomenal gift shop, truly something for everyone. Always considered a "favorite destination" by the customers. The patrons are what make the job tolerable.

Cons

The owners have a reputation around the area for being "extremely hard to work for". We always convince ourselves that it is "sour grapes talking" or that the person just wasn't a diligent employee. This is NOT the case. They have several tremendous sales people highly dedicated to making the store a great shopping experience... but trust me... it's never good enough. Don't let the atmosphere of the front of the store fool you... there's a reason an "accepting job applications" sign is affixed to the shop window 365 days a year.

Wasted breath... they don't care. It's always the shortcomings of someone else.

Revolving Door

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Garden Argosy

Pros

Interesting place with varied merchandise, high foot traffic, nice customers and some co-workers very nice to work with.

Cons

Company has high revolving door. Owners have reputation for paying well in retail market because expectations are unreasonable. Not many last long. Very few long term employees. They are constantly hiring and their last ad wanted "sales people who can sell to replace those who thought they could"...insulting. Poor management.

There is no advice. It would not be accepted anyway.