Gardens Alive

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Niles Kinerk

Good experience but less than average benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsHard working company culture, where learning is integral and furthering your degree is encouraged. The company does tuition reimbursement. That is a huge benefit.

Consbenefits are mediocre at best, Corporate office and benefits based out of Indiana, with satellite offices in other regions where health insurance is held at a higher value.

Advice to Senior Managementretention increases when employees feel valued. Take care of them through benefits and they will remain loyal to your company.

No support from my boss or anyone throughout the organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSOME people are great; others are just okay. Lots of room for changes and improvement if you can last long enough to make them.

ConsHR staff is absolute worst of any company I have worked at. A team culture is non-existent; there is no communication between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people more and entirely 'gut' the HR staff and start over. Increase communication efforts. Act like you want to exist in 5-10 years.

Horrible

ProsHard working people on the floor.

ConsNo worklife balance, always in a flux. Lack of communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart all over again. Hire some top notch talent

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer service/call center

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Lawrenceburg, IN

ProsMost of the customers were really nice. I always talked too long!

ConsThis job was only Part time and seasonal.

I couldn't wait to leave.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Lawrenceburg, IN

ProsDiscounts on products and the outlet store.

ConsThe salary offered is way under market. The hours expected are over the normal 40 hr work week. The smells in the warehouse is enough to make you physically ill.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people with respect and know when you are understaffed. Appreciate your employees and pay them what they deserve regardless of the location.

Don't do it.....(Tipp City Office)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe some of workers are nice.

ConsNo sort of training what-so-ever. Bad place to start out. Pay is awful and you are not making anywhere close to what you should be making for the amount of responsibilities you have. No appreciation for anything you do. The place is just a few years away from shutting down completely (or having the building collapsing on them because it is so old and it is not being taken care of).

Think of a High School setting when it comes to people's attitude towards everything. Everyone talks bad about each other and they are not willing to help anyone out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a class in management. Happy employees=happier customers=better business all around. Also, give some pay raises, especially to people who have worked there full time for the past 10 years and they are still getting paid less than workers at a fast food place.

Tipp City Office Environment

Marketing (Former Employee) Tipp City, OH

ProsSome excellent people work at Gardens Alive. The CEO is a fair man who seems to care; many of the employees want to support the company and work hard to do so.
    The environment is very casual and they try to show appreciation for the employees with parties and give-aways.

ConsEven though they are trying to improve the building, it is for the most part disgusting. The break room is deplorable, there is no accessibility for handicapped individuals, and the HVAC is a nightmare. Some of the upper management is extremely unprofessional. There are ego issues that need to be addressed, and it is obvious that there are people in positions that they are not qualified for. Some people have been promoted into positions that they have no experience in causing difficulty with progress and armature mistakes. Much of the hard work by lower-level employees is not appreciated, and their ideas and suggestions are dismissed. Because of this, there are a LOT of very unhappy employees who have adopted the “minimum work for maximum pay” attitude. The company is currently attempting to expand and change the work culture to a fault, which is causing a disconnect between co-workers resulting in an even less cohesive environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than trying to overpopulate the office in an attempt to change the work culture, reassess your management. Send them to training on how to be managers since it is painfully obvious they are extremely weak in this area. If not that, replace them with people who would make a difference.
    Give your hardworking employees REAL opportunities for advancement and take their experience and education into consideration when they have ideas.

Decent for Enrty level

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tipp City, OH

ProsGood entry level opportunities
    Will gain experience on many different job duties

ConsLow pay
    Poor upper management
    Little room for advancement
    Understaffed (which is why you will gain experience on so many job duties)
    Little respect for employees
    Very "cliquey"

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees’ opinions and ideas on how to better the business. I’m not saying implement every idea, but at least give it some thought. Also, your pay needs to be much more competitive.

Your suggestions mean absolutely NOTHING to upper management.

Sales (Current Employee) Lawrenceburg, IN

ProsLocation, if you live close enough for that to be a pro. Some of the people there are compassionate and it is possible to have a good chat at lunch time. But, talk too much and you'll not have enough time to eat.

ConsEverything from the short break time (only a half-hour lunch break, and two 10 minute breaks), poor air quality, poor support of the chairs, painful headsets... And that's just what you notice the first day on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe they could start by offering chairs that actually offer lumbar support for their employees that sit in them for 8 hours a day, with All the chairs I sat in is just unacceptable, the back rest just sinks back so far its useless, and yes, the lever on the side didn't fix it. On some chairs the lever is non-existent. Also, the headphones are extremely uncomfortable and sometimes painful. You'd think they would at least let their employees sit and talk in comfort, since were sitting and talking 99% of the time. I wonder if OSHA has laws or regulations on lumbar back support. Also, UPGRADE THE ORDER ENTRY SOFTWARE. After I tried to explain that if they would just spend a little money and upgrade their software, they would ultimately save money by not having to spend so much in training to learn the dinosaur age software. Just a hint on how old the software is... it's coded in DOS... Oh well, if they didn't listen to me in person, why would they listen to anyone on here.

In reference to Call Center

Customer Service Representative In Call Center (Current Employee) Lawrenceburg, IN

ProsFairly flexible schedule, dress code

ConsThe pay rate is quite low, high stress, not enough training, does not hire quality individuals

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not cut scheduled training short just to get a warm body in a seat ASAP; assign more capable, helpful, and friendly people to be assistant contacts for phone reps; increase communications between buildings, departments, and within departments; increase payrate to reduce turnover and inspire quality reps to work for your company; increase break time from 10min to 15min-this short amount of time would reduce greatly the level of stress and dissatisfaction; listen to and act on constructive employee complaints and suggestions

Worked for Gardens Alive? Contribute to the Community!