Gardewine North Reviews

Updated February 24, 2015
5 reviews filtered by
Dennis Clarke

1. They Won't deliver

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

I worked at Gardewine North full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When the delivery truck does show up, they guys are almost always cheerful and happy to help out- the problem doesn't seem to be with them.

Cons

I pay overnight shipping on important product from Toronto to Thunder Bay, and every single time they dump it In the warehouse and forget about it. They will not load it into their truck and attempt delivery without a phone call. We order large shipments with multiple jobs going on at once so keeping track of what's here or there can be very difficult. I've looked like a fool many times calling our supplier wondering why it hasn't shipped out when its actually been at Gardewines warehouse for a week! where it really becomes frustrating is they move it in the corner...the corner where no one else looks, so I'll phone to see what's there for pickup (because they can't deliver?) and they won't be able to find it! Numerous times I've been there for a pickup and I spot other undelivered items of ours laying in piles at random. This has to stop guys!

you are in the business to deliver, make it priority to do so! I will give the business to another company shortly if it doesn't get resolved. I am in management myself and realize how busy things get, but as a manager you need to get your hands dirty and see what is actually going on in the shop/office/warehouse etc.

2. Garde WHINE

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Gardewine North full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting new people...getting physically fit if you work the afternoon shift

Cons

Beware...if you are not part of the HIGH FIVE group...better watch your back. All they care about are numbers and profit. They don't care about safety...as many injuries are neck and back related.
    Also the have a policy on certain things...but not work place violence. As many people have been physically threatened/injured or even fights on docks. Even being thrown into a garbage bin! But they turn the other cheek as it's not a problem to them...as it doesn't effect their numbers.
    Many of their dock plates are not working properly which are one of the MAIN reasons for work place injury.
    The equipment is not maintained properly.
    Appliances are frequently dropped and they expect alot for nothing. Why don't they have safer equipment for appliances rather than have a person use a wheeler/dolly to pull/push 2 appliances stacked on top of each other. While other companies use APPLIANCE related forklifts to lift and drop double stacked appliances more safer.
    A nice call to workplace safety could easily resolve that.

Too Corporate

Current Employee - Straight Truck Driver in Sault Ste. Marie, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Straight Truck Driver in Sault Ste. Marie, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Gardewine North full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

profit sharing is ok, you can meet lots of people, I'm sorry but that's all of the pros I can think of at the moment because there aren't any.

Cons

Very little training, poor communication, lots of customers are unhappy with the sevice. Gardewine does not care about the customers only the bottom line and the numbers...too corporate. they will cut your throat no matter what

Learn about your employees and take time to care. Your company is going down the tubes fast.

5. wonderful experience overall

Current Employee - Data Entry
    Current Employee - Data Entry

I have been working at Gardewine North part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work environment and the work culture are the two best reasons to work for this company.
    If you are someone who likes to work in a pleasant and light environment and have some fun while doing work, this is the right place to work. people are cooperative and helpful.

Cons

One has to be really fast-paced, active, multi-tasker and energetic if you have to do jobs like manifesting, billing, etc, which can lead to stress. This can be overcome with time and practice.

no special advice.. just continue the way you are doing and the company will definetely be more succesful in the future.

6. Good place to work

Current Employee - Foreman
    Current Employee - Foreman

I have been working at Gardewine North

Pros

employee focused company, good benefits and decent retirement plan. Pay rate in the upper end of the scale for type of work. Equipment is kept in good shape. Great people to with and for, an honest and serious open door policy , as well as close attention to most employee input.

Cons

Home/ work life balance tends to lean more toward work. Training is sparse except in where required by law. Job descriptions vague and liable to change without notice.

Weakest points are training and communication. Training is promised but often left until there is an issue or a situation. A lack of clear communication and often opposing directives make difficult decisions harder to make and less likely to have a satisfactory outcome for all parties involved.