Garland ISD

Garland ISD Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Garland ISD Superintendent of Schools Curtis Culwell, Ed.D.

Curtis Culwell, Ed.D.

Enjoy being off when the kids are out

Cafeteria Worker (Current Employee) Garland, TX

ProsBeing off work when the kids are

ConsDON'T PAY WORTH A CRAP

Advice to Senior ManagementTry paying your workers more money or at least pay them correctly...what they actually work..don't like being paid in the summer...want to get paid for what we work

A great experience

Teacher (Former Employee) Garland, TX

ProsKids are great, usually have support

ConsLimited positions, a bit of favoritism

Great atmosphere, low pay.

Campust Technology Assistant (Former Employee) Garland, TX

ProsLoved the atmosphere at almost all locations. Plenty of opportunities to learn more and grow in education. More than adequate vacation and sick time. Family oriented. Great job security.

ConsOpportunities for career advancement very limited. Many feel promotions were given based on friendship rather than qualifications. Often a dead end position due to lack of opportunities. Pay was way too low.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some money to pay your technology people more. This is the future and while they are not "teachers" they are teaching your teachers and staff to use the technology. They are making sure everything is running and should be paid accordingly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An Excellent Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly co-workers, fair hours, good communication

ConsOccasional glitches with some software, but quickly fixed

Great district even though it is a large one!

Teacher (Current Employee) Garland, TX

ProsTONS of schools, which means TONS of teachers -- but you still feel connected and a part of the GISD family.
    Facilitators and Coordinators are very involved.

ConsAs a younger teacher, I am often asked to take on extra responsibilities on top of the MASSIVE amount of work I already have to do.

Its a job

Teacher (Current Employee) Rowlett, TX

ProsPay is competitive with other urban districts, the technology used in the classroom is up to date. The district provides alot of curriculum but the teachers still have flexibilty to choose their own daily activities. The district is perfoming much better than Dallas, despite having very similar problems to contend with. The pay decent and benefits are provided, but they could be much better. The students are diverse and you have an oppertunity to make an impact in the lives of some very neat kids. Every effort is made to insure that the all students are treated equally and meet their potential.

ConsLittle student disciplin. The school board will not allow the schools to take the steps needed to control the student population, and the results are open disrespect for the system on both ends (teachers and students). The district wants the schools to enforce some strict policies about dress code and cell phones, but comes down hard on them when they have too many in school suspensions ect. It makes no sense! The benefits suck!!! I pay over 350 a month for my end of an insurance plan that won't even kick in untill I pay an additional 500$ out of pocket per person, whats the point!!! That 350 doesn't include my spouse, adding him would be to much.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your teachers they way you tell them to treat students. Being openly disrespectful, condesending, and mistrustful of your teachers, over the intercom, where students can hear it is absolutly unacceptable. Don't allow student assemblies with questionable content and then scold teachers for saying "crap" in the classroom. Stop blaming the teachers for your failing management!

If you're assigned to a low-performing school, TAKS will be your focus.

Teacher (Current Employee) Garland, TX

ProsCommitment to continuing education and teacher development.

ConsSerious discipline issues at some schools. At times, focus on TAKS performance is almost fanatical.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess pressure about TAKS would make for a more pleasant environment for all.

It was a wonderful experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsConsidering the state of education around us it was a great place to work

ConsConditions were very school specific.

lookin for work

ProsI enjoy it i love my job

Consno funds to support certain programs

Advice to Senior Managementi am not sure

Worked for Garland ISD? Contribute to the Community!