Garmin

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
3.7

Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits and they take care of their employees (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is that there is very little structure for career path development (in 11 reviews)

• Little to no guidance from management or HR for career growth (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Software Engineer Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Garmin as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern I worked on software real projects. Some of the work involved debugging or verifying production quality software but the majority of my time was spent on developing an internal tool. I was given the project at the start of my internship and told to run with it. I designed, implemented, debugged, and updated my tool as the internship progressed. It was great to be working on my own project and implementing useful code instead of simply debugging someone else’s code or getting someone coffee.

Cons

No real cons come to mind, but there is a 20 word minimum so… bla bla bla bla bla

Engineer Haven

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Challenging work with lots of opportunities to shape the products we work on through personal freedom and innovation. Everything we do has a purpose and the end goal in mind. Time is taken if needed to do things right, but isn't wasted on efforts that don't yield any value.

Cons

None. There are things that could be improved with any situation, but realistically there is very little to complain about.

Keep up the good work.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They provide great benefits, like healthcare, dental, etc. Stable company with expanding markets.

Cons

The work atmosphere at my office was very boring. They don't have many events or other opportunities to branch out and meet new people.

Has a chance to be great, but leaves something to be desired

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits - health, vision, dental, relaxed environment, access to management, covered parking, good location, Flexible schedule when needed, free coffee

Cons

sometimes disorganized, not a lot of variety in terms of types of work so each engineer ends up working on the same things for a long time. Leaves something to be desired.

Invest more in the development environment. The use of all kinds of free open-source tools can be frustrating and each engineer managing their own copy of the repository takes quite a bit of time.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Garmin

Pros

Good business education - interesting to get a view of how products are put together and marketing. Benefits are great, pay is not bad.

Cons

Out of touch execs, products built by engineers for engineers.Out of touch execs, products built by engineers for engineers

Innovate instead of duplicating. Enterprise business is strong , but the company is clueless about consumers. Out of touch execs, products built by engineers for engineers

Garmin Photos