Garmin

www.garmin.com

Garmin Reviews in Kansas City, MO

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing(in 17 reviews)

• Great benefits and they take care of their employees(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • The big con here is that there is very little structure for career path development(in 10 reviews)

• It's hard to move up in the ranks while working in Salem(in 5 reviews)

157 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsGood placer to work with good benefits

ConsBad salary and bad workplace beverage

Advice to Senior ManagementGood

Solid Internship

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsGarmin has a very well thought out internship program. It is obvious that it is not the first time they have hired 170 college students for 10 weeks. Mentors are there for you when you need you but don't hover over your shoulder the entire day.

ConsI was only there a few months so it is hard to say.

Good place to start and thats it!

Software Engineer II (Former Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsGot to learn a lot in the begining. Technology was innovative. Excellent benefits. Great mentors that pull you along very well. Kind of flexible hours. No parking problems.

ConsHeavy micro management. No room for growth. You do similar stuff for years. Late to market. Low pay. Review system is terrible. Only designed to find flaws. Low raises, low bonuses, if any. No room for promotions. Very conservative upper management all the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to new ideas. Reward employees more than once a year. Don't nickle and dime for every thing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good benefits for a dead end job.

Product Support Specialist (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsBenefits like health and dental are really good.
    Monday through Friday work schedule.
    Fun annual trip to Worlds of Fun and Christmas party.

ConsLittle actual technical troubleshooting involved. Most calls are from people that do not know where the start button is on their computer. Make sure you would be ok with giving computer lessons to your grandparents for 8 hours a day.
    All time off comes out of your PTO regardless of if you are on vacation or sick.
    Low pay and small yearly raises like 25 to 50 cents per hour if you can manage to get one.
    The annual raise structure is setup so that no matter how you do, x amount of people in a team will receive nothing.
    Very few people advance out of the call center once they start there.
    Toxic work environment where coworkers are pitted against each other for the few advancement opportunities that exist.
    Little to no guidance from management or HR for career growth.
    Rigid attendance point system.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease invest more resources into your call center employees so they can contribute more to the company. Most of us started as Product Support at Garmin because we thought if we worked hard enough we would be given opportunities to learn things besides how to answer phones. Some jobs at headquarters could be handled by existing call center employees with a few weeks of training but are instead given to interns and new graduates. I would highly recommend rotating middle management and periodically give Product Support associates different tasks. Something really should be done to improve a perception of career stagnation at the call center.

Good place to start

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsGood work ethics and innovative

ConsNot competitive pay and relatively very conservative

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand in to other areas. Look for growth

Great culture and great people to work with

Product Support Specialist (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsBenefits, company culture, laid back but hard working culture, health initiatives

ConsHard to move up. Several lateral moves available. Too many policy changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGarmin is an innovative company but don't be too conservative as several products get to the market too late. Garmin needs to innovate early and be the first to market.

Its awesome

Internet Architect (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsBenefits location people challenging work

ConsSalary work environment parking cafeteria

Love it here

Internet Architect (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsWork life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing. Garmin encourages a healthy balance. Truly appreciate that about Garmin.

ConsExtremely conservative senior management means we're usually a little late to the game. But we make up for it typically in execution.

Good benefits, flexible hours, great culture

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsThe 401k matching is really terrific, and the health insurance options are very nice. The people here are very nice, and most of them are very helpful with any questions. The hours are flexible (work extra one day to leave early another, start anytime between 7-9 and work until 4-6, etc.), which makes it much easier to take a little time off at odd times for family and such. The atmosphere is very relaxed aside from some times around deadlines. No parking hierarchy, just first-come, first-served for parking spots (and there is even a parking garage). They allow short notice for time off, though they prefer at least a week or so.

ConsMany positions sort of expect more than 40 hours per week, though it isn't explicitly required.

Good not great

General Accountant (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsBest benefits around. Employer paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 401k match and pension, and stock purchase plan.

ConsLow pay compared to every other company around. No room to advance. If you aren't an engineer you don't matter. A lot of micro-management at all levels of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the mid-level managers so you don't have to micro-manage every aspect of the organization. Keeping non-engineers happy is important too.

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!