Garmin Reviews

Reset
3.9
Garmin President and CEO Clifton Pemble
Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits and time off policies (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is that there is very little structure for career path development (in 11 reviews)

• At Garmin, you can get a title change but there's very little to no financial reward in it, so what's the point (in 6 reviews)

1. Great Benefits

Current Employee - Intern in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Intern in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin

Pros

Great benefits and offer a lot of opportunities for insurance as well as discounts on Garmin products. Very well structured internship program that allows for you to get to see how you will fit into the company.

Cons

A lot of verification work and reviewing of other peoples code.

2. Meh

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job, benefits are good, training is fast, decent pay for work

Cons

Systems we use to take calls and keep track of scheduled break are awful, not much room for growth, one raise a year unless you get written up, if you trained in more areas you don't get raises, and point system for missing days

Advice to Management

Give raises if you train someone in something new.

3. Java developer

Current Employee - Java Developer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment and excellent team environment. Perfect work life balance.

Cons

Lateral movement is a little difficult due to relatively flat structure. Growth can become stagnant.

5. A good stepping stone if you are looking for more.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits...... Education reimbursement is great. There are many resources to better your career, even if you don't stay with Garmin these are tools that you can use at your next job!!

Cons

Advancement is not based off merit. You need to call a hotline everyday to determine if you are working two hours of overtime. You can be held accountable for company policies. Even if you have been told incorrectly by your superiors. THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY!!! I was not given the attendance policy until six months in. And it was extremely vague leaving room for interpretation. Absolutely no training. (The newbies train the new hires) Forced to work 12 hour days.

Advice to Management

I have come across associates who can barely understand what I am saying. I ask them to do something, and they cannot comprehend. This is mainly in the warehouse. This disturbs me mainly because if you are a picker, or in receiving, or VA, or anything having to do with operations, comprehension is just as important as being able to read and speak English. How can I effectively communicate with someone who can't understand what I am saying? C'mon HR!! Shift deviation is a wonderful tool. But if you are already forced to work 10 hours of overtime per week, you have to add any hours you deviate on top of that as well. So it is better to take the day off. Too much management...too many fingers in the cookie jar!! Human Resources are really for management not the associates. If you have a problem, more than likely they will belittle you and take their side. Here at Garmin there is the framework for success. You have excellent programs that make it seem like you are a company that cares. But the people you have put in place to govern others have no checks or balances. There is no accountability. Many associates started out with a positive attitude about Garmin. Within a year, they are all just getting a paycheck, waiting on another and better offer.

Ok

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits , smart engineers, 401k and pension. Low cost of living , very laid back , occasionally good projects and ideas

Cons

Politics , directors and managers with less to no product knowledge especially on the declining markets , no push for innovation or new markets , laid back management, personal favoritism , appraisals are a joke .

Advice to Management

Improve accountability for directors / managers , make them responsible for products and decisions. Increase transparency .

7. Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Garmin has great benefits and treat their employees well with plenty of activity in and outside the company to create a fun working environment.

Cons

Compensation is not the greatest and the available parking space is a problem when arriving to work during or after rush hour.

8. Great Place to be

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Olathe, KS
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They treat you well They feed you sometimes They are casual in appearance and serious in work ethic

Cons

Their product line isn't as compelling as some of the competition

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

9. Benefits kept me for 6yrs, but it was miserable.

Former Employee - Reverse Logistics Operator in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Reverse Logistics Operator in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You cannot beat Garmin's benefits. Their health insurance is absolutely amazing, you start earning PTO when you start work, and they offer some really great deals on products.

Cons

I heard from friends this is completely different outside of Operations/Warehouse, but, they treat you so terribly. My department literally had this loud buzzer telling us when we could leave for break and lunch, and when we should be back. Management treats you like you're worthless and they look down on you. The atmosphere was miserable - giving you the mentality to just keep your head down, strive to meet ridiculous numbers, and kiss any thought of a decent raise goodbye. Also, moving up is a rarity in this company, no matter where you are.

Advice to Management

Humble yourself. We all knew you all had the mentality of "they don't have to like me." But it sure does make life better if you have a decent relationship with your subordinates.

10. Steady Paycheck..... That's it

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on with devices, not just manuals Good benefits, medical, dental, vision, etc. Great employee discount on devices and with other companies for other products Pleasant coworkers Not overly metric driven No call time restriction with a customer Fun activities to participate in like corp challenge and marathon and game nights

Cons

Slow computers for a tech company Management will "blacksheep" you if you have any mistakes (metrics, attendance, etc) Lots of supervisors were hired from outside the company instead of promoting from within, no advancement opportunities Not a challenge, just a steady check, gets repetitively boring being a robot that talks Low on the pay scale

Advice to Management

Hire an acessor to determine what is needed and not needed, position wise and employee wise.

great company but...

Former Employee - Software Engineer/Technical Lead in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer/Technical Lead in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin

Pros

Great benefits and perks. Very in depth training course. Flexible scheduling is a plus. Overall office moral is pleasant. HQ is amazing inside.. indescribable.

Cons

No room for growth if you start in the call center. Building facilities are not always the cleanest. Very clicky in the office and promotions are non existent.

Advice to Management

More mentor time. Stop creating the false impression of moving into another position. The call center feels like a dorm room sometimes.

RSS Feed </> Embed