Garmin

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.7

Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits and they take care of their employees (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is that there is very little structure for career path development (in 11 reviews)

• Little to no guidance from management or HR for career growth (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

167 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The BEST workplace in KC

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin

Pros

workplace environment
    awesome benefits
    top notch management

Cons

need more PTO
    need more training classes

Don't work in I.T. department

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Caring company with a sense of purpose and fantastic benefits

Cons

I worked in the I.T. department and I would recommend that anyone try to avoid that department and go to engineering or aviation instead. There is more flexibility in other departments with a more positive atmosphere. I.T. leadership told us to drive to work during blizzards or else take vacation time; meanwhile other departments were working from home. This was representative of some overall negativity that I experienced in I.T. that didn't seem to permeate other departments.

Remake the I.T. department

Fun culture, engaging work

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Garmin's culture is relaxed but motivating. I've seen senior management dress up for Halloween, but we're doing serious work too. Lots of intelligent engineers, so it's a great place to continually hone your skills. They are committed to their employees and hire slowly to avoid the need to lay off later when projects finish. Garmin is improving its training offerings, both technical and inter-personal, and in the last couple of years has gotten much better in that area.
    Because of the various divisions and the vertical integration style of the company, there are usually lots of internal opportunities if you are not happy with your current position. Many of my coworkers have transferred in or out of my group from/to other groups.
    Overall, Garmin does a pretty good job of maintaining a culture that feels almost like a startup (outside of Aviation, which necessarily is more process driven).

Cons

Slow hiring means that we are always pretty busy as we could almost always use some more people.
    Promotions are still guided mainly by time, not skill level.
    Management can be slow on the public recognition of good efforts, but they are working on that.

Nice place to work right out of college.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Typically decent working hours with a lot of intelligent people.
    Recently added more opportunities to advance.
    Good healthcare. Friendly working environment. Team leads are promoted from engineers who typically know the products well.

Cons

Managers are frequently promoted from engineering staff, but are not always the most interested in actually being a manager. At the time upper management did not appear to care that compensation was below average for the area. This has since been adjusted.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good level of work, very regular hours, great people to work with, everyone seems to have a positive view of the company.

Cons

Sometimes feels like the culture is very conservative in spending or rewarding employees. Overall not an issue though.

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits. The developers that I work with are some the best I've ever worked with (and I've been in the industry for a long time)

Cons

The pay isn't terrible, but it is a little on the lower side of the pay scale for this area.

Lack of Leadership

Former Employee - Marketing Communications in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

+ 40-hour work week
    + Benefits
    + Work/life balance = Leave every day by 5:00
    + Relaxed Culture

Cons

+ Shoulder Shrug Management "Not my problem"
    + No Clear Career Direction
    + Lack of Accountability
    + No Leaders

Management would rather shuffle problematic employees from team to team and group to group vs. dealing with them. So instead of stopping the problem, it only grows as poor-performing employees move from team to team and get new titles / fewer responsibilities

Fantastic Place to Work

Current Employee - Intern in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Intern in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Garmin's work environment is second to none. Casual dress code and associates really love their jobs. The people are very friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

Lack of structure and organization. Garmin seems to not know where they want to go with the company. They are always playing catch up. (Ex. GoPro vs Virb or FitBit vs VivoFit)

There needs to be more time training for the job. Being thrown into the fire can be a good experience but also very frustrating at times.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place for hardware design - exposure to all levels of design/testing/validation/production. Work environment is top notch - friendly, intelligent, honest, hard-working, and honest individuals are the type that are hired by Garmin, which makes for a great day every day.

Cons

This is a very fast paced workplace, which can prove too much for some. Overall, I don't have many downsides to working here.

Call Center is horrible, things are probably much better at HQ

Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent health benefits. Flexible hours if you are needing to work around school or childcare.

Cons

The call center atmosphere is horrible. You are totally disconnected from the Head Quarters. Management is terrible. There is a god awful point system in place. You get dinged if you sneeze funny. Going to the restroom? Make sure you log that into your phone. Forgot to log back in? Sorry, you're going to get docked for that. Extremely micromanaged.

They have a team that scores your emails and recorded phone calls. They will try so hard to find the smallest mistake. Even if they are incorrect, you can try to fight it, but to no avail.

Getting time off for major holidays is not easy. You can request time off 6 months in advance, but everyone is gunning for the same days. First come, first served. Only a small percentage of the staff can have certain days off. If you work 2nd shift, you will not be included in any of the company get togethers or family events. Look out during United Way time. Garmin will VERY strongly encourage you to have a pre-set donation to be automatically taken out of every paycheck. (I'm all for charity, but at my own discretion).

You have to share a desk with people on other shifts. Disgusting.

Garmin Photos