Garmin

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015
3.7

Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits and they take care of their employees (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is that there is very little structure for career path development (in 11 reviews)

• Little to no guidance from management or HR for career growth (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Internship

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Olathe, KS
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, great pay, very flexible. Overall very happy with the internship I had. I would highly recommend this comoany to anyone.

Cons

Sometimes the work load can be overwhelming, but other employee's are always willing to help if it is needed.

Internship was mostly positive

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Olathe, KS
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The work I was given added value to the team and was challenging.

Cons

I worked on a project with a very large code base and did not feel up to speed with it by the time the internship was over because I most of the internship working on one task.

Start interns off with some smaller tasks to get them familiar with the codebase, workflow, and developement environment before giving them a large project.

Overall, good company to work for.

Former Employee - Software Engineering Assistant in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Assistant in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin

Pros

Some very cool people to work along side of. There seemed to be good opportunity to advance. Also, the products are great! Interns are treated well and and given hands on experience.

Cons

The pay scale was definitely in favor of the company. Pay raises were also not very good. Most employees didn't get bonuses either.

Make the people in the lower end of the pay scale happy with something better than a $200 bonus and a Thanksgiving turkey. Better yet, give them much better pay.

A great place to find your niche

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin

Pros

Homegrown, innovative, worldwide, great culture, Automotive and Fitness arenas are growing strong

Cons

Garmin has been an incredible [lace to grow my skills. I have found my niche in process and procedural documentation in the OEM market

Great industry exposure, but narrow-minded

Former Intern - Design Engineer Intern in Olathe, KS
    Former Intern - Design Engineer Intern in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Garmin makes it obvious from the start that they are dedicated to achieving a great work-life balance. The offices at HQ are fresh and very well maintained and inspiring at times. In-house training courses and tuition reimbursement, as well as several other very impressive benefits, The internship program within the aviation department exposes you to several aspects of the design process, from initial research and prototyping to FAA certification.

Cons

The aviation department is relatively awkward as a whole, with most employees fitting the stereotypical engineer personality. After talking to several FT employees, promotions seem based off of longevity rather than work performance and achievements. Additionally, there is a convoluted management hierarchy in every department. My supervisor was also unmerciful in adjusting my internship's timeline after I fell ill for the better part of a week -- very stressful trying to balance demanding work and illness.

Create more opportunities for advancement due to personal achievement rather than longevity.

Work Life Balance and No Passion

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Garmin is the kind of place that you go to work when you want something safe, with adequate pay, decent benefits, and a 40 hr a week load because your life emphasis is outside the workplace. The headquarters location in suburban Kansas City ironically mirrors this sentiment. A suburban utopia of highly rated schools and from a national perspective- relatively affordable housing opportunities make an ideal location for the family oriented employee.

Cons

Garmin is not the place to work if you want to light the world on fire, want upward mobility, financial reward or future opportunity. The future prospectus is murky as portable navigation devices have fallen out of favor, forcing Garmin to look to emerging and third world markets to make up the slack, shift the identity of the company to a fitness-oriented focus, and deal with the ever increasing competition in what was historically their exclusive space from giants such as Apple, Google and Microsoft. If you're awesome and you know it, look elsewhere.

Consolidate the number of product segments that you are pursuing. Either change the culture through demanding effort and providing more compensation or reach acceptance that you will have to retreat with your space under attack from competitors with superior talent and funding.

Aviation Software

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Decent salary for the area. Decent benefits. I hear good things about the non-avation-segments at garmin (Personal Navigation Devices, fitness, outdoor, marine).

Cons

Aviation is necessarily slow. Be prepared to work with tools that are well over 20 years old, mostly home grown. Most of management is made of former engineers. Unfortunately, most of them started as EEs and do not understand software. Most believe C is the ideal language for any and every problem faced in the field (actually, a few admitted to me they'd prefer to develop our customer facing GUIs in assembly language).

You'll frequently get pulled of of your project for weeks at a time to help other teams test their code. This mostly means getting code coverage.

There are very few opportunities for learning. Management makes no attempt to keep you up-to-date with the happenings of computer science or the latest tools/technology for engineering software.

I can't recommend getting a job in Garmin's aviation segment unless you're prepared to spend your career there. You won't acquire very many marketable skills.

Embrace change more. You won't keep talent around long if they're forced to test other people's crappy code and work with incredibly antiquated technology. Lose the one-size-fits-all approach for C. It'll be worth it to invest the time certifying new technologies--you'll attract younger, more talented engineers and retain them.

Benefits are very competitive

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working in engineering is very relaxed and not so stressed like other departments

Cons

Starting pay is not competitive

Do onto others as you would like them do unto you

Great place to work

Former Employee - Engineering Support in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Engineering Support in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

very stable. Very competent workforce. Strong engineering team. Strong Operations team.

Cons

very conservative culture. Managers are not very well equipped to help employees grow in their career. The tendency is for management to treat everyone the same rather than rewarding top employees and correcting substandard employees.

Listen to what employees want from their job, what motivates them, and what makes them happy

Garmin is the best place I have worked

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to solve problems.
    Get to work on a variety of projects.
    Liberal time off.
    Great benefits.
    Provides great equipment to work with.

Cons

Everyone dosent carry the same load sometimes you have to pick up othe team members.
    Long hours when deadlines approach.

Do a better job selecting mid and low level managment.

Garmin Photos