Garmin Reviews

Updated August 30, 2014
Updated August 30, 2014
3.8

Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing (in 17 reviews)

• Great benefits and they take care of their employees (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • The big con here is that there is very little structure for career path development (in 10 reviews)

• It's hard to move up in the ranks while working in Salem (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place for hardware design - exposure to all levels of design/testing/validation/production. Work environment is top notch - friendly, intelligent, honest, hard-working, and honest individuals are the type that are hired by Garmin, which makes for a great day every day.

Cons

This is a very fast paced workplace, which can prove too much for some. Overall, I don't have many downsides to working here.

Excellent work-life balance and benefits

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at Garmin full-time

Pros

One of the few technology companies that understands that pool tables and gourmet lunches do not constitute work-life balance. The time off is generous and I'm encouraged to use it, even on short notice. The health coverage is an excellent value and the pension and 401(k) contributions are generous. The organization is very meritocratic, with management full of former engineers who are happy to listen to good ideas.

Cons

Lower than average compensation. The work facilities are decent, but cubicles can feel constricting at times. My overall experience is probably skewed from working at a small subsidiary, where we enjoy slightly better benefits, more contact with our management, and likely more control over our projects than at Garmin's main office.

Great Company, poor management at this level.

Current Employee - Material Handler  in  Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive pay
    Easy to learn job
    Overtime available but not usually required
    Strong product discounts
    Lots of company events

Cons

Little/No growth opportunity or room to move up
    Supervisors are not very useful and it usually requires a manager to get anything done.

Ensure your lower managers and supervisors are doing their jobs and playing essential roles in the company. Our supervisor is useless and we would be much more well suited with a competent department lead instead.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Engineering at Garmin is very hands on for every level of engineer. The working environment is tailored for product development. Engineers can make decisions that effect almost every aspect of the product.

Cons

When competition comes, Garmin does not always put their best foot forward. Innovation is compromised for schedule and product cost. Many of the executives are engineers that seem to have forgotten what it is like as a design engineer.

Lead your teams in a way that gives them a vested interest in making amazing products. Remember that the "product is everything".

Average pay, but some of the best benefits and amenities around.

Current Employee - Technical Writer  in  Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Friendly, outgoing coworkers, for the most part.
    Excellent health insurance, 401k, stock purchase plan, and other benefits.
    Very health-conscious environment where activity is highly encouraged and supported.
    Excellent amenities such as a cafeteria, a Starbucks, a parking garage, a workout room, and locker rooms.

Cons

The company seems to be meeting-heavy, and decisions take longer than they should.

Keep taking the temperature of your employee attitudes on a regular basis and making adjustments as needed. I've seen positive changes in the past couple of years; keep it up!

Both good and bad

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are a lot of really talented people working here. They offer flex time, a very good 401K and very good health insurance. They also have a completely casual dress code.

Cons

Upper management micro-manages everything. They stifle innovation. They like to think that all employees are equal even though some produce much more than average.

Let the people who know their jobs have more input into what happens. Don't pay average salaries and expect to keep above average employees. Remember that your employees are your most important asset.

Good place to start out, easy to feel lost in the sea of engineers.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Long term stability, very nice people everywhere. I've made a lot of good friendships here. There is only as much pressure as you want there to be. The company is also large enough that if you don't like where you are, you can probably go elsewhere without switching employers.

Cons

Raises are barely over cost-of-living generally and the work can feel a little "behind the times" sometimes.

They hire some of the best available locally, most everyone is wonderful to work with.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great experience for interns and good first job to learn about the software engineering process.

Cons

They have been growing for a number of years and were focused on whatever it took to make money. They are finally beginning to focus on managing the internal business. It's just very slow going!!!!!!

Settle on a review system and make the grading consistent across the company.

Good start, but limited opportunities.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time

Pros

Relaxed and friendly work environment. Not a bad place to start work and get experience. Potential to work on some consumer products.

Cons

Severally under pay compared to the rest of the market. Lack of upward job mobility. Not a work place that rewards monetarily.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at Garmin are great to work with. Benefits are awesome and management is flexible about work schedules and time off. Very fitness-minded, work/life balance is excellent.

Cons

Lack of structure and organization can be frustrating. Seems we are changing direction often, and with what appears to be very little forethought. There is always something new, which is soon abandoned for the next new trend in process management

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!