Garmin

www.garmin.com

Garmin Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing (in 17 reviews)

• Great benefits and they take care of their employees (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • The big con here is that there is very little structure for career path development (in 10 reviews)

• It's hard to move up in the ranks while working in Salem (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsEngineering at Garmin is very hands on for every level of engineer. The working environment is tailored for product development. Engineers can make decisions that effect almost every aspect of the product.

ConsWhen competition comes, Garmin does not always put their best foot forward. Innovation is compromised for schedule and product cost. Many of the executives are engineers that seem to have forgotten what it is like as a design engineer.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead your teams in a way that gives them a vested interest in making amazing products. Remember that the "product is everything".

Good

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsGood placer to work with good benefits

ConsBad salary and bad workplace beverage

Advice to Senior ManagementGood

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsThe people at Garmin are great to work with. Benefits are awesome and management is flexible about work schedules and time off. Very fitness-minded, work/life balance is excellent.

ConsLack of structure and organization can be frustrating. Seems we are changing direction often, and with what appears to be very little forethought. There is always something new, which is soon abandoned for the next new trend in process management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start and thats it!

Software Engineer II (Former Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsGot to learn a lot in the begining. Technology was innovative. Excellent benefits. Great mentors that pull you along very well. Kind of flexible hours. No parking problems.

ConsHeavy micro management. No room for growth. You do similar stuff for years. Late to market. Low pay. Review system is terrible. Only designed to find flaws. Low raises, low bonuses, if any. No room for promotions. Very conservative upper management all the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to new ideas. Reward employees more than once a year. Don't nickle and dime for every thing.

Good benefits for a dead end job.

Product Support Specialist (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsBenefits like health and dental are really good.
    Monday through Friday work schedule.
    Fun annual trip to Worlds of Fun and Christmas party.

ConsLittle actual technical troubleshooting involved. Most calls are from people that do not know where the start button is on their computer. Make sure you would be ok with giving computer lessons to your grandparents for 8 hours a day.
    All time off comes out of your PTO regardless of if you are on vacation or sick.
    Low pay and small yearly raises like 25 to 50 cents per hour if you can manage to get one.
    The annual raise structure is setup so that no matter how you do, x amount of people in a team will receive nothing.
    Very few people advance out of the call center once they start there.
    Toxic work environment where coworkers are pitted against each other for the few advancement opportunities that exist.
    Little to no guidance from management or HR for career growth.
    Rigid attendance point system.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease invest more resources into your call center employees so they can contribute more to the company. Most of us started as Product Support at Garmin because we thought if we worked hard enough we would be given opportunities to learn things besides how to answer phones. Some jobs at headquarters could be handled by existing call center employees with a few weeks of training but are instead given to interns and new graduates. I would highly recommend rotating middle management and periodically give Product Support associates different tasks. Something really should be done to improve a perception of career stagnation at the call center.

Good place to start

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsGood work ethics and innovative

ConsNot competitive pay and relatively very conservative

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand in to other areas. Look for growth

Solid Internship

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsGarmin has a very well thought out internship program. It is obvious that it is not the first time they have hired 170 college students for 10 weeks. Mentors are there for you when you need you but don't hover over your shoulder the entire day.

ConsI was only there a few months so it is hard to say.

Senior Software Engineer

ProsGreat work life balance. Great benefits and time off policies

ConsSalary compensation could be better. Could be a little more transparent and a more open company.

Great culture and great people to work with

Product Support Specialist (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsBenefits, company culture, laid back but hard working culture, health initiatives

ConsHard to move up. Several lateral moves available. Too many policy changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGarmin is an innovative company but don't be too conservative as several products get to the market too late. Garmin needs to innovate early and be the first to market.

It is a paycheck

Customer Care (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsGreat health insurance, great co-workers, HR is friendly, good management

ConsRanking system, personal growth is non-existent in call center environment, pay is low

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider changes to the ranking and raise system.

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!