Garmin Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
291 reviews filtered by
3.8
Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits and they take care of their employees (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is that there is very little structure for career path development (in 11 reviews)

• Little to no guidance from management or HR for career growth (in 6 reviews)

1. Engineer

I have been working at Garmin

Pros

great benefits
    work/play environment
    teamwork all around

Cons

cafeteria is pricey
    provide more company group activities

Wonderful workplace

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great and there is no shortage of challenging work to be had. Managers and senior engineers work side by side with even new hires from day one making it a very comfortable workplace.

Cons

Being in the aviation department can be tiresome after a time because of all the regulations and red tape involved. I find myself fighting vaguely worded FAA documents as much as normal work.

Keep up the personal relationships you already have with employees. It really makes a difference.

I have been working at Garmin

Pros

Garmin is very engineer oriented and offers excellent benefits. You get to work on products that customers use in their daily lives. Garmin affords plenty of opportunities to move up.

Cons

New employee training isn't very well developed, especially for new college grads. Also, not quite as much vacation time as others in the tech field

Continue to keep up the appreciation of the engineers creating the products. Adding to the new employee training with team-specific trainings could prove very beneficial.

The company had a good culture of innovation.

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Kansas City, KS
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Garmin as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very helpful and ready to give you a hand whenever you need something. Everyone is smart and innovative.

Cons

It is quite hard to climb the corporate ladder. You can be easily stucked in your position and possibly just progress every five years.

The management is doing a great job in setting the vision and direction of where the company is going. Maybe make it easier for employees to advance within the company or move between divisions.

Just another corporation

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin

Pros

Stable Pay
    Stable Benefits
    No Dress Code

Cons

Everything pertains to aviation:
    First: You are brought in with basically zero training. Garmin uses a variety of homebrewed tools and frameworks, and you'll be expected to learn them all with the very little documentation provided. You can ask your teammates/mentor for help, but they'll be so busy, that it will be hard to aquire time from them. Certain teams work their employees so hard, that you can feel how miserable their lives are with every conversation.

Next, you'll be given asinine requirements from your manager. I tried to partake in some of the social groups at Garmin(as I was new to KC), and my manager harped on me for not being in my chair for ~90% of the work day. I never felt treated like such a child. Personally, I found the work dull and boring. I can't sit in a chair for 9 hours 5-6 days a week without becoming extremely burnt out. You'll hear that term thrown around a lot, by the way. Everyone is talking about burn out. My current job, I have yet to hear one person say burn-out.

Good luck getting promoted. Upward mobility is like winning the lottery in this company. Everyone is to complacent with the 3 promotions they'll receive during their career here. Everyone is complacent with the 1-3% raises you'll get every year. Everyone is complacent with $200 bonus and the $20 gift card to Walmart.

This job has way too much stress to warrant such lack of career development.

Find out which groups in your company are unhappy, and do your best to fix that. There is way to many poor middle management that is wearing down your workforce.

Sometimes fun, sometimes dull

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best reason was team members and projects you get to work on. Products are cutting edge but work can get monotonous with time. Excitment at work depends on the team you are on.

Cons

Once you do something, you keep getting assigned same tasks for next projects and it gets boring.

Kansas is not a place people are desperate to cone to work. Do not let people who are working for you leave for small things.

8. Internship was mostly positive

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Olathe, KS
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The work I was given added value to the team and was challenging.

Cons

I worked on a project with a very large code base and did not feel up to speed with it by the time the internship was over because I most of the internship working on one task.

Start interns off with some smaller tasks to get them familiar with the codebase, workflow, and developement environment before giving them a large project.

9. Great Internship

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Olathe, KS
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, great pay, very flexible. Overall very happy with the internship I had. I would highly recommend this comoany to anyone.

Cons

Sometimes the work load can be overwhelming, but other employee's are always willing to help if it is needed.

10. Overall, good company to work for.

Former Employee - Software Engineering Assistant in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Assistant in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin

Pros

Some very cool people to work along side of. There seemed to be good opportunity to advance. Also, the products are great! Interns are treated well and and given hands on experience.

Cons

The pay scale was definitely in favor of the company. Pay raises were also not very good. Most employees didn't get bonuses either.

Make the people in the lower end of the pay scale happy with something better than a $200 bonus and a Thanksgiving turkey. Better yet, give them much better pay.

A great place to find your niche

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin

Pros

Homegrown, innovative, worldwide, great culture, Automotive and Fitness arenas are growing strong

Cons

Garmin has been an incredible [lace to grow my skills. I have found my niche in process and procedural documentation in the OEM market

Garmin Photos