Garmin Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.7

Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing (in 20 reviews)

• Great benefits and they take care of their employees (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is that there is very little structure for career path development (in 11 reviews)

• Little to no guidance from management or HR for career growth (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic Place to Work

Current Employee - Intern in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Intern in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Garmin's work environment is second to none. Casual dress code and associates really love their jobs. The people are very friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

Lack of structure and organization. Garmin seems to not know where they want to go with the company. They are always playing catch up. (Ex. GoPro vs Virb or FitBit vs VivoFit)

There needs to be more time training for the job. Being thrown into the fire can be a good experience but also very frustrating at times.

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Garmin full-time

Pros

Good company, popular company.Asked me lot of question about pointer and data structure

Cons

I dont know about cons

Great Company, but poor management.

I have been working at Garmin full-time

Pros

Excellent health benefits. Flexible work hours when needed. Casual dress code and the people are very friendly.

Cons

The biggest con is that there is very little structure for career path development.
    Supervisors are not very useful, rather micro managing their team, and it usually requires a manager to get anything done. Male associates are clearly favored for any manager or lead positions.

Software Engineer Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Garmin as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern I worked on software real projects. Some of the work involved debugging or verifying production quality software but the majority of my time was spent on developing an internal tool. I was given the project at the start of my internship and told to run with it. I designed, implemented, debugged, and updated my tool as the internship progressed. It was great to be working on my own project and implementing useful code instead of simply debugging someone else’s code or getting someone coffee.

Cons

No real cons come to mind, but there is a 20 word minimum so… bla bla bla bla bla

Great place to work

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place for hardware design - exposure to all levels of design/testing/validation/production. Work environment is top notch - friendly, intelligent, honest, hard-working, and honest individuals are the type that are hired by Garmin, which makes for a great day every day.

Cons

This is a very fast paced workplace, which can prove too much for some. Overall, I don't have many downsides to working here.

Call Center is horrible, things are probably much better at HQ

Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent health benefits. Flexible hours if you are needing to work around school or childcare.

Cons

The call center atmosphere is horrible. You are totally disconnected from the Head Quarters. Management is terrible. There is a god awful point system in place. You get dinged if you sneeze funny. Going to the restroom? Make sure you log that into your phone. Forgot to log back in? Sorry, you're going to get docked for that. Extremely micromanaged.

They have a team that scores your emails and recorded phone calls. They will try so hard to find the smallest mistake. Even if they are incorrect, you can try to fight it, but to no avail.

Getting time off for major holidays is not easy. You can request time off 6 months in advance, but everyone is gunning for the same days. First come, first served. Only a small percentage of the staff can have certain days off. If you work 2nd shift, you will not be included in any of the company get togethers or family events. Look out during United Way time. Garmin will VERY strongly encourage you to have a pre-set donation to be automatically taken out of every paycheck. (I'm all for charity, but at my own discretion).

You have to share a desk with people on other shifts. Disgusting.

Excellent work-life balance and benefits

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at Garmin full-time

Pros

One of the few technology companies that understands that pool tables and gourmet lunches do not constitute work-life balance. The time off is generous and I'm encouraged to use it, even on short notice. The health coverage is an excellent value and the pension and 401(k) contributions are generous. The organization is very meritocratic, with management full of former engineers who are happy to listen to good ideas.

Cons

Lower than average compensation. The work facilities are decent, but cubicles can feel constricting at times. My overall experience is probably skewed from working at a small subsidiary, where we enjoy slightly better benefits, more contact with our management, and likely more control over our projects than at Garmin's main office.

Great Company, poor management at this level.

Current Employee - Material Handler in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay
    Easy to learn job
    Overtime available but not usually required
    Strong product discounts
    Lots of company events

Cons

Little/No growth opportunity or room to move up
    Supervisors are not very useful and it usually requires a manager to get anything done.

Ensure your lower managers and supervisors are doing their jobs and playing essential roles in the company. Our supervisor is useless and we would be much more well suited with a competent department lead instead.

Average pay, but some of the best benefits and amenities around.

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly, outgoing coworkers, for the most part.
    Excellent health insurance, 401k, stock purchase plan, and other benefits.
    Very health-conscious environment where activity is highly encouraged and supported.
    Excellent amenities such as a cafeteria, a Starbucks, a parking garage, a workout room, and locker rooms.

Cons

The company seems to be meeting-heavy, and decisions take longer than they should.

Keep taking the temperature of your employee attitudes on a regular basis and making adjustments as needed. I've seen positive changes in the past couple of years; keep it up!

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Engineering at Garmin is very hands on for every level of engineer. The working environment is tailored for product development. Engineers can make decisions that effect almost every aspect of the product.

Cons

When competition comes, Garmin does not always put their best foot forward. Innovation is compromised for schedule and product cost. Many of the executives are engineers that seem to have forgotten what it is like as a design engineer.

Lead your teams in a way that gives them a vested interest in making amazing products. Remember that the "product is everything".

Garmin Photos