Garmin Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
296 reviews filtered by
3.8
Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits and they take care of their employees (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is that there is very little structure for career path development (in 11 reviews)

• Little to no guidance from management or HR for career growth (in 6 reviews)

1. Excellent employer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, excellent benefits, stable company, good 401k and PTO

Cons

Pay is less than competitors, no stock options, not a lot of upward mobility

2. Aviation Engineer Test Tech

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Garmin as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great people all around! The support is there for those that are looking to do better

Cons

Politics are a little heavy but I find that most have to deal with it on some level regardless of the company.

Advice to Management

Create more support networks to further promotion from within.

3. Rewarding and innovative projects in a laid-back environment

Current Employee - Kansas in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Kansas in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time

Pros

Garmin has exciting products, encourages innovation, has management with an Engineering mindset, and has a lot of benefits.

Cons

There aren't a lot of downsides, but some may find the salary to be average, and the headquarters office building is spread out and some parts don't have a lot of windows.

5. Engineer

I have been working at Garmin

Pros

great benefits
    work/play environment
    teamwork all around

Cons

cafeteria is pricey
    provide more company group activities

6. Good benefits, but that's not all that makes a good workplace.

I worked at Garmin full-time

Pros

There were some good basic benefits at Garmin. Many of the people were great to work with and committed to doing the best job possible.

Cons

The departments are very fragmented and communication from top to bottom is limited. Overall morale is very weak. Benefits are good, but not as valuable as implied for all employees. Pay is not competitive.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with employees, keeping the lines of communication open. In general, people do not feel comfortable sharing their ideas or concerns.

Wonderful workplace

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great and there is no shortage of challenging work to be had. Managers and senior engineers work side by side with even new hires from day one making it a very comfortable workplace.

Cons

Being in the aviation department can be tiresome after a time because of all the regulations and red tape involved. I find myself fighting vaguely worded FAA documents as much as normal work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the personal relationships you already have with employees. It really makes a difference.

I have been working at Garmin

Pros

Garmin is very engineer oriented and offers excellent benefits. You get to work on products that customers use in their daily lives. Garmin affords plenty of opportunities to move up.

Cons

New employee training isn't very well developed, especially for new college grads. Also, not quite as much vacation time as others in the tech field

Advice to Management

Continue to keep up the appreciation of the engineers creating the products. Adding to the new employee training with team-specific trainings could prove very beneficial.

The company had a good culture of innovation.

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Kansas City, KS
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Garmin as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very helpful and ready to give you a hand whenever you need something. Everyone is smart and innovative.

Cons

It is quite hard to climb the corporate ladder. You can be easily stucked in your position and possibly just progress every five years.

Advice to Management

The management is doing a great job in setting the vision and direction of where the company is going. Maybe make it easier for employees to advance within the company or move between divisions.

Just another corporation

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin

Pros

Stable Pay
    Stable Benefits
    No Dress Code

Cons

Everything pertains to aviation:
    First: You are brought in with basically zero training. Garmin uses a variety of homebrewed tools and frameworks, and you'll be expected to learn them all with the very little documentation provided. You can ask your teammates/mentor for help, but they'll be so busy, that it will be hard to aquire time from them. Certain teams work their employees so hard, that you can feel how miserable their lives are with every conversation.

Next, you'll be given asinine requirements from your manager. I tried to partake in some of the social groups at Garmin(as I was new to KC), and my manager harped on me for not being in my chair for ~90% of the work day. I never felt treated like such a child. Personally, I found the work dull and boring. I can't sit in a chair for 9 hours 5-6 days a week without becoming extremely burnt out. You'll hear that term thrown around a lot, by the way. Everyone is talking about burn out. My current job, I have yet to hear one person say burn-out.

Good luck getting promoted. Upward mobility is like winning the lottery in this company. Everyone is to complacent with the 3 promotions they'll receive during their career here. Everyone is complacent with the 1-3% raises you'll get every year. Everyone is complacent with $200 bonus and the $20 gift card to Walmart.

This job has way too much stress to warrant such lack of career development.

Advice to Management

Find out which groups in your company are unhappy, and do your best to fix that. There is way to many poor middle management that is wearing down your workforce.

Sometimes fun, sometimes dull

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best reason was team members and projects you get to work on. Products are cutting edge but work can get monotonous with time. Excitment at work depends on the team you are on.

Cons

Once you do something, you keep getting assigned same tasks for next projects and it gets boring.

Advice to Management

Kansas is not a place people are desperate to cone to work. Do not let people who are working for you leave for small things.