Garmin Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Garmin President and CEO Clifton Pemble
Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits and time off policies (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is that there is very little structure for career path development (in 11 reviews)

• At Garmin, you can get a title change but there's very little to no financial reward in it, so what's the point (in 6 reviews)

Talented people, good salary, too many meetings.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

Pros

I've only been working at Garmin for 18 months. I feel that it offers good paying work for people who are smart and on the ball. I haven't met any incompentant people there like I have at other companies.

Cons

There seems to be a lot of meetings, an excessive number at times (6-8 a week), it's really hard to get a four hour block to concentrate on software when there are meetings every 3 hours.

Advice to Management

You need to give more feedback to your employees, especially new ones. They have no idea if they are doing a good job or not.

Garmin is all in all a good company to work for

Current Employee - Order Administrater in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Order Administrater in Olathe, KS

Pros

The benefits are fantastic and the people you work with make the job worthwhile. It's an interesting industry because Garmin is a part of a lot of different markets. The pay is okay, but it makes it more worthwhile because of the great benefits. Internal communication between departments is excellent, and that really pays off.

Cons

If you are hourly, there are a LOT of rules about how to use your time, which gets hard to work around in your personal life. It's very susceptible to reactions in the consumer market so that is scary to deal with sometimes such as a recent layoff.

Advice to Management

That the mid level managers don't have enough accountability to answer to. It sometimes feels like no one is looking out for the little guy.

Call center, overall a six on a one through ten scale.

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS

Pros

Benefits, Monday through Friday schedule, and relaxed dress code.

Cons

Pay, disconnect between corporate employees and those at call center, no clear path for promotion.

Advice to Management

Pay us more than a cashier who works at Quicktrip. Provide clear paths for promotions. Make the call center less like other call centers. Be more generous with the Garmin equipment we are assigned so we can try out new models.

If you're young you should enjoy Garmin in SF.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

young and honest developers and managers. small size and particular friendliness will make it very personal. really good equipment and office location / furniture.

Cons

not enough senior developers. poor horizontal integration within the corporation makes it difficult to get things out the door. poor feedback / review processing. tyrannical rule of one/two devs.

Advice to Management

must focus on horizontal integration. hire more senior developers and less juniors. focus on quality rather than product line diversification.

Creative employees at Garmin are used and abused.

Current Employee - Design/Creative Aka: I'm Not Sayin' in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Design/Creative Aka: I'm Not Sayin' in Olathe, KS

Pros

Global name recognition. Benefits are good.

Cons

As a creative employee, I feel Garmin dismisses us as production artists. Most of all, HR and department heads outside of the creative groups have no idea what we do. And this is across the board from Industrial Design to Marketing. The major creative decisions made at Garmin are most often decided by people completely out of touch with creativity and style. I mean these guys (some of them) buy their clothes at Walmart and drive Ford Focuses. How do they qualify in deciding what looks nice? They have Engineering backgrounds and are interested in numbers, not colors. It makes no sense. Shouldn't the creative decisions be made by the Directors of creative departments and their employees? As far as pay scale, Garmin still puts emphasis on engineering rather than creativity. And I know what some starting Engineers get paid out of college. Does $15k seem like a reasonable difference for starting salaries between engineering and creative? Get with the program, Garmin.

Advice to Management

With its entry into the mobile segment, Garmin will be transitioning from an Engineering-driven company to a Marketing-driven company. Technology used to be Garmin's competitive edge when GPS was still shiny and new. But now it's a commodity and it's going to be more about identity and less about technology. The playing field has leveled in regards to technology. You hired creatives to do creative jobs because you couldn't. Respect us and trust us to do our jobs. Let our creative department heads decide what's good for Garmin's identity, not the guys wearing pocket protectors. Put value in our work! According to the many salary surveys available online, Garmin is way behind the curve. And benefits are nice, but most companies have benefits. So that can't be your selling point anymore. "We know your salary is low, but you have great benefits!" Please.

7. Good for the most part

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Pros

The benefits are very good!

Cons

Stock Compensation needs to be imrpoved

Advice to Management

Be more aggressive in your business practices

8. Good Experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ

Pros

Good business education - interesting to get a view of how products are put together and marketing. Benefits are great, pay is not bad.

Cons

Out of touch execs, products built by engineers for engineers.Out of touch execs, products built by engineers for engineers

Advice to Management

Innovate instead of duplicating. Enterprise business is strong , but the company is clueless about consumers. Out of touch execs, products built by engineers for engineers

9. Exciting position in the beginning.

Current Employee - Software Support Specialist in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Support Specialist in Olathe, KS

Pros

The benefits Garmin provides from health insurance to 401k and tuition reimbursement is amazing. The surrounding people in my department are very pleasant.

Cons

In this department there is very little room to move laterally. It seems that most promotions in this department are to a management position only.

Advice to Management

Some steps have been taken to implement some type of rewards/recognition system. Keep offering new ways to create excitement throughout the call center.

Lots of interesting embedded work and senior management that cares about its employees

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

Pros

Garmin's benefits are unmatched. The work is varied and mostly interesting. There are opportunities to work with lots of different technologies. Management cares about the company and its employees. The Kansas City metro area is a good place to raise a family.

Cons

Management seems out of touch with employees. There is little opportunity for professional development and advancement.

Advice to Management

Obtain and use feedback from non-managers to improve decisions. Innovate more.

OK Types

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Olathe, KS

Pros

may be you will have your job security.

Cons

no good appraisal. no bonuses, no salary hikes. no work from home.

Advice to Management

Make more innovations in the product rather than having so many products with more or less same features.

RSS Feed </> Embed