Garmin

Profile Unclaimed

QA Specialist

Former Employee - QA Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, one of my best professional experiences overall, great environment for learning even though the company is extremely conservative. Respected work.life balance. Good people. Just a really good place overall. Very thorough and process driven - but sometimes to an extreme extent.

Cons

Very conservative, lags behind in using newest technology. Slow to provide new learning opportunities an encouragement for employees to stay current with new technology.

Streamline decision making process. Be more adventuresome in terms of new technology.

Avoid local offices, awful scheduling

Former Employee - Software Engineer II
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Imho all good reviews on glassdoor were mostly referring to HQ office in Kansas. Branch offices were quite different depending on your local projects and local management. Mine wasn't good. Often pressured us to meet unreasonable deadlines showing off to HQ. You can't work from home even you live far from office.

Cons

Lack of opportunities unless you are in Kansas. Garmin trying to evolve away from handheld gps device which has been its expertise for decades. Problem is years of inhouse driven development and lack of industry awareness in new approaches and new technoligies. Culture is very conservative and very "inside" the box thinking. New engineers leaving after about 2 to 3 yrs once they realize it takes an arm and leg to put this company on the right track. Scheduling is awful cuz garmin had been in its own domain for so long and lack of expertise in collaberating with other vendors. However it is good for intern and less experience engineers. After all they do have 20+ years of legacy code for you to learn.

Take closer look at all the branch offices. The turnover rate is a very good indicator.

Enjoyable, but not long term

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy work environment, and everyone is extremely nice.

Cons

No growth plans, and could reward their employees better

Good place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good level of work, very regular hours, great people to work with, everyone seems to have a positive view of the company.

Cons

Sometimes feels like the culture is very conservative in spending or rewarding employees. Overall not an issue though.

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. The developers that I work with are some the best I've ever worked with (and I've been in the industry for a long time)

Cons

The pay isn't terrible, but it is a little on the lower side of the pay scale for this area.

Lack of Leadership

Former Employee - Marketing Communications in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

+ 40-hour work week
    + Benefits
    + Work/life balance = Leave every day by 5:00
    + Relaxed Culture

Cons

+ Shoulder Shrug Management "Not my problem"
    + No Clear Career Direction
    + Lack of Accountability
    + No Leaders

Management would rather shuffle problematic employees from team to team and group to group vs. dealing with them. So instead of stopping the problem, it only grows as poor-performing employees move from team to team and get new titles / fewer responsibilities

Fantastic Place to Work

Current Intern - Intern in Olathe, KS
    Current Intern - Intern in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Garmin's work environment is second to none. Casual dress code and associates really love their jobs. The people are very friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

Lack of structure and organization. Garmin seems to not know where they want to go with the company. They are always playing catch up. (Ex. GoPro vs Virb or FitBit vs VivoFit)

There needs to be more time training for the job. Being thrown into the fire can be a good experience but also very frustrating at times.

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Garmin full-time

Pros

Good company, popular company.Asked me lot of question about pointer and data structure

Cons

I dont know about cons

Software Engineer Intern

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Chandler, AZ
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Garmin as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As an intern I worked on software real projects. Some of the work involved debugging or verifying production quality software but the majority of my time was spent on developing an internal tool. I was given the project at the start of my internship and told to run with it. I designed, implemented, debugged, and updated my tool as the internship progressed. It was great to be working on my own project and implementing useful code instead of simply debugging someone else’s code or getting someone coffee.

Cons

No real cons come to mind, but there is a 20 word minimum so… bla bla bla bla bla

Great Company, but poor management.

I have been working at Garmin full-time

Pros

Excellent health benefits. Flexible work hours when needed. Casual dress code and the people are very friendly.

Cons

The biggest con is that there is very little structure for career path development.
    Supervisors are not very useful, rather micro managing their team, and it usually requires a manager to get anything done. Male associates are clearly favored for any manager or lead positions.

Garmin Photos