Garmin Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Software Engineer II

Pros

Good working environment. Good people to work with.

Cons

There is cons for this company.

Team Lead

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, nice people, good facilities

Cons

Workload, career path, overly conservative

Advice to Management

Need to stop being penny wise and pound foolish

3. Garmin is a good company

Current Employee - Embedded Software Test Engineer in Wellsville, KS
    Current Employee - Embedded Software Test Engineer in Wellsville, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very good to work for. Great benefits including a pension plan on top of 401k and employee stock. Lots of activities if you like to get involved in various activities. Very health oriented company. Decent pay.

Cons

Too many projects going at once and all due within too short of a time and sometimes back to back.

Advice to Management

None

5. Good company

Pros

Solid financials and established markets

Cons

too conservative for consumer electronics

6. A good stepping stone if you are looking for more.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits...... Education reimbursement is great. There are many resources to better your career, even if you don't stay with Garmin these are tools that you can use at your next job!!

Cons

Advancement is not based off merit. You need to call a hotline everyday to determine if you are working two hours of overtime. You can be held accountable for company policies. Even if you have been told incorrectly by your superiors. THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY!!! I was not given the attendance policy until six months in. And it was extremely vague leaving room for interpretation. Absolutely no training. (The newbies train the new hires) Forced to work 12 hour days.

Advice to Management

I have come across associates who can barely understand what I am saying. I ask them to do something, and they cannot comprehend. This is mainly in the warehouse. This disturbs me mainly because if you are a picker, or in receiving, or VA, or anything having to do with operations, comprehension is just as important as being able to read and speak English. How can I effectively communicate with someone who can't understand what I am saying? C'mon HR!! Shift deviation is a wonderful tool. But if you are already forced to work 10 hours of overtime per week, you have to add any hours you deviate on top of that as well. So it is better to take the day off. Too much management...too many fingers in the cookie jar!! Human Resources are really for management not the associates. If you have a problem, more than likely they will belittle you and take their side. Here at Garmin there is the framework for success. You have excellent programs that make it seem like you are a company that cares. But the people you have put in place to govern others have no checks or balances. There is no accountability. Many associates started out with a positive attitude about Garmin. Within a year, they are all just getting a paycheck, waiting on another and better offer.

Ok

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits , smart engineers, 401k and pension. Low cost of living , very laid back , occasionally good projects and ideas

Cons

Politics , directors and managers with less to no product knowledge especially on the declining markets , no push for innovation or new markets , laid back management, personal favoritism , appraisals are a joke .

Advice to Management

Improve accountability for directors / managers , make them responsible for products and decisions. Increase transparency .

8. Software Engineer

Pros

Garmin had a great work environment & good people to work with. Enjoyed working at Garmin. Would recommend Garmin to other.

Cons

I have no cons for Garmin.

9. Benefits kept me for 6yrs, but it was miserable.

Former Employee - Reverse Logistics Operator in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Reverse Logistics Operator in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You cannot beat Garmin's benefits. Their health insurance is absolutely amazing, you start earning PTO when you start work, and they offer some really great deals on products.

Cons

I heard from friends this is completely different outside of Operations/Warehouse, but, they treat you so terribly. My department literally had this loud buzzer telling us when we could leave for break and lunch, and when we should be back. Management treats you like you're worthless and they look down on you. The atmosphere was miserable - giving you the mentality to just keep your head down, strive to meet ridiculous numbers, and kiss any thought of a decent raise goodbye. Also, moving up is a rarity in this company, no matter where you are.

Advice to Management

Humble yourself. We all knew you all had the mentality of "they don't have to like me." But it sure does make life better if you have a decent relationship with your subordinates.

10. Steady Paycheck..... That's it

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on with devices, not just manuals Good benefits, medical, dental, vision, etc. Great employee discount on devices and with other companies for other products Pleasant coworkers Not overly metric driven No call time restriction with a customer Fun activities to participate in like corp challenge and marathon and game nights

Cons

Slow computers for a tech company Management will "blacksheep" you if you have any mistakes (metrics, attendance, etc) Lots of supervisors were hired from outside the company instead of promoting from within, no advancement opportunities Not a challenge, just a steady check, gets repetitively boring being a robot that talks Low on the pay scale

Advice to Management

Hire an acessor to determine what is needed and not needed, position wise and employee wise.

Inadequate pay

Pros

The benefits are amazing, great coworkers, pretty easy to use your PTO and flexible schedule. Manage will help best to their ability.

Cons

Pay is not adequate to work performed. Delevopling a process takes too long. Must have a approvals for everything and you never know how long it will take even on time sensitive deadlines.

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they are worth

RSS Feed </> Embed