Garmin

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014
3.7

Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits and they take care of their employees (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is that there is very little structure for career path development (in 11 reviews)

• Little to no guidance from management or HR for career growth (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good first job for a college grad, build your resume and leave

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting products, friendly people, comfortable place to live and work

Cons

Management has a product roadmap but no technology roadmap. The software teams are forced to use outdated tools and practices because the products use a proprietary operating system that is outdated and needs to be deprecated. Pay is not competitive with the market. Lots of top performers have left the company.

Promote leaders that understand modern software practices and technology. Ditch the old ways and start making products that can compete in the post smart phone world. Make retention a top priority.

It has been a good one

Current Employee - Application Analyst in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Application Analyst in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

benefits, people, commute, facility, internships

Cons

Bonuses, salaries, upward mobility, recognition

N/A

Great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, really the best I have seen anywhere
    Great culture, everyone has a lot of fun, particularly if you like ping pong
    Challenging work, very satisfying
    Fun products, cool to see stuff you work on in Best Buy

Cons

Can have heavy hours when a major release is coming up
    Base salary range is a little low, though the benefits tend to make up for it

You can make your own opportunities, if you keep an open mind

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

401k plan is one of the best around--my financial advisor has told me as much, compared to other area companies it just plain rocks.
    Employee Stock Purchase Plan is also excellent. It makes me wish I made enough money to invest the full 10% possible.
    Health insurance is excellent--thanks to the current political situation it is (mostly) not free, but it IS much more affordable compared to the same plans bought on the federal exchange. Especially if you have a family, you'd be crazy not to take advantage of it. That good. If you are in excellent health, there's even one plan they'll pay you to take!
    Current department I work in has an excellent director who genuinely cares if her associates are happy in their work. She's also fantastic when it comes to how well we work with other departments and vice versa. We're fortunate to have her.
    Overall culture of company is informal--in most cases, regardless of title or position, anyone here will greet you by first name and talk to you face-to-face. No "corporate snobbery" here.
    If you're a self-starter who knows what your skill set is and what it makes you capable of doing, you can do very well here.

Cons

Take-home pay isn't as much compared to other area companies. The company reminds you with a benefits letter each year that it's a trade-off, but profitable as the operation is, it's still a head-scratcher.
    The only serious reward for excellent performance is a management position. Not everyone wants to be a manager. Not everyone is cut out to be a manager. I suspect many of the negative reviews here on Glassdoor for Garmin have their roots in a manager who shouldn't have been one.
    If you prefer a plainly-defined, start-here-to-get-here-via-this-and-this-and-this career path, Garmin is just not for you. There's an effort being made to make those happen, but they've really never been part of our culture. To advance, you have to be a self-starter, you have to ask questions, you have to make contacts, and you have to keep your eyes open.

We could stand more openness about Garmin's future market plans. While understandably we don't want to "tip our hat" to the competition, we need something to rally around that's tangible. We need to hear "This is what we want to be, this is how we're going to get there, this is how we are going to win."

It was great before Garmin purchased the company

I worked at Garmin

Pros

Open environment that was fun to work

Cons

meeting schedule was more important than designing good products

Solid if not exciting job

I have been working at Garmin

Pros

Stable company and great benefits

Cons

lack of career path. Management doesn't seem to want to help anyone move forward.

Show employees they are valued, and not just a commodity.

Great place to start your career but not for those seeking to grow old with a company.

Former Employee - ERP Applications Analyst in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - ERP Applications Analyst in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learning experience, people, benefits, exposure to technology

Cons

Salary, compensation, growth opportunities, feeling under valued, lack of empowerment

You have lost a lot of good talent lately.. executives should get feedback from the lowest levels to fix this.
    It would help immensely if all employees were made to feel valued and empowered.
    Some managers have gotten very autocratic, some indifferent and incompetent and that needs to be fixed.
    With the CYA attitude, innovative out of the box thinking is discouraged which is not good for a growing company.

Still a good place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Everyone is very nice and easy to work with. Benefits are great and very generous compared to other companies in the region. Work is challenging.

Cons

Compensation is not as great as other companies in the region. While work is challenging, deadlines are can be unreasonable leading to frustration.

Fantastic experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The work culture at Garmin is great. Everyone is very helpful and fun to work with. Garmin provides a great salary with benefits. Kansas City is a great place to live. In addition, Garmin interns get paid housing very close to the company.

Cons

As a previous intern, the con would have to be housing. Great location, and I love that it's paid, but dealing with dorm rules was a little annoying, and not having a kitchen in your suite was a little annoying as well.

Ok

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good commute, good benefits (401k and health insurance)

Cons

Pay not competitive, sometimes workload can have unrealistic deadlines

Garmin Photos