Garmin Reviews

Reset
4.3
Garmin President and CEO Clifton Pemble
Clifton Pemble

Pros
  • Work life balance for where I am in life right now is amazing (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits and time off policies (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is that there is very little structure for career path development (in 11 reviews)

• At Garmin, you can get a title change but there's very little to no financial reward in it, so what's the point (in 6 reviews)

Wonderful workplace

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great and there is no shortage of challenging work to be had. Managers and senior engineers work side by side with even new hires from day one making it a very comfortable workplace.

Cons

Being in the aviation department can be tiresome after a time because of all the regulations and red tape involved. I find myself fighting vaguely worded FAA documents as much as normal work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the personal relationships you already have with employees. It really makes a difference.

2. Great Company, poor management at this level.

Current Employee - Material Handler in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay Easy to learn job Overtime available but not usually required Strong product discounts Lots of company events

Cons

Little/No growth opportunity or room to move up Supervisors are not very useful and it usually requires a manager to get anything done.

Advice to Management

Ensure your lower managers and supervisors are doing their jobs and playing essential roles in the company. Our supervisor is useless and we would be much more well suited with a competent department lead instead.

3. A good place to learn, but don't expect any recognition.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Highly skilled subset of people within. Good benefits

Cons

Not much available for advancement. A lot of hoops to go through to get to the next level of your job, some unobtainable because of the length of project time and time of year advancements go through. Raises are laughable at best, and have rarely beat inflation.

Advice to Management

Bonuses, better advancement/recognition, these things will greatly improve morale. A lot of the time it feels like you're looking through rose colored glasses at the rest of us.

5. Relaxed and friendly workplace

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The workplace is very relaxed, the workers are very friendly, training is on-going for products, and the health benefits are very nice. Getting time off approved, for PTO, is a breeze, which is so nice compared to other places I have been.

Cons

The big con here is that there is very little structure for career path development. You have to pester and ask and ask, and no one seems to have a definite answer. Although I hear work is being done about that.

Advice to Management

My advice is to update the career paths for people that are not interested in being on the phone, and wanting to make a career in Garmin that is not engineer related.

6. Retro Spect

Former Contractor - Setup Test Technician in Salem, OR
    Former Contractor - Setup Test Technician in Salem, OR

I worked at Garmin as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very Professional and Friendly Co-workers.

Cons

Hard to find the Cons. Their were some confusion to if the Engineers we in charge at times or the Managers.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the connection that you have with the Production floor it does help the bottom line when they feel like you are paying attention to their likes or dislikes.

7. Great work environment, work/life balance with a few annoyances!

I have been working at Garmin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a easy job with little stress. The pay is ok but the benefits are great. Supervisors are friendly and work/life balance is one of the best. Lots of training to keep you up to date on latest issues and products. Family atmosphere that makes you feel right at home on day one. The freedom to "goodwill" some of the repair cost or accessory prices for customers that you feel shouldn't have to pay full price. Garmin one of the best I've ever seen in making sure the customer is happy and taken care of.

Cons

Promotions and/or pay increases are rare. They do give raises based off of performance/attendance but its very small like 50 cents more a hour. Automotive department is extremely under staffed. Auto always has long hold times where other departments rarely have any. (partly because of this next part) Map update software like Express, web softwares like Garmin Communicator Plug-in are poorly written software with lots of bugs that can cause unneeded headache for customers. It will get better over time but Garmin uses its customers as beta testers way to much. Quality Assurance (AKA your recorded calls that get graded) can be unclear at times but overall not bad. Overall, no job perfect but I'm glad I choose to work for Garmin.

Advice to Management

Hire more tech support people in automotive department and offer more opportunities for growth in the Salem, OR area.

8. Comfortable but not challenging

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salem, OR

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Close to work, low expectations

Cons

Compensation, culture, No learning opportunities.

Advice to Management

Think forward. dont just rehash the past.

9. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer good pay for the field. Their benefits are very affordable. Great work/life balance. Opportunities for advancement are available if willing to put forth the effort.

Cons

I can't really think of a lot of cons. If you are willing to put in the work that is expected of you, opportunities are made available to you.

Great work/life balance, not aggressive pay scale.

Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Salem, OR
    Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Salem, OR

I have been working at Garmin as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong family atmosphere, great work / life balance. Almost never any overtime at Salem location. Relaxed environment.

Cons

Non-competitive pay, even at the internship level. Issues committing and following through with OEM deadlines.

Advice to Management

Focus on maintaining objectives and improving inter-departmental communication.

Excellent place to start your Career

I have been working at Garmin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They seem to care about their employees Great Benefits Little restrictions on Job Allows to self-productivity

Cons

some policies are unclear certain issues done have an easy or clear course of action

RSS Feed </> Embed