Gartner

Updated December 10, 2014
4.0

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Some groups allow you to work from home all the time or some of the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging if you dont clearly set this with yourself (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management is by comparison very poor and the leadership lacks strategic vision (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging and diverse sales environment

Former Employee - Business Development Manager SMB in Egham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager SMB in Egham, England (UK)

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- In this role you deal with C-level decision makers a lot of insight into how businesses are run effectively, comparable to taking an MBA course
    - Earning potential: if you are great at your job you will be rewarded greatly; uncapped commission and good reward structure
    - Working in a growth company gives opportunities for growth

Cons

- Management in the SMB (small and medium business) division are 90% of the time former successful sales people of the same division. A good sales person does not always make a good manager and vice versa. In my opinion management often acted more as bottleneck and inhibitor to productivity rather than enabling better results.

- Hire people externally for management roles if you have no suitable people on the floor to fill the gap
    - Act as facilitator rather than babysitting company best-practices

Gartner ESMB - No golden mountains...

Current Employee - Account Executive SMB in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Executive SMB in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work in an international environment with people from all over the world.

You'll meet truly exceptional people and will be surrounded by intelligent individuals, who will broaden your horizon.

Cons

Gartner ESMB is the brooding ground for political games and shows a constant power struggle between (new) managers and their old peers.

Senior management runs the unit by instilling fear of being fired rather than through driving and motivating individuals.

Contrary to what is promised, those who are successful, are given limited career options for further development, i.e. even with the world of Gartner at your feet, only promotions within ESMB will be approved.

Senior account executives who can't fully commit their time due personal reasons (e.g. (long term) illness or pregnancy), are treated as worthless and will see their territory/client portfolio be distributed among their team and taken away from them without consent.

As HR and senior management go back a long way, making a case about all of the above is proven to be tough and not without consequences.

ESMB hasn't changed for the best in the past years and needs to evolve back into the proud, successful unit it once used to be.

Internal hiring of management is not the best way to fill positions. Good sales executives will not make good managers by default.

Stop losing promising talent and driven individuals, because you are not willing to look beyond your own egos.

Not what it's all cracked up to be!

Former Employee - Client Partner in Egham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Client Partner in Egham, England (UK)

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Working with good co-workers in your teams
    - Social group for us that live in/near the city and helps built friends when you're new to the area
    - Plenty of knowledge to self educate yourself
    - Some really good clients to work with, but my territory is a far too big!

Cons

- Poor compensation plan which was labelled as a good thing, but has given nothing but false expectation
    - Force you to consider moving on after a couple of years
    - Some people on the floor get ignored and not given an opportunity with certain things and are overlooked in the place of the managers 'favorite bunch'
    - Client Partners who fudge their numbers seem to be untouchable
    - No end of year bonus which makes earnings unfair after the change to a different compensation plan that you only get every 3 months!
    - Account Executives that don't get the role and how we're paid which means we take the consequences and don't get the commission at times

I have been in the role for approaching a couple of years or so now, but I feel that you look to push us on when we reach this stage. You ask us for feedback and we have 'off the record' meetings with the VP, but nothing ever really comes from it all and our ideas/suggestions get ignored most of the time or we're constantly fed the lines of 'we're working on it'.

From experienced members on the floor, it sounds like the role use to be great to work in, but now I'm unsure. I've learned a lot from clients and research Gartner produce, but my development within Gartner itself is nothing I haven't learnt in my previous roles elsewhere.

Love working at Gartner, they really look after you

Current Employee - Event Planner in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Event Planner in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are team minded people, they are all willing to help one another.
    We receive fantastic benefits, including great pension scheme, private health insurance and many other benefits.

Cons

Gartner does expect you to work longer than you contracted hours.

High Turnover

Current Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

interesting research, and analysts, career opportunity to change department after 2/3 years, not before that

Cons

targets are unreachable as they limit the prospects you're allowed to speak to, no management support, all bad things are deflected to the US, built on hopes and dreams not deliverables.

stop with the 'fake it til you make it culture', instead of interviewing more peope keep the ones you have everyone with experience is leaving

Everybody is leaving - WHY?

Current Employee - SMB Sales in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - SMB Sales in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, can't see anything else.

Cons

Talking for SMB Europe:
    - Sales cycle is too long, which makes life of an Account Executive too frustrating
    - First deal signed on average after 6 months
    - Formal dress code every day of the week
    - No flexibility at all, too process-oriented
    - If you haven't made Winners Circle you will spend Dec 31st @office, maybe you will be able to work from home Dec 24th but that's it, they want you there just to make you feel bad!
    - Managers promoted internally: if somebody make Winners Circle once or twice it doesn't mean they will be good managers
    - Only numbers count - managers have no knowledge at all of the cultural diversities and they just can't adapt
    - Most of the people leave within 1 / 1.5y
    - Gartner is growing but we have to constantly make sure that we spend the minimum while on business trip - and if possible don't even plan business trip - and all bonuses have disappeared!
    - Interview process is a joke - it's a proper psychology test. They don't care about your background, you just need to show that you are ambitious, driven, intelligent etc... In reality most of people there are just arrogant and selfish
    - Salary is well below average within the industry

Why did you let SMB Europe go down? It is just a pity that employees are considered children and that you don't care about us.

Wolf in sheep's clothing

Former Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Personal/Professional Development - Structured training

Cons

Management has a weak backbone and prone to slopey shoulders
    Over promise and hugely under deliver
    Business units fail to collaborate = unprofessional experience for clients
    Internal competition/sharking prevalent
    Unequal opportunity within teams
    Senior management (VP level) failing to provide necessary direction/culture/guidance
    All consuming - work life balance non existent
    High churn

Your hugely talented and able employees would be far more productive (and less likely to leave) if they were empowered to succeed, rather than threatened not to fail.!

Great organization to join from a Research perspective

Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Positive culture and environment
    - Clear objectives and targets
    - Very flat structure - senior management are accessible
    - Organization encourages independent thought and opinion

Cons

- Strategic priorities appear to change within the same year
    - Management focus can shift significantly on a year to year basis
    - Highly (too?) metric driven approach to individual assessment

Don't get completely obsessed with the numbers and look beyond those to what matters in reality

Great people, becoming formulaic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, relatively unpolitical, good values very effectively managed - look at the financials track record. Top management very able and stable.

Cons

Europe becoming an implementation engine as all decision making centred in Stamford and US centric. Could be more creative, more of a thought leader, more innovative.

Be more creative; hire a broader profile, focus beyond traditional IT roles

Amazing first 2 years. Recently become a factory with high churn

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opp to earn. Fantastic delivery. Amazing brand. Brains everywhere.

Cons

Metrics and process. And they very short memories of how great you can be

Relax