Gartner Reviews

Reset
3.3
Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Work life balance is driven by the individual (in 46 reviews)

• Flexibility to work from home or office (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • All consuming - work life balance non existent (in 22 reviews)

• Uninspiring leadership at middle management (in 18 reviews)

1. Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

access to a fast pace career

Cons

balance in between the personal and professional life

2. Client manger

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting, exposure to great contents and working strategically with IT Executives

Cons

Metrics are often not related to the client's needs and the company seems to adopt a 'one size fits all' apporoach, enforcing measures that are not always applicable to all clients in all geographies

3. Great work life balance, excellent earning potential, great start to a career

Current Employee - Account Executive SMB in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Executive SMB in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance - excellent. No expectation to stay beyond contracted hours. Concept about working smart

Salary - excellent earning potential for successful AEs. Fantastic comms for over achievers. However basic is under industry average

Support - 2 month training, constant support, recognition

Cons

Long commute for a lot of the staff, driving to London can be long and time consuming. However they have introduced flexi working hours (you can come at 8 and leave at 4:30 or 9 and leave at 5:30)
    It would be a good move to introduce working from home for a few days a month for those on target/more tenured AEs. This would secure 6-12 more months as a lot of people leave for jobs in London.

Advice to Management

Senior management are approachable, friendly and come across as genuine people who invest in their staff. In recent months they have really tried to understand concerns from the division to increase their retention. I would advise them to carry on with this as it has encouraged people to stay as they feel as though they are treated like adults.

Smoke & Mirrors - Avoid

Former Employee - Sales in Egham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in Egham, England (UK)

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some amazing analysts to learn from (although beware as many let it go to their head & are difficult to work with).

A great place to learn the IT business marketplace.

Good sales training.

Cons

Terrible pay & compensation - well below industry average. This is attempted to be covered up by promoting recognition instead eg. sending out a nice e-mail when someone makes a sale.

Complete good old boys club - fact: if you're not in sucking up to the right people & playing the endless political games, then your career won't go far.

Endless clients refuse to pay their bills which leads to constant commission clawbacks for hardworking employees with zero attempt from the company to pursue the money that the client owes. Everyone loves working for free - right?

Childish environment where you're treated like a 5 year old.

America rules the roost. Often American AEs will sell to your client & then throw you a hand-grenade by transferring the debt and the renewal over to you, mostly to avoid non-renewals hitting their numbers (but keeping the commission of course). This is widely accepted by EMEA management.

Novice & inexperienced people consistently promoted to management who don't have a clue how to lead a team.

Personally speaking, there are a ton of better companies out there where you'll earn far more money & have a far better time.

Advice to Management

Enjoy the good old boys club as nothing will ever change.

Account Executive

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The commission structure is clear and easily achievable, there is plenty of support and training, you are constantly told to think about where you'd like to go next.

Cons

A lot of internal selling, no options to work from home

Advice to Management

Understand that people are different.

Errors, False Promises and Lack of Trust!

Current Employee - Client Partner in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- These are getting minimal now...

- However, some good people across the floor, not as it use to be, but the team re-structure has helped!

- Option to look at other roles in the company!

Cons

- Compensations plan and quotas!!
    - Promised commission pay outs, then "oh sorry we've made a mistake and things have been delayed" and again we're left waiting! Why should be go through draw processes, you messed up so you fix it!
    - No flexibility to work from home anymore.
    - A certain team can stroll in whatever time they want whilst the rest are in on time.
    - Telling you that you've made Winner's Circle, but then taking that privilege off you because of...An error!
    - Gone back to metric metric metric focus again, why?

Advice to Management

- You tell us how well we're doing and how valued we are, but yet you constantly watch us like we're infants! Why?

- Why are all the metrics growing again? You repeat "it's not about the metrics" but yet you implement so many

- How many daily dials we do and minutes on the phone, seriously?? I can't wait until 2016 when you measure how many cups of coffee we drink through the day

- Sort out our compensation plan and if you tell us something, then stick to it!

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Research Director in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Director in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture - Really fun place to work
    Great Work Life Balance - As an analyst, you can manage your time, and balance home and work life. I can take my kids to school 3 or 4 times a week, If I don't have client calls I can go go windsurfing, and catch up by working late in the evenings

Cons

Training could be better. Salaries are low given the seniority of the best analysts. There is not a good share option scheme. Some of the client facing support functions are very weak.

Advice to Management

Don't treat all analysts as equal, recognize each analyst for their strengths, and provide more training and support to develop weaker skills.

9. Good Company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

People are good to work with and help each other all the time
    Ability to work from anywhere
    Company benefits are good

Cons

Some of the analysts need to realise that without clients, they wouldn't have a job

Worst company to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Too much of hype created about the brand has created an illusion with employees and customers

Cons

Politics and Bureaucracy are rampant. False promises to clients exerts pressure on sales folks. Management is arrogant since they falsely believe that once stuck with research company, employees won't switch jobs

Advice to Management

Dont lie to customers about fictitious insights and push sales people beyond limits

The boys club galore

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Egham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Egham, England (UK)

I worked at Gartner

Pros

Intellectually challenging environment surrounded by collaborative driven individuals. Superb training investments

Cons

No career profession roadmap, people get promoted based on who they're friends with as opposed to track record over and over again. Gartner's inside sales organisation is worse than a school playground where you are treated like a child. Management by spreadsheet. Worst environment I've ever experienced.

Advice to Management

Consider your treatment of employees as the industry is a closed knit one as great candidates are ever increasingly discouraged from joining the organisation based on word of mouth. Treat people like adults and they will act like adults.

RSS Feed </> Embed