Gartner

Updated Dec 12, 2013

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall

Gene Hall

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good opportunities... if you befriend the right people

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBest in class, great name to work for, great learning opportunities
Young environment
Good pay, if you hit your numbers or better
You can learn quite a bit if you listen in to analyst calls with clients

ConsPolitical environment even though they claim not to.
Becoming more and more just about the numbers and Wall Street

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees too, not only WS

Too much focus on metrics

Client Partner (Current Employee)

Proswork life balance
good mid-level manager
young and vibrate atmosphere

Conslow salaries
micro management
no real career path
to much focus on metric and less on real value
all decision are taken be senior managers/CEO - even VP doesnt have power to take decision

Advice to Senior Managementless focus om metrics
encourage the talented
start to retain good employees
better comp plan

Research roles are demanding, but also rewarding to be close to technology advances and work with smart people

Managing Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRespected market leader
Excellent CEO/CFO team are propelling the company
Research culture blends collegiality with pursuit of excellence
Opportunites to advise major companies
Working in global research teams provides extra interest
Gartner research experience can be helpful to pursue jobs in the vendor community
Sensible emphasis on expense / travel policies, rigorous performance reviews and hiring the best

ConsHigh expectations and high workrate - maybe this is a pro!
Processes can be clunky for the size to which the company has grown
Stack-ranking review process, though carefully applied, means that some can be disadvantaged even if they work well

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great brand, poor management

Account Manager SMB (Former Employee)
Egham, England (UK)

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than a year

ProsSMB Sales perspective:
- Great brand
- Opportunity to face real business issues
- Access to valuable research
- Valuable Sales training
- Winners Circle and quarterly bonuses

ConsSMB Sales perspective:
- Poor Management that leads to a lot of unfair decisions on sales people
- No real career path
- Promotions are mostly based on the grade of friendship with upper management
- Low basic salary
- High people turnover, it is rare that people stay in the company for more than 2 years

Advice to Senior ManagementBring managers from outside, with a real background in management

Amazing people, unique and successful business model, the sky is the limit!

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAn office environment of motivated, extremely bright, passionate people.
A culture that encourages caring amongst its workforce and prioritises the concerns of it's employees
A business model that sells intellectual properity offering expertise in an ever changing environment (IT) in an annual contractual renewable model - what could be better?
Our market is virtually untapped, the only thing in the way of greater levels of growth is ourselves (not the economy, not competition).
Our impact is immense, products and services which can truly deliver significant value to our clientele. Creates an environment where you can be really proud of yourself and your peers in the impact you are having.
Without integrity we are nothing - our core value as a company
An excellent, and stable, leadership team which provides a very "flat" environment - our Operating Committee members are not "off limits" and are very involved with the coaching and development of our associates
Double digit year on year growth means opportunities for those who strive for them and separate themselves from the pack
Where else would you want to be besides the IT Industry?

ConsWe move fast. Really, really, really fast ... and it can be exhausting some times.
Rapid growth means we are losing some of our core cultural strengths ... we need to do a better job of consciously protecting these.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm consistently impressed with the intellect of our management team and the way we run our business. That said, it's been some time since we've done a corporate employee survey and with all the rapid growth, it would be good to have a greater level of confidence that all the appropriate messaging is getting through.

Great company, good salary but the sales environment could be stressful

Account Executive SMB (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent Salary level, excellent compensations. Good career opportunities. Good training programs.

Consmassive employees turnover in sales SMB. If you inherited a bad territory you are in troubles and there's no way to escalate it. They don't take in count countries with bad economy (same price list for all Euro Countries) and UK price list is actually 30% cheaper and US price list is 50% cheaper. So it's difficult to sell in some territories: such as France, Italy, Spain, Portugal.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should collect more feedback from the senior employees.

Solid employer - but limited prospects.

Director - Industry Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNever ending work load - always challenging.

ConsPoor salaries relative to vendors

Fast paced, collaborative environment

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than a year

ProsRapidly growing business with extremely intelligent, driven associates. There is a real focus on the individual and their goals rather than just the revenue generated for the company. There are chances to progress, you are rewarded and recognised for your success. Those who do not see progression inevitably will not have been successful. There is great opportunity to network and build your brand internally. This is a business for team players! Base salaries and OTE are generally low for the market, but accellerators and benefits even out the shortfall

ConsMatrix management means sometimes the reporting lines are clouded

A culture of ambition, achievement and learning

Account Manager SMB (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is founded on principles of truth, independence, research and intelligence.
The service we deliver to our clients is genuinely fascinating - I have high-level commercial, technical and personal conversations with very high level decision makers. We regularly discuss a broad range of topics. Every day is a genuine education.
The earning potential is relatively high and I have a high degree of control over my own territory.
Gartner's strong brand recognition helps get the meeting and close the deal with the decision maker - and this is becoming more and more the case as the company grows.
The company's growth also means there is abundant opportunity for sales, promotions, new positions being created etc. People are regularly promoted.

ConsThe culture is overly Americanised, with regular "motivating" meetings full of verbal high fives. This comes across as fake and out of touch - particularly to non-American employees.
The high level of autonomy comes with a catch - every sales person is a de facto franchise, forced to make internal business cases to senior management to make things happen. This limits my ability to do things for my clients and prospects. Often this is too inflexible, so senior management forbid actions which might make a sale or improve the customer experience.
Very political culture - management promote their friends and set out to make life difficult for those they don't like. No-one is ever recruited externally into sales management positions.
A high degree of change leads to instability. The very high turnover of sales execs, short tenure of those in management positions and regular promotions cause disruption.
The fact the company is growing means there is a degree of immaturity from the growing pains - over-complicated processes, too much focus on metrics, disparate systems, too many people involved in what should be a simple decision (endless email forwarding / cc'ing)

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your workers as colleagues on the same team, not school kids.
Treat your clients as valued partners who you want to help.
Be honest with your workers - tell the truth even when it's difficult to hear.
Go easy on the metrics - judging people by 8 or 9 criteria just confuses them.

Exceptional people with high energy and passion for their roles. Higly stimulating discussions to drive top results

Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture of ownership. You are empowered to achieve results and have opportunity to connect your personal values, drivers and goals with what the role and Gartner environment can offer to achieve. Motivation and recognition is key to leadership and management style. Ultimate focus on personal development, individual skill/knowledge or group training. Career progression is open to many options, moves to management or different business division. Performance is recognized and rewarded based on meritocratic standards

ConsI really enjoy working here. Perhaps one of the possible downsides is becoming too much used to Gartner way of thinking as there is always a new project, a new idea to work on and time can fly by fast! :) It is good to reflect every now and then to get a perspective from a different angle.

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!

Gartner Videos

Gartner – Why Work for Us?

Your Thinking Matters Make Your Voice Heard At Gartner, what you say matters — not just to us, but to our 60,000 clients worldwide. Together, our associates deliver the technology-related insight necessary for our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gartner reviews and ratings in Egham, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gartner CEO Gene Hall. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Gartner employees.