Gartner

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall

Gene Hall

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Internship at Gartner

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Gartner as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood experience and great training. Everyone is very helpful and provide great input. Compensation is great for full-time hires. The ability to work from home when needed is also a plus.

ConsIt's hard to get a full time position as an intern. They expect and require more from you since you have been working with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier for interns and temps to apply.

A very fast past paced organization with many internal silos with independent goals supporting CIOs and IT leaders.

Research Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery strong brand with over 800 analysts world-wide for depth and knowledge on emerging technologies and trends

ConsLong hours with ugly travel for short turnaround support meetings anywhere in the world with little support and planning

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate silo division strategies for unified enterprise goals with a few critical and meaningful metrics for the right performance reward system and associate alignment.

Hostile environment

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than a year

ProsMarket footprint, interesting engagements and clients

ConsHigh turnover, high and multiple personal quotas which if missed will result in termination regardless of prior contributions or tenure. Highly political, virtually no collaboration or sharing of IP as it is an "every man for himself" atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither position the consulting practice as a long term asset with strong growth potential and make the corresponding investment in the employees and collaboration efforts or sell the franchise. In consulting the only assets are the people, and they will not stay in an exploitive environment.

The quality of Gartner's people sets it above most companies I have worked at.

Associate Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than a year

ProsMy experience at Gartner was memorable to say the least.. The client site I worked at was extremely stressful, though exhilarating enough to motivate me to jump up every morning at 4:15 to catch a 5:15 train arriving in my office by 6:30 and back home after dark.

I found the Gartner folks I worked with themselves very collegial, extremely smart and engaging and cheerfully focused on reinforcing the corporate brand and being more effective than the competition.

ConsPressure to maximize billable hours appears to create unnecessary pressures on top of the daily client related dynamics. This pressure tends to suck up continuing educational time required to keep up in fast moving technological areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementPressure to maximize billable hours creates stifles employee growth in fast moving technology sectors.

Excellent culture, but this was a long time ago

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Gartner part-time

ProsSolid, leading firm in its industry

ConsClient satisfaction and dissatisfaction issues

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sensitive to industry evolution factors

Good for experienced personnel in Technology but not for MBA grads who are out to make a career

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Gartner

Pros1. Great place to work for those who have a strong background in technology and want to build a career in technology strategy
2. New York city engagements have excellent work-life balance and is headed by an excellent managing partner

Cons1. Training and mentoring for graduates are pretty much non-existent.. There is a formal program but it serves no purpose...
2. A new recruit could be in 2 to 4 engagements at the same time.
3. Within go-to-market practice, face time with the team or the client could be non-existent or minimal. For ex: Sr consultants on many occasions work on engagements without ever going to the client site nor meeting in person either the client personnel or members of Gartner team on that particular engagement

Advice to Senior Management1. Establish a formal feedback program for consultant/senior consultants...
2. Placement of consultants within engagements has to be streamlined

What's more important.....a large salesforce or motivated producers of content?

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gartner

ProsFlexible work arrangements, smart people. If you are in sales or in research, you are treated like Gold.

ConsDisregard for work-life balance, poor leadership and people management. So much emphasis is placed on sales, that the quality of the deliverables get short shrift. If you love a career in sales...Gartner is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are your key asset. Without them you have no business.....you might want to realize that and respect your employees for the contribution they make to the business.

Consulting at Gartner

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gartner

ProsAccess to Research provides powerful backing to Consulting engagements.

Coworkers have deep expertise and experience.

Great work/life balance.

ConsAll training must be pre-approved at the beginning of the year and have a very clear immediate business case. In general, training is just more difficult to be reimbursed for than at larger companies I've worked with.

Heavily network based project staffing makes it difficult for Junior folks to gain experience in other industrys or technologies.

Company generally does not pay for travellers to stay out of town over weekends (so someone living in the East Coast and working on a project in CA, must fly back and forth every weekend).

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time.

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!

Gartner Videos

Gartner – Why Work for Us?

Your Thinking Matters Make Your Voice Heard At Gartner, what you say matters — not just to us, but to our 60,000 clients worldwide. Together, our associates deliver the technology-related insight necessary for our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gartner reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gartner CEO Gene Hall. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Gartner employees.