Gartner Reviews

Reset
4.5
Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Work life balance is driven by the individual (in 46 reviews)

• Flexibility to work from home or office (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • All consuming - work life balance non existent (in 22 reviews)

• Uninspiring leadership at middle management (in 18 reviews)

1. Fantastic Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance; Competitive compensation; good personal and professional support

Cons

Large organization with a lot of internal processes to follow in order to get things done

2. Intern at Gartner Inc.

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

I was a former intern in the summer of 2013 for 2 months and it was one of the best internships I had. My direct supervisor exposed me to different projects under various senior consultants between their 2 client offices in NYC and they all truly care for their intern's growth and success. They try to teach you as much as they can and they try to expose you to their clients. Till this day, I still keep in contact with them and they're my mentors. Pay was also pretty good. I got $15/hour and 95% of the time, you're indoors with AC. I took a lot away from this internship more than anything else.

Cons

The team in one of their client offices is a little more independent and I can tell that there isn't much chemistry between them, but they get the job done.

Advice to Management

Create more L&D courses for the employees to create better relationships with each other as a team, especially if you have to work together.

3. Great culture, great company

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive management- they care about your personal success and development. Team environment- sales reps help each other (for the most part). Mentorships available. Motivating compensation plans. Ethics and transparency are stressed. "Do the Right Thing" is a company motto.

Cons

Ideas about sales productivity from the field are often ignored

Advice to Management

Set up a "Make Gartner Better" anonymous inbox on Eagle (company intranet) so the sales team (and others) can submit their constructive ideas to improve sales productivity. Often our ideas get stuck in the middle management layer

Pay is not competitive

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gartner provides extreme value to it's clients. CXOs are quite welcoming when a Gartner AE comes through their door. This is a great experience to build your resume and connections. I would not recommend it long term.

Cons

The compensation model isn't close to that which other IT companies offer. I know that I make more here than most of my peers and yet, my OTE is still far less than it is for other Account Execs in the IT industry.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep people who are of the caliber that can gain the trust of the CXO, you are going to have to pay more. Commission rate should be double what it is. Also, I suggest you reinstate the bonuses you took away this year.

My Experience has been really satisfactory

Current Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training, company, colleagues. Chance to grow inside the area and the people is willing to listen new ideas and help other. Coaching is one of the most important elements in the company.

Cons

No Cons on this company

Advice to Management

Great Leadership

7. Internship at Gartner

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Gartner as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience and great training. Everyone is very helpful and provide great input. Compensation is great for full-time hires. The ability to work from home when needed is also a plus.

Cons

It's hard to get a full time position as an intern. They expect and require more from you since you have been working with them.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for interns and temps to apply.

8. A very fast past paced organization with many internal silos with independent goals supporting CIOs and IT leaders.

Current Employee - Research Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very strong brand with over 800 analysts world-wide for depth and knowledge on emerging technologies and trends

Cons

Long hours with ugly travel for short turnaround support meetings anywhere in the world with little support and planning

Advice to Management

Integrate silo division strategies for unified enterprise goals with a few critical and meaningful metrics for the right performance reward system and associate alignment.

Hostile environment

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Market footprint, interesting engagements and clients

Cons

High turnover, high and multiple personal quotas which if missed will result in termination regardless of prior contributions or tenure. Highly political, virtually no collaboration or sharing of IP as it is an "every man for himself" atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Either position the consulting practice as a long term asset with strong growth potential and make the corresponding investment in the employees and collaboration efforts or sell the franchise. In consulting the only assets are the people, and they will not stay in an exploitive environment.

The quality of Gartner's people sets it above most companies I have worked at.

Former Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I worked at Gartner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience at Gartner was memorable to say the least.. The client site I worked at was extremely stressful, though exhilarating enough to motivate me to jump up every morning at 4:15 to catch a 5:15 train arriving in my office by 6:30 and back home after dark. I found the Gartner folks I worked with themselves very collegial, extremely smart and engaging and cheerfully focused on reinforcing the corporate brand and being more effective than the competition.

Cons

Pressure to maximize billable hours appears to create unnecessary pressures on top of the daily client related dynamics. This pressure tends to suck up continuing educational time required to keep up in fast moving technological areas.

Advice to Management

Pressure to maximize billable hours creates stifles employee growth in fast moving technology sectors.

11. Excellent culture, but this was a long time ago

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Gartner part-time

Pros

Solid, leading firm in its industry

Cons

Client satisfaction and dissatisfaction issues

Advice to Management

Be sensitive to industry evolution factors

RSS Feed </> Embed