Gartner

Updated March 5, 2015
4.0

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Some groups allow you to work from home all the time or some of the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging if you dont clearly set this with yourself (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management is by comparison very poor and the leadership lacks strategic vision (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very young team with lots of growth.

Cons

Competition is fierce. Better be the best where you're from.

Careful not to grow too fast or the things that make it a great company will get watered down.

Great Company Culture, Flexible

Former Contractor - Marketing in Stamford, CT
    Former Contractor - Marketing in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Depending on the department, the working environment is very flexible and allows you to work from home. Employees are encouraged to share ideas.

Cons

There is a lot of focus on the efficiency. Time spent/resources used are often viewed when gauging a project's success.

Amazing Research and a Well-Respected Organization

Former Employee - Field Sales
    Former Employee - Field Sales

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to engage with Analysts one-on-one was fantastic. World class training for Sales Professionals. A truly unique product to sell...the best product I ever sold. Never worked with so many CIOs until I worked for Gartner.

Cons

Publicly traded so good luck with taking any personal time. If you don't make Winners Circle, it will be very difficult to advance. If you aren't part of the "in-crowd" with the Sales Leadership team, even if you do make Winner's Circle, it still might be very difficult to get to the next level.

You have built an amazing company and it was an absolute pleasure working there...I would come back in a heartbeat.

A great place to work overall

Current Employee - Research Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A tremendous amount of autonomy and you get to build your own career. The entire company is focused on the client, simplifying setting priorities. Also get to work with some of the brightest people in IT.

Cons

There are constant demands on your time from various parts of the organization. If you can't manage your time effectively, you will not succeed here.

Our internal tools are modernizing, although not fast enough.

Management is doing a great job scaling sales and research, but please focus on scaling the support staff as well.

Overall amazing organization

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

Fantastic organization with a strong culture of like minded individuals. The company is fast growing which creates opportunities for growth, but also the opportunity to be constantly challenged. This is an organization that is focused heavily on collaboration especially across BU's. If you love a fast paced, dynamic environment that is constantly evolving, this is the place for you. There are great competitive benefits/salaries; Gartner also recognizes top performers and affords those individuals with promotional opportunities. There is also great training - some is more standard/structured while others are more 1on1 depending on the role you are in. Regardless there is solid support and belief in personal/professional development.

Cons

As discussed, there can be a lot of change, so you have to adapt quickly. There are a lot of changes within business units in their structures so for some individuals, it might be tough. If you do not like change, this is probably not the place for you. You may not have the same manager for very long since people do get promoted quickly or structures just change for the benefit of the growing business unit.

Metric driven organizaiton

Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, smart people, clear goals.

Cons

Limited career planning development opportunities.

Stay the path, don't get stuck in the SMB weeds...

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gartner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture can make or break a company and the culture at Gartner is one they should be proud of. People like what they do and they are proud of who they work for (even if most the people you know outside IT have never heard of Gartner). Work life balance is heavily promoted, sales targets are realistic and achievable, and senior management is not disconnected like in many large corporations.

Cons

In a remote sales territory it can get a bit lonely, but if you prefer to work from home and see colleagues very irregularly, this could be seen as a pro.

Continue doing what you are doing and we will be a household name in the next 10 years.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - SMB Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - SMB Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Gartner takes the time to train you on how to be successful. You will go through an 8 week academy that teaches you everything you need to know about selling for Gartner. The benefits are very competitive to other companies in the industry. Gartner also allows its employees to grow through its many different career paths and recognition of success.

Cons

Hard work and dedication is required. You get out what you put in. As in any sales role, you have to be able to handle rejection.

Working at Gartner was an enjoyable experience. It was a fast paced, sales driven company with incredibly hard working a

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are great people to work with and learn from. The Gartner brands opens up every executive suite. The product was superior to any competitior.

Cons

The onboarding and sales training process was ineffective. Account transition to a new representative was never smooth. Territories were not georgraphic or vertically aligned and therefore there were no industry experts represenatives.

Vertically aligned sales territories would bring greater efficeinces and expertise to the sales teams. THerefore, the slaes executives would deliver more value in their business relationships.

The Evolution of Gartner: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Gartner has "grown up" over the years and developed into a well respected company and leader in the IT industry. Gartner has continued to grow in size under the management of Gene Hall, since 2004.
    Despite the tough economy, Gartner continues to grow and exceed their numbers YoY. The company is stable and associates feel secure in their roles.

Gartner has also been extremely flexible with flex-time, time off and working home remotely. Most analysts work remotely from their homes, but many other employees in various positions and of all levels, can work from home remotely. However...it all depends on your manager, the department head and the business unit you work in. Be sure to choose properly! It makes a world of difference in your happiness and trade-offs.

At Gartner you are among the most intelligent and brightest people I have ever met! All with such diverse backgrounds, specialties and education. Over the years I met many associates from all over the world and frequently saw them in the Stamford headquarters or at a conference.

Cons

As Gartner grew into a more formally managed company, many of the extra-curricular and fun activities ended. Gartner cut back on many expenses on travel, office supplies and eliminated company events, picnics and parties. The management style has turned into monitoring employees for everything, tracking them with metrics and requiring to meet quotas.

There is always favoritism among some managers, providing preferential treatment and promotions to those that are not always qualified. It really impacts employee morale since everyone is not treated fairly. Some employees are "well liked" and in the "clique", similar to an EZ pass, to fast track their career.

Human Resources was once a place that could help employees, but those days are gone. Present day Human Resources can be undermining and not considered "safe" among employees. You must remember, they will always side with your manager...even if you manager is the problem! There may be some "good guys" still out there, but that was not my final experience with them. If you asked me in 2010, where do I see myself in 10 years? My answer would be "at Gartner of course!" I can no longer say the same, so I will have to keep the memories from a younger Gartner.

Management needs to have a consistency in the way they manage associates. Provide fair, ethical and equal treatment to every employee. During my tenure, I've had experienced, ethical and positive managers. It may be a coincidence, but my favorite managers came from IBM at some point. They all had similar styles and everyone gravitated to them and had great reputations.

Suggestion to management: Develop new manager training material, for example, use IBM as a model.

On the flip side, there have been awful, unexperienced, degrading, dishonest and undermining managers with little social skills, that have unfortunately crossed my path. This falls into the category of the "favorites", when someone has little or no management skills but yet they get promoted into a position of authority. As the saying goes (at least at Gartner) "the manager is always right", so basically you don't have a leg to stand on! The good thing is, if you can survive the situation until the next re-org, things can improve for you.

Suggestion to management: Stop promoting people into management roles when they do not have the skills. I have felt like a guinea pig many times while the "new managers" practice on me, to gain experience.

There is no comparison when it comes to who you report to. I have reported into GVPs and MVPs and also into younger and/or inexperienced Managers or Directors. Senior level managers will encourage training, allow flexibility, encourage you to spread your wings and grow. Low level managers are afraid to approve expense reports, want you visible in the office and put limitations on your desire to grow....maybe they feel threatened, I don't know.

Suggestion to management: Level the playing field and provide the low level managers some real guidelines to follow. It’s the worst feeling to get thrown to a low level manager after having a senior level manager for so long. It’s similar to having your own house, then suddenly you find yourself in a detention center and all your privileges revoked.