Gartner Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
3.9

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Some groups allow you to work from home all the time or some of the time (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging if you dont clearly set this with yourself (in 20 reviews)

• Middle management is by comparison very poor and the leadership lacks strategic vision (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience with opportunity for growth.

Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great Management
    -Great Training
    -Opportunity to Manage Own Book of Business

Cons

-The job is what you put into it, and the outcomes are directly related to the work you put in. That can be a challenge for some people, and that is why I would consider it a con. You're responsible for the success and failures of your book of business.

Amazing Company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential, Incredible Winners Circle

Cons

Leadership sometimes promotes nepotistically instead of merit based

Great company

I have been working at Gartner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance and competitive pay

Cons

There really isn't much. If you don't manage your time and just do your job things work out.

Management is extremely supportive. Although having a good manager helps.

ae

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

engaging high level executives daily

Cons

unpredictability of your clients business can lead to a loss of clients

Good company but employee experiences vary by team

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner (more than 8 years)

Pros

More vacation time than any other company I have heard of. 20 days to start plus holidays and this goes up to 30 days after four years. Some groups allow you to work from home all the time or some of the time.

Cons

Salaries can be below average except in some teams, like Sales. If you are lucky to be on a good team with a good boss you can rise quickly. But if you are on one of the teams with bad managers or politics though you can be held back. Some people in that situation leave the company and then come back later if they want to move up.

Top management is great. Look for the middle managers who let politics slow down progress and their direct reports' careers.

Great company for the long haul.

I worked at Gartner

Pros

The Winners Circles are attainable and they are excellent at promoting from within.

Cons

Work life balance is a total sham. It is definitely a culture that encourages being on the computer at 10pm.

Why Gartner?

I worked at Gartner

Pros

i see only one pros - The PTO package is very good if you are in the company for long time. No other employer can beat this company. And some time there is flexibility to WFH. That too depends on the manager from my experience in gartner. This is one of the key reason across this organization to stick with this company.

Cons

- The end of year appraisal is just a gimmick. This is very sad. People try to work hard considering the goals set in the beginning of the year. But there is all a fake set up across the company.
    - Some of the Managers are really mean. People are just treated as slaves.
    - They want just the work get done. They literally don't care about the employees.
    - Lots of politics. Feel like it is family oriented business. This makes no room for an talented individual to grow.
    - No work ethics or moral values.

Pls hire managers that manage other people only if they have experience in that past with the similar role. This would cancel most of the problems that they create to their sub-ordinates. And I bet lot of people would benefit out of this.

Their upfront investment in their sales people is like nothing I've ever been a part of-

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have 20-years in I/T...16-years with a large "blue" organization who for good reason, prided themselves on their sales training. After recently returning from Gartner's 5-week long Field Academy and spending weeks away from my family...I can say with confidence that an entirely new standard has been set with respect to sales training. Beyond products, the training leveraged best practices in value selling and the real-life leveraging of nearly all of our internal systems and resources. Every person walked into that training endeavor with relatively zero understanding of the enormity of Gartner's offerings, aside from a Magic Quadrant or Hype Cycle. Coming out, we not only had a clear understanding of our value, we had the ability to immediately own a territory, run our business, leverage our people and systems, and provide immediate value for our future clients. If it sounds like I drank the Kool-Aid, perhaps I did...but as many years a professional seller, I cannot envision a better company to have been selected to represent for the second half of my career. Class act - across the board.

Cons

Their training requires two weeks in Ft. Myers Florida, one week remote learning and ride-a-longs from your home office, then two weeks back in Ft. Myers. We were not permitted to go home on the weekends during those two 2-week spans. This made it difficult on many of us with families...especially the women with young children. The rationale here was not explained...therefore caused a certain amount of angst. We came to the assumption that this was intended to provide the opportunity to gather outside of the classroom and create bonds amongst ourselves - perhaps allowing us to create friendships and lean on each other when hitting the field. While this training regiment is mandatory, and clearly spelled out during the interview process, a simple professional explanation as to the rationale for not allowing us to return home on the weekends would have been appreciated. (Even if it was simply a cost-related travel decision) If in fact this was to create a bond, it probably worked, as some of the best memories took place over the weekends...and tears and man-hugs were-a-flowing as we prepared to depart after our graduation. That said, we were all experienced and successful sales professionals - explaining the purpose of the rules would have gone further than simply enforcing them.

The training regiment that you have put together is amazing. Continue to hire the best and brightest and and to make this investment up front. We collectively felt as if the 5-week investment shaved 6-months off of our ramp up time in the field. Work on the content of week 4...as we felt there were areas that were drawn out longer than necessary for the message delivered. During the other 4-weeks, we actually struggled to identify a single half-hour span that wasn't time well spent...impressive. While understanding your not wanting us to lose focus of training, we felt as if it would have been appropriate to deliver us our numbers and accounts in week 4, so that our planning activities, compensation models and pathway to to our objectives could leverage real data...and offer us an additional kick-start advantage.

Pay is not competitive

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gartner provides extreme value to it's clients. CXOs are quite welcoming when a Gartner AE comes through their door. This is a great experience to build your resume and connections. I would not recommend it long term.

Cons

The compensation model isn't close to that which other IT companies offer. I know that I make more here than most of my peers and yet, my OTE is still far less than it is for other Account Execs in the IT industry.

If you want to keep people who are of the caliber that can gain the trust of the CXO, you are going to have to pay more. Commission rate should be double what it is. Also, I suggest you reinstate the bonuses you took away this year.

Best career move I could have made. Working with sharp, driven folks in a motivating environment with excellent training

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits for sales are amazing- 4 weeks PTO plus Holidays. Compensation is competitive and with uncapped income you make as much as you want- no limits. Work life balance is driven by the individual. Gartner does try to place people in the right position to fit their skill set. If you end up in a position that you are in - your manager should help you look at other Gartner opportunities.

Cons

The sales position is a performance rewarded position. Standards and expectations are high so as with any sales position, if you are not performing then you will be given other options.

When promoting internally sometimes the pay will be adjusted as a limited increase from your current position rather than fair compensation for the position.

When you have folks that have earned a promotion they should be paid fairly for the position (the same as an external hire). High quality talent has left Gartner to take other opportunities with other firms that pay more because their pay is limited from their current pay scale. For example- inside sales folks moving to the field will have substantially less pay for a field position or to take a position as a Dir in another division. This practice damages out brand internally. It would pay in dividends for the Gartner operating committee to eliminate this practice and invest more in proven performers rather than risk bringing on outside new hires.