Gartner Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
4.0

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Gartner employs a lot of smart people which make it an exceptional environment to learn and grow (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Talks a good game for work-life balance, but many Account Executive jobs require round the clock work (in 16 reviews)

• Most promotions are internal , which means that middle management is not always best in class (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Best career move I could have made. Working with sharp, driven folks in a motivating environment with excellent training

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits for sales are amazing- 4 weeks PTO plus Holidays. Compensation is competitive and with uncapped income you make as much as you want- no limits. Work life balance is driven by the individual. Gartner does try to place people in the right position to fit their skill set. If you end up in a position that you are in - your manager should help you look at other Gartner opportunities.

Cons

The sales position is a performance rewarded position. Standards and expectations are high so as with any sales position, if you are not performing then you will be given other options.

When promoting internally sometimes the pay will be adjusted as a limited increase from your current position rather than fair compensation for the position.

When you have folks that have earned a promotion they should be paid fairly for the position (the same as an external hire). High quality talent has left Gartner to take other opportunities with other firms that pay more because their pay is limited from their current pay scale. For example- inside sales folks moving to the field will have substantially less pay for a field position or to take a position as a Dir in another division. This practice damages out brand internally. It would pay in dividends for the Gartner operating committee to eliminate this practice and invest more in proven performers rather than risk bringing on outside new hires.

Their upfront investment in their sales people is like nothing I've ever been a part of-

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have 20-years in I/T...16-years with a large "blue" organization who for good reason, prided themselves on their sales training. After recently returning from Gartner's 5-week long Field Academy and spending weeks away from my family...I can say with confidence that an entirely new standard has been set with respect to sales training. Beyond products, the training leveraged best practices in value selling and the real-life leveraging of nearly all of our internal systems and resources. Every person walked into that training endeavor with relatively zero understanding of the enormity of Gartner's offerings, aside from a Magic Quadrant or Hype Cycle. Coming out, we not only had a clear understanding of our value, we had the ability to immediately own a territory, run our business, leverage our people and systems, and provide immediate value for our future clients. If it sounds like I drank the Kool-Aid, perhaps I did...but as many years a professional seller, I cannot envision a better company to have been selected to represent for the second half of my career. Class act - across the board.

Cons

Their training requires two weeks in Ft. Myers Florida, one week remote learning and ride-a-longs from your home office, then two weeks back in Ft. Myers. We were not permitted to go home on the weekends during those two 2-week spans. This made it difficult on many of us with families...especially the women with young children. The rationale here was not explained...therefore caused a certain amount of angst. We came to the assumption that this was intended to provide the opportunity to gather outside of the classroom and create bonds amongst ourselves - perhaps allowing us to create friendships and lean on each other when hitting the field. While this training regiment is mandatory, and clearly spelled out during the interview process, a simple professional explanation as to the rationale for not allowing us to return home on the weekends would have been appreciated. (Even if it was simply a cost-related travel decision) If in fact this was to create a bond, it probably worked, as some of the best memories took place over the weekends...and tears and man-hugs were-a-flowing as we prepared to depart after our graduation. That said, we were all experienced and successful sales professionals - explaining the purpose of the rules would have gone further than simply enforcing them.

The training regiment that you have put together is amazing. Continue to hire the best and brightest and and to make this investment up front. We collectively felt as if the 5-week investment shaved 6-months off of our ramp up time in the field. Work on the content of week 4...as we felt there were areas that were drawn out longer than necessary for the message delivered. During the other 4-weeks, we actually struggled to identify a single half-hour span that wasn't time well spent...impressive. While understanding your not wanting us to lose focus of training, we felt as if it would have been appropriate to deliver us our numbers and accounts in week 4, so that our planning activities, compensation models and pathway to to our objectives could leverage real data...and offer us an additional kick-start advantage.

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've never been at a job with so many long-timers. People who make it through the 1-2 year adjustment period at Gartner often stay for ten years or more. There are lots of good reasons for this: great work-life balance, good benefits, a positive, friendly, highly collaborative atmosphere and rewarding work. There aren't many jerks.

Cons

There are those who seem to advance every year but for the rest of us, it's prudent to plan on spending a long time in the same role without dramatic improvements in your comp.

Court more dissent. At times it feels that people win points for conformity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AE

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great firm, lots of smart analysts, never dull.

Cons

Not man but better comp is welcomed.

Keep doing what you are doing.

A very good expwrience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Gartner

Pros

The ability to work with c level executives helping them executed a forward thinking business strategy with the enabling of it technologies

Cons

The internet has made the flow if once propriety information much easier and the need to move from subscription service to cionsulting

No advice

It's been a long and winding road, but I've found my place here and love doing my job

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture is excellent and there's many great benefits besides the healthcare. Lots of opportunities for growth and career development.

Cons

Training isn't quite there yet - not up to world-class standards. Salary for support depts could be better (more competitive), and morale has room for improvement.

Need more upward feedback - better management of the managers and more accountability for poor management

Best Job Ever

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Where else can you be a part of setting strategy for your clients? Direct access to CIO's and executive team, with the ability to really make a difference and bring value to every meeting because of the excellent analyst community (i.e. 'product') that Gartner offers. I work from home, manage my own schedule and my boss is not at all a micro-manager. He expects a strong work ethic and excellent results, and he gets it.

Cons

At a corporate level, I have some concerns with how Gartner manages clients 'geographically' as it creates situations in which you are competing against your peers in other regions; also with executives maintaining more than one office it is often not clear where 'home base' is, which means everything in terms of how the growth is recognized and how that client is managed.

Even though I am extremely satisfied in my job and with Gartner, I am still looking for 'what's next.' Can I really expect to grow THIS territory 20% yoy? What roles could I move into without having to move my family to another state (I'm remote)? You're doing a great job and literally the only thing I can come up with is "Consider what your long-term strategy is for retention of the sales force, which as you know typically carries notoriously high turnover rates."

Great environment

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Surrounded by curious individuals willing to learn, help each other and find new ways to help our clients make the most of their investments. It's definitely an environment that is focused on making their sales teams better and doing things the right way.

Cons

Nothing too dissimilar with other large entities. It's what you make of it and how you work with people, do the right thing and generally things turn out as they should.

Continue to focus on new markets and investing in the resources to support clients and the sales teams.

Actual work is okay, but Management has their favorites so they do not always base decisions on facts

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of paid vacation leave

Cons

Pay is very low
    if you are not your bosses favorite you do not get a lot of training opportunities

Be Fair and increase pay

Client partner or is it sales support

Former Employee - Client Partner  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great group of professionals in this organization. Great training, however the breadth and depth of the actual job was not realized in the beginning.

Cons

Too much focus on the gartner way and not enough focus on individuality. Role perceptions between the CP and AE worlds need to be adjusted. Respect needs to be enforced. We are all qualified professionals. Too much focus on metrics cloaked with the word value. They ask us to provide value to clients but we better make sure it's shown by the metrics set in place. There has to be a middle ground. Get more anonymous feedback from your people and listen to them. Everything isn't working perfectly.

Be realistic with new hires when explaining what the job entails. Let them speak with someone who will be blunt about the job demands. Don't fluff it up the whole time. Gartner is the best ever! (says every employee in typical gartner cheer) I find this hard to believe that there are no cons to working there. I found the cons after I took a job that was nothing like the job I interviewed for but still had the same title. I felt played.

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!