Gartner
www.gartner.com Stamford, CT 5000+ Employees

Gartner Reviews

Updated Nov 1, 2013

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance for associates who have remote managers"
    in 36 reviews
  • "But, the proportion of smart people at this firm is far more than any other firm I have been at"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "Analysts and Sales (especially in high demand areas) experience no work life-balance situation"
    in 15 reviews
  • "sometimes communication from middle management is lacking"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Career Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat brand, globally recognized company. Cultural experience really depends on the office...I'm sure it's great in some locations and not so great in others. If you are not in Stamford, however, you're out of the loop.

ConsHigh pressure/high quota and results driven sales organization which does not allow for use of personal style. Extremely regimented with sales territories becoming very small due to high hire rate on a global scale. Cultural experience really depends on the office...I'm sure it's great in some locations and not so great in others. If you are not in Stamford, however, you're out of the loop.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo senior sales management I would say rely less on internal personal friendships/relationships to determine whom you place in Area Manager & RVP roles and more on tenure & success at company. Internal, personal/friendships are not always the best choice based on experience with managing seasoned sales reps.

Developer

I have been working at Gartner full-time

ProsOpportunity to move to other areas of business. Except to some groups of IT every other organization in the company have flexible work environment.

ConsNot much growth in IT business unit.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Outstanding organization

Research Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gartner full-time

ProsAlways at the forefront of technology.
Get to meet a lot of great people throughout the industry.
Great benefits and compensation.
Surrounded by some of the most experienced IT professionals in the world.
Outstanding opportunities to get and provide feedback throughout the industry.
Well respected company.

ConsIts a large company and changes are not made quickly.
There is a lot of politics involved throughout the company.
Very little advancement opportunities as many employees have been at the company for over a decade.

Decent Company

Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- Lots of smart people
- Flexible
- Interesting work

ConsManagers are a mixed bag. Some good, some micro-managers, and some completely hands off and unable to make decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your employees careers and how to bring them to the next level.

Gartner Account Management Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gartner as an intern for less than a year

Prosvery positive and inclusive culture. The internship really provides insight into what an account manager does. Interns have a real opportunity to help the business. Individuals are always willing to help.

ConsThe internship involved a lot of cold calling. This IS part of the job however, and it helped build up good business acumen. Also its in Ft. Myers.

It's Catch 22 at this place.

Sales Eeecutive (Former Employee)

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPut in some time here and your rep will improve -- fortunately most outsiders don't see what's going on behind closed doors. If you have viable options, take them -- or look at Gartner as a way-station along the way. People do sometimes come back -- and then, often leave again because of the idiocy.

ConsYou're told to manage your time better if the shifting priorities make it necessary to, for example, reschedule a deliverable. Then you're faulted for missing the original deadline. Upper management is laughing all the way to the bank, and mid-management just follows the company line and can't rationalize what is irrational here. The morale is poor; people compete rather than cooperate. But the pay and benefits are good.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for a refresh in how management treats production, sales, research, consulting, events....

Outstanding company that is poised for continued success

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Detroit, MI

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than a year

ProsWorld class services and advice for their clients
Clients love Gartner - never had a bad client conversation
You truly become a partner to your clients and the value is easy to measure
Awesome global events
Outstanding leadership at every turn
Great culture - positive, supportive, fun and if you're not already an IT expert, you'll become one!
Competitive compensation and benefits
Freedom and flexibility - at least in the field
New hire training is the best I've experienced

ConsInformation overload at times, especially for new hires or those not well seasoned in IT
As a sales employee, the quarter to quarter focus is a challenge but that comes with the territory working for a public company.
Internal processes can be cumbersome, but it becomes easier with time
Advancement opportunities seemed limited due to long tenure in many areas of the company
As a sales employee, the cycle can be long and very consultative. This was fine and expected, but if you enjoy a more transactional sales cycle, you won't be happy at Gartner.

Advice to Senior ManagementA truly outstanding company. The Gartner name is a brand that commands respect and attention by clients and prospects. Don't stray from what got you here.

Amazing learning experience.

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat atmosphere. Gartner fosters development of it's employees very well.

ConsVery competitive environment at the analyst level. Knowledge and coverage-area hording are rampant. Collaboration can be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward collaboration - too many individuals are rewarded solely for their individual contributions.

Good experience

Client Partner (Current Employee)
Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat Brand, strategy and vision.

ConsNot all business units share the strategy and vision.

Associate Client Partner

Associate Client Partner (Current Employee)
Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time

ProsExcellent work environment, competitive salary, great incentives and working with like minded, smart individuals.

ConsBecause of the fast pace environment, there's constant change but it's a positive thing if you enjoy keeping up with IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a bit more consistent with team processes.

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!

Gartner Videos

Gartner – Why Work for Us?

Your Thinking Matters Make Your Voice Heard At Gartner, what you say matters — not just to us, but to our 60,000 clients worldwide. Together, our associates deliver the technology-related insight necessary for our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gartner reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gartner CEO Gene Hall. All 75 reviews posted anonymously by Gartner employees.