Gartner

www.gartner.com
Employer Engaged

Gartner Reviews

Updated February 25, 2015
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
Updated February 25, 2015
4.1

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Some groups allow you to work from home all the time or some of the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging if you dont clearly set this with yourself (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management is by comparison very poor and the leadership lacks strategic vision (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company Culture, Flexible

Former Contractor - Marketing in Stamford, CT
    Former Contractor - Marketing in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Depending on the department, the working environment is very flexible and allows you to work from home. Employees are encouraged to share ideas.

Cons

There is a lot of focus on the efficiency. Time spent/resources used are often viewed when gauging a project's success.

Great company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very young team with lots of growth.

Cons

Competition is fierce. Better be the best where you're from.

Careful not to grow too fast or the things that make it a great company will get watered down.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - SMB Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - SMB Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Gartner takes the time to train you on how to be successful. You will go through an 8 week academy that teaches you everything you need to know about selling for Gartner. The benefits are very competitive to other companies in the industry. Gartner also allows its employees to grow through its many different career paths and recognition of success.

Cons

Hard work and dedication is required. You get out what you put in. As in any sales role, you have to be able to handle rejection.

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gartner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture can make or break a company and the culture at Gartner is one they should be proud of. People like what they do and they are proud of who they work for (even if most the people you know outside IT have never heard of Gartner). Work life balance is heavily promoted, sales targets are realistic and achievable, and senior management is not disconnected like in many large corporations.

Cons

In a remote sales territory it can get a bit lonely, but if you prefer to work from home and see colleagues very irregularly, this could be seen as a pro.

Continue doing what you are doing and we will be a household name in the next 10 years.

The Evolution of Gartner: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Gartner has "grown up" over the years and developed into a well respected company and leader in the IT industry. Gartner has continued to grow in size under the management of Gene Hall, since 2004.
    Despite the tough economy, Gartner continues to grow and exceed their numbers YoY. The company is stable and associates feel secure in their roles.

Gartner has also been extremely flexible with flex-time, time off and working home remotely. Most analysts work remotely from their homes, but many other employees in various positions and of all levels, can work from home remotely. However...it all depends on your manager, the department head and the business unit you work in. Be sure to choose properly! It makes a world of difference in your happiness and trade-offs.

At Gartner you are among the most intelligent and brightest people I have ever met! All with such diverse backgrounds, specialties and education. Over the years I met many associates from all over the world and frequently saw them in the Stamford headquarters or at a conference.

Cons

As Gartner grew into a more formally managed company, many of the extra-curricular and fun activities ended. Gartner cut back on many expenses on travel, office supplies and eliminated company events, picnics and parties. The management style has turned into monitoring employees for everything, tracking them with metrics and requiring to meet quotas.

There is always favoritism among some managers, providing preferential treatment and promotions to those that are not always qualified. It really impacts employee morale since everyone is not treated fairly. Some employees are "well liked" and in the "clique", similar to an EZ pass, to fast track their career.

Human Resources was once a place that could help employees, but those days are gone. Present day Human Resources can be undermining and not considered "safe" among employees. You must remember, they will always side with your manager...even if you manager is the problem! There may be some "good guys" still out there, but that was not my final experience with them. If you asked me in 2010, where do I see myself in 10 years? My answer would be "at Gartner of course!" I can no longer say the same, so I will have to keep the memories from a younger Gartner.

Management needs to have a consistency in the way they manage associates. Provide fair, ethical and equal treatment to every employee. During my tenure, I've had experienced, ethical and positive managers. It may be a coincidence, but my favorite managers came from IBM at some point. They all had similar styles and everyone gravitated to them and had great reputations.

Suggestion to management: Develop new manager training material, for example, use IBM as a model.

On the flip side, there have been awful, unexperienced, degrading, dishonest and undermining managers with little social skills, that have unfortunately crossed my path. This falls into the category of the "favorites", when someone has little or no management skills but yet they get promoted into a position of authority. As the saying goes (at least at Gartner) "the manager is always right", so basically you don't have a leg to stand on! The good thing is, if you can survive the situation until the next re-org, things can improve for you.

Suggestion to management: Stop promoting people into management roles when they do not have the skills. I have felt like a guinea pig many times while the "new managers" practice on me, to gain experience.

There is no comparison when it comes to who you report to. I have reported into GVPs and MVPs and also into younger and/or inexperienced Managers or Directors. Senior level managers will encourage training, allow flexibility, encourage you to spread your wings and grow. Low level managers are afraid to approve expense reports, want you visible in the office and put limitations on your desire to grow....maybe they feel threatened, I don't know.

Suggestion to management: Level the playing field and provide the low level managers some real guidelines to follow. It’s the worst feeling to get thrown to a low level manager after having a senior level manager for so long. It’s similar to having your own house, then suddenly you find yourself in a detention center and all your privileges revoked.

Gartner is the most insightful, motivating and family-friendly co's out there even for the most stressed job functions.

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

I am challenged with new adventures every day, every minute, every nanosecond.
    They have taught me IT IS OK to have a work/life balance from which is unheard-of in where I derive.
    Amazing borderless opportunities abound. You just have to show DIRECTED fire, desire, strategy, plan, and then execute, prove your worth, they recognize it!
    Be mindful. Have eyes, ears close enough you can take a pulse of the next wave. Prove yourself as the next one to steer the next wave in growth!

Cons

Umm, can't think of any right now.

Thank you for being forthright and sharing the vision!

Client Partner

Current Employee - Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity with an amazing company

Cons

Sometimes the outcome of the client interaction is not as expected.

Best company ever- a great company to grow with!

Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gartner truly values its employees and our company culture is beyond amazing- everyone here is extremely intelligent and wants to see you succeed. Unlike many sales organizations whose employees are competitive among each other, Gartner employees want to help you and see you grow as well. The organization is very structured and the training is first class- I learned more about business in my 2 months of training than I did in 4 years of undergraduate + 2 years of an MBA. I would 100% recommend this company to anyone.

Cons

This is definitely not a job for anyone. Your success depends on how much effort you put in.

Keep up the great work!

Smart people, great culture, good product

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You work with really smart people, both internally and when speaking with prospects and clients. You get to have real, interesting true business conversations and help companies grow and make informed decisions.

Cons

Some luck is involved from a territory perspective as well as who manages you. It also sucks being stuck inside all day.

Metrics are important, but people are more important. Show us you know us. I was fortunate to have awesome management that really cared - but have seen the ugly. Managers that can't sell can't manage, period. Don't get caught up in too much politics.

Great Company, Good Pay, Unlimited Opportunity

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

Untapped Market
    Great Training
    Decent Comp Structure for Business Development Executive

Cons

Base salary below standard in the tech industry
    No work from home policy