Gartner Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
4.0

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Gartner employs a lot of smart people which make it an exceptional environment to learn and grow (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Talks a good game for work-life balance, but many Account Executive jobs require round the clock work (in 16 reviews)

• Most promotions are internal , which means that middle management is not always best in class (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

I love my job and the brilliant people I work with!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working with high performing and motivated people. Immediate and generous benefits, over the top incentive trips for sales.

Cons

Having great management is critical. My experiences have been positive, but I have had peers who did not have a supporting, advocating manager. Manager Training and support has improved so my hope is this weakness has been identified and a solution in place.

Provide generous compensation for those moving up from within the company. Penalizing financial compensation because of previous business unit affiliation or internal salary caps is discouraging to those committed to Gartner and wanting long term careers. It is disheartening to know that one could make more money if they leave the company and return as an external hire rather than receive a promotion. I assure you leadership- this is a well known fact and it damages the brand of this company I love so much and causes us to lose some really good folks.

A very good expwrience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Gartner

Pros

The ability to work with c level executives helping them executed a forward thinking business strategy with the enabling of it technologies

Cons

The internet has made the flow if once propriety information much easier and the need to move from subscription service to cionsulting

No advice

Great organization to join from a Research perspective

Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst  in  Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Positive culture and environment
    - Clear objectives and targets
    - Very flat structure - senior management are accessible
    - Organization encourages independent thought and opinion

Cons

- Strategic priorities appear to change within the same year
    - Management focus can shift significantly on a year to year basis
    - Highly (too?) metric driven approach to individual assessment

Don't get completely obsessed with the numbers and look beyond those to what matters in reality

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Their upfront investment in their sales people is like nothing I've ever been a part of-

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have 20-years in I/T...16-years with a large "blue" organization who for good reason, prided themselves on their sales training. After recently returning from Gartner's 5-week long Field Academy and spending weeks away from my family...I can say with confidence that an entirely new standard has been set with respect to sales training. Beyond products, the training leveraged best practices in value selling and the real-life leveraging of nearly all of our internal systems and resources. Every person walked into that training endeavor with relatively zero understanding of the enormity of Gartner's offerings, aside from a Magic Quadrant or Hype Cycle. Coming out, we not only had a clear understanding of our value, we had the ability to immediately own a territory, run our business, leverage our people and systems, and provide immediate value for our future clients. If it sounds like I drank the Kool-Aid, perhaps I did...but as many years a professional seller, I cannot envision a better company to have been selected to represent for the second half of my career. Class act - across the board.

Cons

Their training requires two weeks in Ft. Myers Florida, one week remote learning and ride-a-longs from your home office, then two weeks back in Ft. Myers. We were not permitted to go home on the weekends during those two 2-week spans. This made it difficult on many of us with families...especially the women with young children. The rationale here was not explained...therefore caused a certain amount of angst. We came to the assumption that this was intended to provide the opportunity to gather outside of the classroom and create bonds amongst ourselves - perhaps allowing us to create friendships and lean on each other when hitting the field. While this training regiment is mandatory, and clearly spelled out during the interview process, a simple professional explanation as to the rationale for not allowing us to return home on the weekends would have been appreciated. (Even if it was simply a cost-related travel decision) If in fact this was to create a bond, it probably worked, as some of the best memories took place over the weekends...and tears and man-hugs were-a-flowing as we prepared to depart after our graduation. That said, we were all experienced and successful sales professionals - explaining the purpose of the rules would have gone further than simply enforcing them.

The training regiment that you have put together is amazing. Continue to hire the best and brightest and and to make this investment up front. We collectively felt as if the 5-week investment shaved 6-months off of our ramp up time in the field. Work on the content of week 4...as we felt there were areas that were drawn out longer than necessary for the message delivered. During the other 4-weeks, we actually struggled to identify a single half-hour span that wasn't time well spent...impressive. While understanding your not wanting us to lose focus of training, we felt as if it would have been appropriate to deliver us our numbers and accounts in week 4, so that our planning activities, compensation models and pathway to to our objectives could leverage real data...and offer us an additional kick-start advantage.

Best Job Ever

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Where else can you be a part of setting strategy for your clients? Direct access to CIO's and executive team, with the ability to really make a difference and bring value to every meeting because of the excellent analyst community (i.e. 'product') that Gartner offers. I work from home, manage my own schedule and my boss is not at all a micro-manager. He expects a strong work ethic and excellent results, and he gets it.

Cons

At a corporate level, I have some concerns with how Gartner manages clients 'geographically' as it creates situations in which you are competing against your peers in other regions; also with executives maintaining more than one office it is often not clear where 'home base' is, which means everything in terms of how the growth is recognized and how that client is managed.

Even though I am extremely satisfied in my job and with Gartner, I am still looking for 'what's next.' Can I really expect to grow THIS territory 20% yoy? What roles could I move into without having to move my family to another state (I'm remote)? You're doing a great job and literally the only thing I can come up with is "Consider what your long-term strategy is for retention of the sales force, which as you know typically carries notoriously high turnover rates."

The best place to continuously learn, grow and develop

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you like being in a challenging environment where you are always looking to push yourself, then Gartner is the place for you. The people at Gartner are world class and make up an incredible culture. You are constantly working with smart and driven people both inside the company and with your clients. The company has a clearly defined strategy that has served its clients and associates well.

Cons

As a Company that is always trying to improve and grow sometimes it is hard to relax and reflect on what you are accomplishing

Stay the course and don't lose your focus on your people

A terrific place to work

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

-Smart people; Interesting work; Interesting industry

Cons

-None that I can think of

Client Partner

Current Employee - Client Partner  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Partner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company! Very positive culture and work environment. Extremely professional and welcoming. Management is very accessible and really takes care of associates, there is a lot of emphasis on professional and personal development. Extremely respectful of work/life balance, ideal company is you have a family and you are ready to challenge yourself and learn every day something new.

Cons

Data driven company. Hit your quota is essential for career progression and to maintain your role. Metrics really count. Numbers count more than words.

Go on like this, you are extremity helpful and supportive.

I love it here!

Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst
    Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Positive work environment with a lot of room for growth both in and outside your direct organization. People are willing to help you learn and happy to see you succeed. I feel valued as an employee.

Cons

I really don't have any cons, I really like the company.

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Uncapped earning potential, world travel, exciting atmosphere.

Cons

Hard to move up internally, most high level managers look outside of the company for outside sales

Move people around every 2/3 years based on personal performance. This way you'll keep your top talent eager to learn/move to the next level

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!