Gartner

Gartner Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall

Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Gartner employs a lot of smart people which make it an exceptional environment to learn and grow(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Talks a good game for work-life balance, but many Account Executive jobs require round the clock work(in 16 reviews)

• Most promotions are internal , which means that middle management is not always best in class(in 16 reviews)

Worst Company Ever

Account Manager SMB (Current Employee) Fort Myers, FL

ProsNone, there is no pro to working here stay away.

ConsMany the list is to long to fit here. I will be leaving company in 4 weeks, found another company that is so so much better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and quit thinking you run the world. Especially local management in the fort myers office. Local management walks around like they are the president of the united states and they have no clue about anything business related.

ALL HAT NO CATTLE. This precisely describes Gartner

Account Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsI have worked at the company for many years. It was good when I started but unfortunately it has headed into the tank in the past several years.

The company is so hung up on its policies and procedures that it has become Paralyzed By Process.

ConsBenefits suck

Pay for performance has gone away; now it is based on lets have a whole bunch of mediocre worker bees.

The wrong people are getting promoted. These are the ones who play the politics and tell others what to do but cannot effectively do what they preach.

I have updated my resume, having several interviews each week and will be moving on shortly.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are all rumors in your own minds.

Good until you look under the skin

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Gartner is the largest and most widely recognised research company, this does have its perks

- Market trends show Gartner as stable, the result is that although the "job for life" no longer exists, job security is good

Cons- Analysts are treated like rockstars. They travel first class and enjoy the perks of traditional C-level employees, In reality they are not true subject matter experts but IT journalists

- Expense policies are ridiculous - there are employees eating out in very expensive restaurants whilst at events (not even entertaining customers) whilst pretty much all other IT companies are attempting to save money

- Review process is a joke - employees are given status as "upcoming stars" but then are treated badly by middle and upper management. I know of examples where people have been asked to apply for a more senior role and then the person who asked them to apply is the person to deny the application!

- Recruitment process is also a joke - HR advertise jobs which either don't exist or they state the candidate is not a good fit despite numerous colleagues providing referrals and also confirming in writing prior that the candidate is a good fit!

- Non US employees do not benefit from the same luxuries as US employees

- Not un-typical to other US based companies, Gartner has more job titles than you can shake a stick at. Hardly any of them make sense and I wouldn't be surprised if even the cleaner has a Senior Director or VP title!

Advice to Senior Management- Sort out your fees, policies and do not discriminate against non US employees. If your customers get wind of you allowing employees to travel first class and enjoy C-level dinners at their expense, you may find that this impacts your 'relationship' with them

- Recruit fairly globally

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible company to work for

Major Accounts (Former Employee)

ProsThe employees and the role was virtual.

ConsNot sure there is enough space to share my thoughts. But a few notable points are be ware, they are quick to fire you and quick to move on. They really have underestimated the competition and their rate cards for services are totally out of whack. Management is disengaged and not supportive. They have a marketing team that fill you full of lies and constantly recruiting. They have ruined my career.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone as they dont listen anyways, you are only an individual contributor in their eyes.

Avoid the Client Partner Group in Fort Myers

Associate Client Partner (Current Employee) Fort Myers, FL

ProsDecent benefits, generous amount of PTO and well-respected brand

ConsNot enough growth potential (career or financial), very micro-managed, they are hiring in less and less experienced Client Partners at lower salaries and so the level of professional experience in the Client Partner Group is declining.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach your VPs how to act when at a company outing in public. For example, on one of our last outings a VP in the HTTP group LOST his cell phone and then accused people of stealing it. He made the amusement park we were at ask all of their employees if they stole his iPhone. It was mortifying to be associated with this type of behavior. Start checking the egos of your management and VPs.

Broken Promises

SMB Account Manager (Former Employee) Fort Myers, FL

ProsGood job for a kid coming out of college. You can make a ton of professional connections for your more promising career at another company.

ConsThis is a call center, make no doubt about it. You are trained to be a robot on the phone. If you like telemarketing, you'll like it here.

To be successful you need to get in good with the right people and play their games. You need to be in the "good old boys club" for career advancement. Very unprofessional environment with a high school level of drama. Very high AE turnover.

Sells you on a 6 figure income, but only about 1/3 of the sales force even makes plan ($60k).

8 weeks of Academy is almost usless. Even the experienced AE's and Managers will tell you to forget everything you learned in Academy because it is NOT how the real world works.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house of upper management, reset the job culture and give a more realistic description of the job in interviews.

"Sinking Ship-Abandon before it drowns you and your morals in life"

Account Executive (Former Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsIf you are fresher out of college excellent opportunity to make money and if you are experienced candidate from a tier-B companies a "So Called" brand name Gartner would attract you.

ConsIf there is one organization that dis*ts me it has to be Gartner. Every Sales driven organization is aggressive, competitive and crude when it comes to performance no denial in that. But Gartner India is decomp* internally to the core.

Compensation & Benefits- If you manage to close business by taking your prospects for a ride with no concrete product or service, you will make money.

Work/Life Balance- Highly Male chauvinist driven culture. Go and speak to few current employees they would tell you the tale of work life balance.

Senior Management- Their last India H* was fired in a weeks’ time after spending 8 years in Gartner due to his excellent people management skills. I wonder why did they wait for 8 years.

Last but not the least 60% of their current sales force have floated their CV in the market, don't believe me, ask any staffing company which does sales professional hunting.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts high time guys to get out of that shell which has crippled your spine.
    You are like that disgusting parent who when lose their child tell each other "don't worry dear, we will make another one "

Working here is GREAT if you absolutely have no other options on the table.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsWorking at Gartner is slightly better than being unemployed and homeless. Although, Stamford is building a new homeless shelter that is way better than my apartment now. So once that opens, this Pro will no longer be valid.

ConsPut it this way, the whole place is a con. But until you find that next opportunity, you keep your head down and wait. Or hope that the rapture happens soon. Unless the rapture did happen, and I am stuck in hell...would explain a lot actually.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are going to do what they want, so why bother giving advice?

Research Content Specialist

Research Content Specialist (Former Employee) Trumbull, CT

ProsHonestly, the only real pro about working for this company is they give you a nice starting salary, and good PTO, but that's about it.

ConsThere are so many cons about this company, I can't even keep track. First off, no one there thinks for themselves, and the lack of professionalism is minimal. They don't practice what they preach. They don't treat employees with respect, unless they are sucking up to the ladder. Favoritism is displayed at its finest at this company. Management, especially in Inquiry, may be the worst I have ever seen in a working environment. Just because someone is good at inputting numbers on a computer screen, doesn't mean the next logical step is management, but that is what they do. The are some on the dullest, least creative people I have ever met. They don't care about the people the are "supposedly" managing, but only looking out for themselves to impress the guy at the top. Some managers don't even have the skill to talk to people on their teams as professionals. I can keep going, but the best thing I can say here is just don't even waste your time, because you won't be accomplishing anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage. They are so far away from doing a good job in the "management" space, I don't think there is any advice I could give that wouldn't be a lost cause, as they are very much a my way or no way type of working environment/culture.

a good place to start your career

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Fort Myers, FL

Proslooks great on your resume
    in sales if you can get into a profitable territory you can do very well
    GREAT learning experience for a hard worker just out of college or if you're a pretty girl

Consdon't let the long list of cons discourage you, if you are prepared to dedicate the time to hard work and playing politics, you can do very well in experience and pay
    in sales - if you are "too" smart they'll put you into a crappy territory because you'll fail a lot less than a dumber person- they are more concerned with the bottom line than with their people. You'll see a lot of turnover with experienced sales people who see through the game
    Your manager may throw you under the bus when things don't go well- and take credit for coaching you when things do go well.
    poor work/life balance- be prepared to spend a great deal of time in your cubicle (in respect to their fort myers sales operation) it is "inside" sales so get ready to dedicate a big piece of your life to sitting on your ass.
    if you are not a technology person it can be difficult to match up your clients' needs to the Gartner solution. If your client realizes that they can use that position against you in contract negotiations
    My colleague was given her quarterly bonus when she did not make her number. She went to mgmt in tears, claiming she already spent the money. That was years ago, and now she is a regional mgr. Point being, rewards were often based upon being part of the "club" so be prepared to comform or look the other way when you see undue rewards / favoritism displayed
    Fort Myers is not known as the social capital of the country, be prepared to spend your commission checks just getting the hell out of the SW Florida every weekend.
    You'll find local Gartner sales managers are mostly old sales people who, for some reason or another, can't move on. The result is your boss may be a veteran order- taker who plays the game but is of very little value as a coach.
    Regional sales managers across the country have the real authority. Be prepared to take direction from them, even if it conflicts with your goals
    The technology and sales tools available to reps are a joke, the systems and processes were embarrassingly old for a company that is supposed to be predicting trends. They have made, over the years, several (that I know of) technology investments that clearly bombed and cost the company millions. I think the big technology players know this and barely give Gartner analysts the time of day. How can you advise others when you're a hot mess yourself?

Advice to Senior Managementhow about reading / implementing the same advice you sell your clients?

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!