Gartner

Gartner Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall

Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Gartner employs a lot of smart people which make it an exceptional environment to learn and grow(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Talks a good game for work-life balance, but many Account Executive jobs require round the clock work(in 16 reviews)

• Most promotions are internal , which means that middle management is not always best in class(in 16 reviews)

Client Partner

Client Partner (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat company! Very positive culture and work environment. Extremely professional and welcoming. Management is very accessible and really takes care of associates, there is a lot of emphasis on professional and personal development. Extremely respectful of work/life balance, ideal company is you have a family and you are ready to challenge yourself and learn every day something new.

ConsData driven company. Hit your quota is essential for career progression and to maintain your role. Metrics really count. Numbers count more than words.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo on like this, you are extremity helpful and supportive.

Great People, Great Companpy

Account Executive (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsLevel of talent, brand recognition, great sales leadership

ConsPricing, access model for clients, subscription based and non-tangible asset

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat leadership, great vision. Continue to try and find more flexible access models for teams, document sharing, etc...

Great products, great people.

Corporate Function (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsHigh calibre people, everywhere! Super products and an excellent brand.

ConsCan be political, especially in corporate functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept international operations will not be identical to US.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love it here!

Principal Research Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsPositive work environment with a lot of room for growth both in and outside your direct organization. People are willing to help you learn and happy to see you succeed. I feel valued as an employee.

ConsI really don't have any cons, I really like the company.

Best place I've ever worked

Inside Sales Account Executive (Current Employee) Fort Myers, FL

ProsUncapped earning potential, world travel, exciting atmosphere.

ConsHard to move up internally, most high level managers look outside of the company for outside sales

Advice to Senior ManagementMove people around every 2/3 years based on personal performance. This way you'll keep your top talent eager to learn/move to the next level

Great place to learn and make a difference for your clients. But, management struggles to motivate.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule (if working remotely) and you make a significant impact to the clients that you work with. Great to work with and learn from the Gartner analyst team. Also, provide great training to equip you with the knowledge to approach CXO's. Also, well respected brand which is great for your resume.

ConsHigh growth company means that sales territories are shrinking, and with it earnings opportunity. Mid level management does not motivate and pushes a transactional model on what should be a strategic sales model. There seems to be a mismatch between manager goals and sales compensation. CRM is outdated which leads to duplication of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you offer your top performers the same opportunity and earnings today, that you did in the past. Do not promote the best reps, promote the best leaders who will inspire and motivate.

Great company to work for

ProsThe people at Gartner are very clever, interesting and mostly fun. The high achievement culture means that retaining and attracting the best is a given.

ConsMost promotions are internal , which means that middle management is not always best in class. There is no place for failure here and memories can be short.

Good Company

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood company, decent pay, reasonable opportunity to build success

ConsToo many sales people, opportunity is shrinking and its more difficult to build business than in the past

Account Manager SMB

Accpunt Manager SMB (Current Employee) Fort Myers, FL

ProsGood training available. Great corporate culture with opportunity for growth. Gartner is an amazing company which offers great pay and benefits. I'd recommend other areas besides SMB however.

ConsManagement in SMB is boys club. Current Sales staff is young and inexperienced and the sales floor can have a bit of a frat house atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct like adults...

Great ESPECIALLY if you learn how to play the politics.

Business Process Lead (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsWorking with highly intelligent people who have a passion for what they do. Ability to travel around the world. Its a respected brand in the IT research and advisory industry. Training for Sales people is very thorough, for other departments it is less structured and up to the manager. The office space is newly re-designed and has a state of the art gym.

ConsThe compensation is not up to market standards or to the standards of living for lower Fairfield County. In some departments there is no flexibility to work from home, although if you are an Analyst, these rules do not apply. It is hard to get ahead is some departments, like most corporations office politics play an important role in who is promoted and who isn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith regards to your employees in CT, please take into account the cost of living in Fairfield County and surrounding areas when creating comp plans. If most employees are moving north due to the cost of living, consider allowing more employees to work out of the Trumbull facility. Some of your employees are spending 4 hours a day just on their commute to work, in this day and age, that's just dumb! Also, don't just say that the "culture" is to promote from within, provide opportunities for employees to learn other roles.

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!