Gartner

Updated December 16, 2014
4.0

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Some groups allow you to work from home all the time or some of the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging if you dont clearly set this with yourself (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management is by comparison very poor and the leadership lacks strategic vision (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

99 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to build a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a healthy, growing company, Gartner offers excellent training and growth opportunities. Salaries & benefits are competitive and there is good work/life balance. The performance-focused culture is largely a meritocracy.

Cons

Like any company, the politics can get intense. The company is also run in a very top down-fashion which may appeal to process oriented people but might not to more innovation focused people. The company also has low gender and ethnic diversity, especially in the upper management ranks.

1. Allocate a bit more focus to blue-ocean innovation rather than focusing exclusively on operational innovation.
    2. Develop active policies to promote gender and ethnic diversity at all levels.

Unique, rewarding place

Current Employee - Director in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

At Gartner you work with brilliant people and sit at the cutting edge of IT. People are supportive and collaborative. Things change all the time and change quickly, so you need to be OK with change to do well here. HR encouarges people to develop and move to new opportunities around the compnay. Gartner's bought up some competitors and has a very strong financial health. Its also known for integrity.

Cons

For an IT company, systems investments are not as good as you might expect. Things get bureucratic sometimes. Performance reviews follow a stack-rank kind of system, which creates competiton and requires everyone to keep developing their skills.

Work at home is discouraged for some locations and business units, That's s shame since we are a global company we ought to have access to a global talent pool.

Amazing company - great opportunity if you put your mind to it - slackers do not apply!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Career opportunity - the sky is the limit if you work hard enough and are mobile
    Pay for performance
    Culture
    Appreciation of efforts

Cons

I really can't think of any - great PTO, great health plan, great working locations. There is personal growth available at all levels, but you have to make it work for you - i.e. don't expect anything to be handed on a pl;ate

Keep up the great work - full of inspirational leaders

Great Opportunities for Ambitious People

Current Employee - Senior Research Content Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Research Content Specialist in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, great benefits, You will likely be given a lot of opportunities and recognized if you work hard

Cons

Some of the leadership is a bit out of touch and outdated. Success at this company strongly depends on your leadership

Focus more on professional development of associates. Don't let legacy associates slack.

Best company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work with some of the smartest IT professionals in the industry. My team is dynamic and we have fun working together. On occasion We also spend time together out of work as well. Great place if you are looking for work and family balance.

Cons

Like many large companies there is too much process or procedures for simple requests.

Great place to work !

Current Employee - Database Marketing Manager in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Database Marketing Manager in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment . Friendly yet professional.

Cons

Not enough room for growth within the organization

A positive environment filled with intelligent employees

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The best way I can describe Gartner is as a place that people come back to. Many employees here have worked here for an extended period of time uninterrupted, but many have gone on to other opportunities only to return to Gartner. The atmosphere is positive, the people are intelligent and driven.

Cons

The contracting agency that Gartner uses is inefficient and compensates poorly - low pay to contractors, few to no benefits. There is a dearth of interesting full time entry-level positions.

Run, Forest(er), Run!

Former Employee - Peon in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Peon in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner

Pros

Hmmmm. Can't think of anything off hand.

Cons

No management, no HR, crap benefits, and getting worse every year. Churn and Burn is their philosophy on staff - everyone can be replaced.

Advise to shareholder: Fire the EC now.

Finance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Lots of vacation that mostly is untaken.

Cons

No life/work balance. Senior management good Middle-management needs to improve.

Good company but employee experiences vary by team

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner (more than 8 years)

Pros

More vacation time than any other company I have heard of. 20 days to start plus holidays and this goes up to 30 days after four years. Some groups allow you to work from home all the time or some of the time.

Cons

Salaries can be below average except in some teams, like Sales. If you are lucky to be on a good team with a good boss you can rise quickly. But if you are on one of the teams with bad managers or politics though you can be held back. Some people in that situation leave the company and then come back later if they want to move up.

Top management is great. Look for the middle managers who let politics slow down progress and their direct reports' careers.