GasPedal

Andy Sernovitz

Workplace with a Family Feel

Former Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at GasPedal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My experience was phenomenal. I really enjoyed the family feeling that I had with all of my co-workers. CEO Andy Sernovitz welcomed my husband and I into his home on our first trip to Austin and I quickly connected with everyone else in the company.

You also have an amazing community of professionals that you have the opportunity to both assist as "customers"and also learn from their shared experiences. The role and the mission of this organizations is really incredible when you compare it to alternatives. What GasPedal offers is unique and highly valued by their customers. I had a very strong feeling of purpose while working here and often point back to their way of doing things as an exceptional model.

Cons

I had to leave the company when we decided to move back to our home state as full-time telework does not fit their company culture. I still stay in touch with a large group of my former co-workers including the CEO who was instrumental in helping me acquire my next position with another company.

Mixed Feelings

I worked at GasPedal full-time

Pros

-Coworkers...Like everyone else has already said, there are good people working there, and that's the best part of this company. Caveat: there are some serious cliques (see cons).

-Keep work at work.....There is a lot of truth to the reviews stating that people leave work right at 5 and don't have to work at home. The work/life balance is pretty awesome.

-Flexibility....Doctors appointment? Not feeling well? Repair guy coming? No issue to stay home. I'm not convinced there aren't folks who take advantage of that pretty liberally, but then again, what company doesn't experience that?

-Devoted member base....there is a solid subset of member companies who love what the group offers, and they are wonderful to work with.

Cons

-Clique-ish....Depending on how long you've worked there, the department you're in, etc. this group can feel an awful lot like high school. Even when you're "in", you're on the brink of being "out". I think the CEO fosters this. He very clearly has employees he favors and kids around with, and then "the others."

-CEO doesn't take constructive criticism well...This is a real struggle for morale. Staff members are smart and come up with great suggestions. CEO does not seem receptive to new ideas, contrary to the airtime he gives to quality improvement and constantly evolving. Words are loud, but actions are louder.

-Low pay...This is a tricky one. They make salary offers dependent on the job and not the experience that someone brings to the table. Which is fully understandable to an extent. But it seems like there should be a range of salaries that speak to your background rather than a 1.5k range based on the job. Even as I type this, I see where they come from. But it feels pretty bad from an applicants' perspective.

-Repetitive work with low growth...They document everything and are very prescriptive. This is immensely helpful for training. And then very quickly it becomes de-stimulating. You can just follow a script/process/document, and your independent thought seems to dither away. You have to request opportunities for growth. I think the company is experiencing growing pains, and they are so focused on filling new jobs that they ignore the staff already filling roles and what those staff members need to feel fulfilled and growing.

-Patronizing policies...Example: this is a reply-all company. Someone has a birthday, a work success, etc, there is an email chain with every staff member included and you are supposed to reply all to celebrate the event. Fun? At first. Annoying? Yes, eventually. The kicker for me was when a new staff member was hired, all the reply-all welcome emails came flying out, and then the CEO wrote a note to the ENTIRE COMPANY saying there needed to be "more variety in the welcome emails because they all looked similar." Seriously?

-Trying too hard....Sort of related to the previous bullet (and already been mentioned by other reviews), this company spends a lot of time and energy talking about how great they are. It's all over their websites, social media feeds, etc. But on the inside, that feels awfully forced. There is a small group who may truly be on that kool-aid, but the rest feel the fakeness. Less talk, more do.

-Cart before the horse for growth....No doubt about it, the company is growing. But the CEO/senior management has made some pretty huge leaps (think: real estate. Read about the compound just purchased online) that may be over-promising. Member dues were increased by FIFTY percent in one fell swoop. Some members were ok with that; a LOT were not and the renewal rates speak to that. CEO envisions skyrocketing growth, but my gut says that's not realisitic and they are digging themselves into a very large hole.

You started the company and were in tune at the time. Time has passed, and now there are members of your staff far more in tune with your members and the day-to-day functioning of the communities than you are. Listen to those people. Really, listen to them.

Amazing

Former Employee - Senior Community Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Community Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at GasPedal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

fun folks to work with, work-life balance, flexible work day

Cons

not for those that dislike the same routine

Fulfilling because it's demanding (and vice versa)

Current Employee - Vice President Community in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President Community in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GasPedal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It starts with the people. The customers are a generous group that you're happy to serve; your coworkers will become friends. The company's mission-driven focus begins with customer service -- I think many companies say that, but few take it as seriously as we do. That can feel like pressure sometimes: We aim to please a lot of people. What's amazing to me is, even on (the few) bad days, you know you're as supported by the people you work with as they feel by you. On the (plentiful) good days, everybody's just so proud of each other and eager to play their part, you can't help but feel the love.

The typical parts that people look at when considering a place to work are all home runs and I think often understated: There's a very conscious effort to pay people more-than-fairly and give raises often; great health benefit packages are available; work gets assigned with a intentional emphasis on work-life balance; you're encouraged to expense books/magazines for professional development.

Cons

It's not for everybody. You are expected to give 100% when you're on the clock, and again, I think a lot of people think they're ready for that -- but they're not. This is a group of high-achievers, and when a new hire doesn't work out, it can cause existing employees to pause and say, "Am I next? Am I doing the right things?" And they are; it's just unsettling. Maintaining and improving on that performance takes energy and confidence.

It's a select group that makes the cut... and at times, that group isn't as big a number as we'd like, as some departments are understaffed. Balancing and respecting bandwidth sometimes takes effort (but then, we'd rather be too busy than not. If you'd rather have extended time periods where you can kick back on the job, you won't enjoy this place).

(Disclosure: I'm in management here.) As the company grows, employees continue to feel a need to be heard. In start-up days, that was all on the CEO; now managers can and should fill that role. Providing concrete, objective goals -- and lighting the path to reach them -- will further create an atmosphere where employees can thrive and feel even more secure in their work. These things are already being worked on; continuing to listen to and respect employee input will keep everyone committed to the cause.

Intern

I worked at GasPedal

Pros

Great Office. Great People. All in all I learned a lot.

Cons

The internship was unpaid, but it was stipend.

Best team I've ever worked with

I have been working at GasPedal full-time

Pros

I truly enjoy my job at GasPedal. Working here has been the most rewarding job so far in my career. The people here are all highly motivated, incredibly sharp, and unbelievably kind. The culture among employees is supportive and doesn't have even an ounce of competitiveness or ego. Each employee truly wants what is best for the company and the best for our members. As a group, we truly care about doing what's best for the customer and delivering above and beyond levels of customer service.

The company supports a very healthy work-life balance. The office clears out daily at 5 PM and everyone goes home to focus on their families and personal lives. Benefits and time off are both good. No complaints here!

Cons

The only true con that I can see is that we are going through a growth spurt and some departments are short staffed. The good news is that we've recently hired a new VP of Talent and recruitment is a big priority right now. However, while we are in this transition it can be frustrating to want to do more and achieve more, and not have the time or resources to do it.

The best part about working here is that the there is no artificial ladder to climb and that all employees have a voice. The collaboration is what makes this workplace so great. Keep it that way as we grow.

Hello from the CEO

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Austin, TX

I have been working at GasPedal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hi I'm the CEO and founder of GasPedal.

As you can see, some people love this place. And some really hate it.

We have a very strong culture, and it's not for everyone. For people who don't like it here, they sometimes really really hate it (and sometimes they hate me too). That's OK. I hope they find a place they love and where they can thrive.

For the people who like our culture, it's a wonderful, supportive place where people find long-term career happiness. That might be you, too.

Please take a look at our web site, which is specifically for the purpose of finding out if you'd enjoy being a part of this team. It's very open and transparent about the ups and downs of working at GasPedal.

I happy to talk if you'd like to explore if this is a place that might make you happy.

Cons

Not everyone wants to work the same way, and not everyone wants the same destination — and that’s OK.

Meaningful and interesting work for a company that's more like a family

I have been working at GasPedal full-time

Pros

Coworkers, hands down. I've never had a complaint about anyone who works here; we all work hard and we all care about the work that we do. There are no office politics, hard as that may be to believe but it's true, and you'll never feel like you're the only one pulling your weight. Everyone's a rock star and wants to help you succeed.

Great work-life balance. Management trusts everyone to do the work they need to do. Hardly anyone stays in late and if you have to work from home because of an emergency, that's okay. You can do what you have to do without worrying about having to account for every hour you're not in the office. It's your work that's important.

Really interesting, impactful work. In a company of this size you can very easily suggest and implement changes that make an immediate impact. If your idea has merit, the logistics are sound, and the resources are available, the company is flexible enough to adapt. The big question is always "will it make things better?" It's very incredibly rewarding to work for a place that values efficiency over bureaucracy.

Cons

This place isn't for everyone. It asks a lot of people, and I think this is why some of them haven't worked out. It's demanding work, and it isn't suited for people who want to have a set of tasks they'll do day in and day out. Even with the most established job descriptions, there is always a push to do better, to work smarter. Change is a part of work here, so you can't be scared of it.

Growing pains. This isn't a start-up anymore. The company's growing, but it's also not fully matured yet, which means scaling operations is going to take some time and effort. We're definitely outgrowing our office space and there will be some hiccups along the way as far as switching service providers and so on; in many ways it will feel much like a start-up again, which can be unnerving.

Be sure to read the reviews under the actual company name GasPedal

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at GasPedal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's a "cool" factor for friends that don't know anything about the company because it has something to do with social media and seems like a hip start-up.

Cons

If you read the reviews under the company’s real name GasPedal instead of the company's alternate ego Socialmedia.org, you will repeatedly see complaints about the CEO. Without him, this would no doubt be a very cool place to work. Unfortunately, it is his company and he's in every aspect of it. Most of the reviews here are probably written by management. They don’t seem credible considering the daily tone of the staff.

Where the grass truly is greener

I have been working at GasPedal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the crew: Amazing, Inspiring, Talented, and Caring. There isn't anything that your colleague won't do for you and the collaboration here is great. You can speak freely about your ideas without feeling like you're putting someone else ideas down; it mostly turns to evolving the project at hand into greatness.

the work: you get to work in/on/for a community that is focus on doing the right thing in social. Showcasing their successes and helping people help each other be better.

the culture: positive, creative, open. For a group so dedicated on getting things done, making it happen and all at 130%, you'd think that the hours would be long and weekends expected. Honestly, I've never had a better work/life balance.

Cons

We work between 2 offices, Austin and Chicago. While communication is great, it's a bummer that you can't just hang out with everyone you work with.

Continue being transparent and focused on the big picture