Gatan Reviews

Reset
2.6
Sander Gubbens

1. Break through technology development in the scientific community

Pros

Flexible working hours. No hard schedules for development.

Cons

No clear vision. Sometimes a harsh work environment.

No consideration for individual growth, you have no value unless you're someones' boy

I have been working at Gatan full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, once a month there is a BBQ

Cons

Flexible hours essentially works both ways here, because you often have to come in on the weekends or stay back until 1am to get things done, often because of laughable circumstances and the expectation that blame will be solely placed in your lap. Peoples personal and professional aspirations are not met or respected, and extremely gifted and once hardworking people who would have bent over backwards to push a project through end up burnt out and disillusioned as management fills promotions with "their boys", its closer to a gradual majority occupation of the senate.... The pay is not proportional to the cost of living in the area, or even nearby. Although you will be told that you are getting a handsome salary and should be grateful. The explanation is often "everyone else went through it" or, "we owe it to our shareholders" but obviously the company owes its employees nothing.... I have literally seen people earn the company massive potential revenue with their ideas, practically overnight yet they are no better off years later than when they started.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites, respect the personal and professional aspirations of your employees - grant them the dignity of a salary commensurate to their talents and don't dump on them at the first opportunity.

3. great company, excellent technical culture.

Pros

Friendly workplace, good management, good facility and location.

Cons

Smaller company, no free donuts.

Advice to Management

need to have an on site HR person.

Not much of room for growth

I have been working at Gatan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Your Co-workers are great, the hours are flexible and the technology is top rate.

Cons

Raises are few and far between, benefits are poor and some supervisors are always looking over your shoulder. Advancement is only given to the people they like even if those people don't have the skills to do the job.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your middle mgrs, they play favorites

Great company for a 9-5 work life balance.

I have been working at Gatan full-time

Pros

Its a great company that is considered to be a leader in its niche. Some smart people work here. The people are very friendly and helpful. The work life balance is great.

Cons

Professional growth is difficult. Cannot plan ahead farther than a quarter to six months. Most of the days feel chaotic. Employees have no incentive to go beyond the status quo or their immediate deliverables, which can change on a daily basis. Goals, objectives and personal development plans in annual reviews are sidelined as most of the year is spent in chaos. It seems like each individual in the company works on their own little task without knowing how it is going to affect others.

Advice to Management

Have a bonus plan. Collect formal feedback on managers from people they report to. Enable communications within the teams and between teams.

Great small, nimble high-tech company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Gatan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a free creative hand at work to solve problems and make improvements as long as I convince people that I have their best interests at heart. Smart people who are generally very easy to talk to, from the hourly staff to the President. Very engaging and challenging technical field. And it's the perfect size company for me -- large enough to have power in its industry, and small enough to not get lost in the bureaucracy of a larger organization. The pay and benefits are good, too. My spouse and I agree that I'm the happiest at Gatan that I have ever been with any employer.

Cons

Some management and staff are more people-oriented than others, but that's true anywhere. As in any collection of engineers, you sometimes need to make people talk to each other and not just trade endless emails.

Advice to Management

Maintain the current balance of large company rigor and small company openness. Spend a little more effort mixing the management and staff from the different regions of the world, which will pay large dividends later when sharing information and problem solving. And Gatan logo shirts!

Hard to innovate at Gatan

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Gatan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice people. Good work/life balance- the parking lot is empty by 5.15.

Cons

They don't know anything about software. Physicists write spaghetti code and think it's genius.

Advice to Management

Bring some software professionals in.

Disappointed with my time here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Gatan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting problems to work on; friendly coworkers; reasonably flexible scheduling; monthly catered lunches

Cons

Dismal management, poor rewards, bad morale, culture of secrecy, low pay, low raises, no performance-related bonus

Advice to Management

Put down the stick and get a bag of carrots

Not a good place to work

I have been working at Gatan full-time

Pros

The work is interesting & challenging.

Cons

The management is not, they lay to you to pay you less...!

Lord of the Flies meets Goodfellas.

Current Employee - SQA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - SQA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Catered lunches by Subway. Good water pressure in the rest rooms. I'm drawing a blank.

Cons

The absolute worst management I have encountered in my career. Brazen mendacity is the part of the corporate culture. The approach to engineering relies on superhero performance from a few, with the rest along for the ride. Ad hoc project management is still used despite chronic failure to deliver on time.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your mistakes and stop acting as proxies for your corporate overlords.

RSS Feed </> Embed