Gate Gourmet

Gate Gourmet Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Gate Gourmet CEO Andrew Gibson

Andrew Gibson

Pros:
  • "Fast Paced workplace, work is never finished, always busy and time goes by very fast"
    in 8 reviews
  • "you got lunch at a discount,and you meet lots of good people from around the globe"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Redundancy and long hours in every dept due to disorganization"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Lack of charisma of senior management"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time

ProsGood enviroment and nice colleagues

ConsPoor benefits and not so professional HR

Advice to Senior ManagementHR should be more involved with employees and value them

Stay away from this place!

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's an atmosphere of constant change so you will get good experience, but that comes at a high price.

ConsThe high price: long hours for pay below the market, management that is poorly educated - many of the old timers are airline catering veterans that maybe graduated from high school, if you don't have airline catering exp. it is hard to get ahead, inadequate systems, no ability to make decisions as this is tightly controlled at the top. It can be absolute chaos on the floor as the bottom line is to get the flights out on time. They talk about recognition and training, but it is lip service. This place crushes your soul.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe corporate types should actually work in the kitchen and see what it is like.

Bad Company to work for

Epa (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to meet people from other cultures.

ConsExtremely low pay for very hard and sometimes painful work.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery unprofessional I've seen them yell at people on the work floor in front of other employees. They do a lot of favortisms especially if you give them sexual favors or money.

Can you handle it? Not many people can.

Director (Current Employee)
Reston, VA

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time for less than a year

ProsThis is a company of doers. Driven people and determination to succeed. Your day will never be boring. You will realize quickly that 90% of people cannot handle multitasking, meeting deadlines and thinking outside of the box. Any level position is designed to be a "stretch" position because that's the only way you will realize your potential. 10% of society can handle the workload. 90% are lazy and think their job is just a pay check. This job and company are designed to push you beyond your limits. Come here to kick start your career and stand out amongst other candidates.

ConsYou will realize who can't handle the business quickly. They usually quit within 18 months. Stay away from these lazy people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Worst job ive had and continue to have

Priority Slave (Current Employee)
Dulles, VA

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHa. Youve got to be kidding

ConsLow and I mean low pay. Supervisor dont have knowledge. No common sense in how to delegate tasks. Great employees get all the work and slackers get an easy ride. No internal promotions, and no training. I feel sorry for new employees, they really dont know what they are signing up for. Supervisors tell and not show duties. Really bad company. There is no ladder to climb, so what is a knowledgable persons motivation in a company like this. Gate Gourmet is just an immigrant dump off slave factory site

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to hold everyone accountable. When you dump all your tasks on your "best" employees, it drains morale. Everyone should pull weight. Give people raises. 10 cents a year isnt equivalent to years of hard work. Show that there is a ladder to climb instead of feeding lies of growth. No reason for seasoned mployees to train newly hired supervisors with no clueof job.

Great senior management

ASG Analyst (Former Employee)
Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time for more than a year

ProsLaid back environment at GG

ConsI have none to share

Management Attitude is Ignorant

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
Dulles, VA

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time for more than a year

ProsFast Paced workplace, work is never finished, always busy and time goes by very fast

ConsDulles - No Chance of Career advancement, The company hires from outside than promote internally unless you know someone onside. Top UNIT management has either no clue about the operation or do not care till its their job on the line, Long hours avg 70hrs/wk(but get paid for 42hrs only), Too many plans but no action. no one knows who owns what responsibility and are never accounted for anything. its just a matter of time before this company is crushed under its own weight.

Advice to Senior ManagementGroom your employees and lower management for career advancement to retain them. when hiring please tell future employees that they will not get any raise or bonus soon.

Gate Gourmet Review

I have been working at Gate Gourmet

ProsNot much to add on the pros side

ConsWay to much micro management, and no one takes ownership on project work. Not a good env to work for.

Cold Food Production

Food Preparer (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time for less than a year

Pros40 hours a week, Union job,paid every week

Consworking in cold food production is a little, BRRRRRRR! But, hey, buy some wool socks,longjohns,gloves,hat, and you will be ok!

Disappointed

Ops Supervisor (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFast paced environment that makes the work day go by quickly. Opportunities for advancement as long as you are the right person. Willing to hire just about anyone for hourly positions. Travel

ConsExtremely long hours. Very stressful. Regularly expected to stay for OT due to being short staffed.. The company talks a big game about safety and how they care about their employees but only if it doesn't cost them too much. Pay is questionable for the amount of work and stress that comes with working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you put as much effort into retaining your current employees as you do recruiting new ones you would see a big improvement with turnover and morale.

Worked for Gate Gourmet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gate Gourmet reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gate Gourmet CEO Andrew Gibson. All 107 reviews posted anonymously by Gate Gourmet employees.