Gate Gourmet

Gate Gourmet Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Gate Gourmet CEO Andrew Gibson

Andrew Gibson

Pros
  • Fast Paced workplace, work is never finished, always busy and time goes by very fast(in 9 reviews)

• you got lunch at a discount,and you meet lots of good people from around the globe(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Redundancy and long hours in every dept due to disorganization(in 10 reviews)

• High workload with little work / life balance available(in 5 reviews)

Can you handle it? Not many people can.

Director (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsThis is a company of doers. Driven people and determination to succeed. Your day will never be boring. You will realize quickly that 90% of people cannot handle multitasking, meeting deadlines and thinking outside of the box. Any level position is designed to be a "stretch" position because that's the only way you will realize your potential. 10% of society can handle the workload. 90% are lazy and think their job is just a pay check. This job and company are designed to push you beyond your limits. Come here to kick start your career and stand out amongst other candidates.

ConsYou will realize who can't handle the business quickly. They usually quit within 18 months. Stay away from these lazy people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Worst job ive had and continue to have

Priority Slave (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsHa. Youve got to be kidding

ConsLow and I mean low pay. Supervisor dont have knowledge. No common sense in how to delegate tasks. Great employees get all the work and slackers get an easy ride. No internal promotions, and no training. I feel sorry for new employees, they really dont know what they are signing up for. Supervisors tell and not show duties. Really bad company. There is no ladder to climb, so what is a knowledgable persons motivation in a company like this. Gate Gourmet is just an immigrant dump off slave factory site

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to hold everyone accountable. When you dump all your tasks on your "best" employees, it drains morale. Everyone should pull weight. Give people raises. 10 cents a year isnt equivalent to years of hard work. Show that there is a ladder to climb instead of feeding lies of growth. No reason for seasoned mployees to train newly hired supervisors with no clueof job.

Management Attitude is Ignorant

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsFast Paced workplace, work is never finished, always busy and time goes by very fast

ConsDulles - No Chance of Career advancement, The company hires from outside than promote internally unless you know someone onside. Top UNIT management has either no clue about the operation or do not care till its their job on the line, Long hours avg 70hrs/wk(but get paid for 42hrs only), Too many plans but no action. no one knows who owns what responsibility and are never accounted for anything. its just a matter of time before this company is crushed under its own weight.

Advice to Senior ManagementGroom your employees and lower management for career advancement to retain them. when hiring please tell future employees that they will not get any raise or bonus soon.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gate Gourmet Review

ProsNot much to add on the pros side

ConsWay to much micro management, and no one takes ownership on project work. Not a good env to work for.

Great senior management

ASG Analyst (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsLaid back environment at GG

ConsI have none to share

Cold Food Production

Food Preparer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Pros40 hours a week, Union job,paid every week

Consworking in cold food production is a little, BRRRRRRR! But, hey, buy some wool socks,longjohns,gloves,hat, and you will be ok!

Disappointed

Ops Supervisor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFast paced environment that makes the work day go by quickly. Opportunities for advancement as long as you are the right person. Willing to hire just about anyone for hourly positions. Travel

ConsExtremely long hours. Very stressful. Regularly expected to stay for OT due to being short staffed.. The company talks a big game about safety and how they care about their employees but only if it doesn't cost them too much. Pay is questionable for the amount of work and stress that comes with working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you put as much effort into retaining your current employees as you do recruiting new ones you would see a big improvement with turnover and morale.

Great leadership

Executive Chef (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLeadership, Strenght in Market place

ConsGlobal Impact on travel industry

Advice to Senior ManagementLean Management, Pass down economics

Horrible nightmare job

Customer Service Representative/Driver (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou can work in extreme heat if you're into that thing. No Air conditioning in trucks despite it being over 100 degree PLUS the heat from jet blast in summer. And then in winter you can work in the cold on slippery Ice, if you like that sort of thing. Trucks have no heat and they do not use anykind of salt or sand or liquid to melt the ice on the ground. I've aready seen a number of people slip and be seriuosly injured due to icy/slippery condition.

Free yearly shoes, of course though they are the cheapest shoes you will ever find. And the shoes will not last a few months before you'll want to buy new shoes.

You dont need a CDL to drive a truck. Despite it being a comercial motor vehicle being driven, and despite that you are driving said vehicle near expensive aircraft you do not need a CDL.

Free Lunches, if you are fortunate enough to be in the building when lunch is served. I am a driver and rarely get to be in the building when they serve lunch though. They do offer bread, white and wheat, non sweetened cereals, ripe beaten apples and banannas, coffee, and tea. If you want you can call that a lunch but you can only eat bread, or a ripe apple/bananna for so many days before you realize that isnt a lunch. And even if you are in the building when lunch is served you wont care for it much. The food they serve the employees is disgusting. No nutritional facts about they serve, none of it looks like what it's supposed to be, and it's usually something that looks like left overs. On the SCARCE occasions they serve something halfway decent they always run out of food before everyone gets a chance to eat. Two half chicken wings = one whole chicken wing = That's barely a snack not a lunch.

ConsNo raises. A driver starting in 1994 made 12 dollars an hour to start, fast foward to 2013 and the drivers make the exact same amount of money to start. 1994 drivers had a higher salary cap compared to a 2013 driver though, and the 2013 driver has less benefits.

You better be there on time, but dont count on going home on time. They mandatory you to stay overtime almost daily.

Saftey is a joke. They push saftey reminder papers in your face everyday but when you fill out a pretrip nothing is done to repair defects in trucks. If they really cared about safety wouldnt they have truck drivers with CDLs?

In Chicago we have a union. We pay Union dues, we pay towards a strike fund, oh but we cant ever go on strike.

Every year near your birthday expect to take a day out of your time to go renew your ID which allows you to work at Gate Gourmet. That's a day of your time, you will not be paid for it.

Every day when you go to work expect your car to be searched. You will be finger printed a number of times through out the day, they really make you feel like a criminal.

Management looks down on hourly employees. When one manager comes down on you just bare it, going to another manager for help will only make things worse.

Count on NEVER having a holiday off, unless you're been there 30 years. No Weekends off, and only sick days off per year. Cause every knows when you're working in extreme cold you'll only get sick twice or less.

You will not qualify for any kind of benefit until you've been at the company for a year. So no holiday pay, no sick days, no medical, no uniform given to you, nothing until after a year. And then they wonder why new employees call off on holidays.

Medical insurance is an absolute joke. Insurance for yourself plus wife will cost around 150 dollars per week. More if you have kids. So if you work interior that's more than half your weekly paycheck going towards insurance.

Recently Union Dues went up despite the union not getting anykind of raise for employees. I dont understand how the union feels they deserve a raise when they can not get a raise for the employees they represent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat human beings like human beings.

Keep Searching

Manager (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsThere are some talented people in the company. Unfortunately, their skills are not valued which leads to CYA behavior.

ConsDisorganization and unethical behavior is common. Google the company history you will find a lot of funds mismanagement and theft. Essentially, the main product are sandwiches to airlines. I wouldn’t count on gate gourmet being a long-term career. Once airlines cut their in-flight food service there’s really no other line of business. They make claims to their amenity items but that could be purchased directly from manufacturers. Despite some talented employees you will find others that are clueless. Many of these individuals have been with company so long they are pushed up in the ranks. This creates challenges as some are compelled to create tension and finger point in order to remain in their role. Turn over is high and for good reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementEthical behavior MUST be enforced at all levels of the organization. I would give this company wish years before it totally dissolves.

Worked for Gate Gourmet? Contribute to the Community!