Gate Gourmet

Updated Feb 25, 2014

Gate Gourmet CEO Andrew Gibson

Andrew Gibson

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Varied work, good growth opportunities, great people

Director (Current Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsLots of opportunities to contribute to the company and to learn a lot about many different things. Employees are a great group of people. In most departments, if you are willing to work and want to learn, there are lots of advancement opportunities.

ConsVery difficult industry with tough profit margins. Lots of moving parts and sometimes very hard to see the big picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementAny time you walk around the office informally and just talk to people, it makes a positive impact.

Airline Industry Challenges

Global Sourcing (Former Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsHmm good question-gain a great understanding of the complexity of the airline catering industry.

ConsThere many challenges in this industry, within Gate Gourmet its clearly a race to the bottom in terms of cost, make no mistake about it, there business is not about serving the customers, its about serving the share holders at the expense of the customers and associates. Each group and department operates in a silo or vacuum, nobody knows what other groups are doing and there was constant political "positioning" battles, zero sharing of resources, knowledge and the result was duplication of efforts. One of the more bizarre being once capital was approved for a project or capital equipment, it required another approval to actually spend and yet another approval to issue a purchase order $200 or $2M did not matter. CFO had to personally approve and sign every capital purchase order-this after the capital had already been approved using "the approval matrix" another unique and bizarre process so complex most don't understand it or even believe it exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your office and engage the staff, non stop meetings behind closed doors does not build trust or teams. In three plus years I saw zero team work or collaboration among departments or counterparts in other countries. The Main drive should be to serve the customer by adding and creating value. All we heard was cost reduction and yet the effort was so extreme the focus was like picking up pennies when the $100 flew over head un-noticed.

Fast Pace work environment

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGreat 1st job to gain experience

ConsNo room for growth. Some employees are unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can you handle it? Not many people can.

Director (Current Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsThis is a company of doers. Driven people and determination to succeed. Your day will never be boring. You will realize quickly that 90% of people cannot handle multitasking, meeting deadlines and thinking outside of the box. Any level position is designed to be a "stretch" position because that's the only way you will realize your potential. 10% of society can handle the workload. 90% are lazy and think their job is just a pay check. This job and company are designed to push you beyond your limits. Come here to kick start your career and stand out amongst other candidates.

ConsYou will realize who can't handle the business quickly. They usually quit within 18 months. Stay away from these lazy people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Happy about everything here, except my salary. I know I was not alone

ASG Employee (Former Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsI was at ASG, and had the best experience. My Sr. Manager was one of the sweetest, and hard-working ones out there, and so I was lucky. I'm aware not every division was smooth, but my diligence and smarts were recognized here, and we had the flexibility and freedom when it came to our schedules. The nature of the job was demanding, and you had to be sharp, but I liked the challenge, and I worked with a dedicated team.

ConsEvery employee will agree with me when I say this - The only thing I was unhappy about, was my salary. In the Northern Virginia area, no one can afford to aspire to a decent living with that salary. This is the only reason I had to quit, and I had never felt bad about doing something like that.

Advice to Senior ManagementBy now, the Management folks know this well. They are continuously losing good, talented employees simply because everyone loses their motivation pretty soon. They'll start seeing the results as soon as they fix their salary structure

Great senior management

ASG Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back environment at GG

ConsI have none to share

Keep Searching

Manager (Former Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsThere are some talented people in the company. Unfortunately, their skills are not valued which leads to CYA behavior.

ConsDisorganization and unethical behavior is common. Google the company history you will find a lot of funds mismanagement and theft. Essentially, the main product are sandwiches to airlines. I wouldn’t count on gate gourmet being a long-term career. Once airlines cut their in-flight food service there’s really no other line of business. They make claims to their amenity items but that could be purchased directly from manufacturers. Despite some talented employees you will find others that are clueless. Many of these individuals have been with company so long they are pushed up in the ranks. This creates challenges as some are compelled to create tension and finger point in order to remain in their role. Turn over is high and for good reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementEthical behavior MUST be enforced at all levels of the organization. I would give this company wish years before it totally dissolves.

Very Happy at Gate Gourmet

Human Resources Department (Current Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsGate Gourmet offers the opportunity to learn and get exposure to new areas for career growth and resume building. My manager does a great job of recognizing her employees for a job well done. This is a large, global company so it is fascinating to see how our business operates in other cities. I am highly satisfied with the organization and find my position here to be extremely fulfilling.

ConsWhile the decor is aesthetically pleasing and modern, the open office environment can be difficult at times because of noise volume. Only director levels/VP have offices. Benefits are also on the pricier side.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider reviewing the benefit plans for 2014 to find less costly options.

Awful employee development practices

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsI worked for GG for fifteen years, from the transition of Dobbs International to the Swissair-owned Gate Gourmet, then the Texas Pacific Group era and more recently the current Zurich/Reston-based organization. The company culture dramatically changed throughout all these periods, due not only to survival necessity but also several decisions made by its CEOs (e.g. relocation from Memphis to Reston which cost in the process the jobs of many dedicated long-term employees). I will go over the negative aspects of this evolution on the section below; the main positive points lie in the fact that many old-time managers are still managing GG units, and do their best to meet their financial goals without the brutality now personified by the executives and its HR dept. It is also a company easy to get in (corporate office jobs don’t pay well while the cost of living in Reston is one of the highest in the country), so for a recent grad it can be seen as an option to work there a couple of years to build job experience then move on to a company with better growth opportunities.

ConsAnybody who earned raises through promotions and relocations throughout his/her career at Gate Gourmet at some point becomes a target because they are only looked at in terms of salary, not their past and potential future contributions. I personally got many outstanding reviews over the years, can honestly say I made a positive difference in any job I have held (I met and worked with most of the executives and unit General managers over the years, and consistently earned everybody’s respect- yet I got brutally and quite viciously terminated, with absolutely no explanation, no “thank you” for my many years of service, just a lame excuse of job elimination. At the same time other positions for which I would have qualified were not presented to me, and I was treated by HR in a way I wouldn’t wish my worst enemy to be treated. And this type of treatment has now become the standard at Gate Gourmet.

Turnover is very high, because nobody looks at their career at GG as long term anymore (if you are adventurous enough to look at this company long term, you expose yourself to the quasi-certainty of being terminated down the road because you now earn more than a recent grad). When the corporate office relocated from Memphis to Reston about ten years ago, only a handful employees relocated, and staff got fully rotated several times since the move. There is an absolute disconnect between the field, where many old-timer are still employed at all levels, and the corporate office where there is little understanding for what is done at the units, and where the vast majority of the employees don’t work more than a couple of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee development, reverse course on the brutality of its HR department practices, develop better tools to assess airline customer profitability on specific contracts. Through the nineties, Gate Gourmet (formerly Dobbs in the US) was a preferred employer, and many of its employees at all levels were looking forward to dedicating their careers to its success. Today, it is at best a reluctant option for a two-year stint before you land a real job.

Great People, Great Business

ProsGreat People, Great Business, Solid Values, Great 401K match

ConsBenefits are expensive and company doesn't provide short term or long term disability coverage [you have the option to elect it], no work/life balance, no tuition reimbursement, raises/merits are a hit and miss, no bonus payout.

Worked for Gate Gourmet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gate Gourmet reviews and ratings in Reston, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gate Gourmet CEO Andrew Gibson. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Gate Gourmet employees.