Gate Gourmet Reviews

• Reston, VA
3.7
Gate Gourmet CEO Andrew Gibson
Andrew Gibson

1. A Merit Based Company at its Best! If you've got what it takes, YOU will succeed here.

Current Employee - Mid-Level Management in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Management in Reston, VA

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a real-time business. The airline industry as a whole is all based in real-time, decisions you make in a meeting today will be rolled out in the units across the country overnight.
    This pace brings out people's true colors, if you have the skills, knowledge and competency to get the job done, you will get promoted before you get a raise. Its just that kind of industry.
    You will get 18 months worth of experience in 6 months' time. You will also get 18 months worth of wins/losses, which is why people get promoted quickly or wash out quickly.
    This place is not for the faint of heart, its for the champions.

Cons

Supporting a 24-hour operation at airports means you might have to come to work on days where schools are out for snow.
    Medical benefits are competitive, but the focus here is on pay and opportunity. If you want great benefits at you might want to go work for a government and sacrifice career growth and your paycheck.

Advice to Management

This is a difficult industry, but you guys make it fun. Lets have more office events, sports related and off site.

Fast paced results driven culture, GREAT co-workers

Former Employee - Director in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet

Pros

- surrounded by smart fun people
    - high sense of urgency type culture. not for the lazy.
    - lots of growth oppty
    - able to create your own destiny
    - collaborative teams within Reston
    - global exposure

Cons

- operational leaders need new thoughts and ideas

Advice to Management

Recognize and embrace the change that so many are creating

3. Pros and Cons

Former Employee - FP&A Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - FP&A Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not too much company politics. People in general work hard and are down-to-earth. Company is in a convenient location

Cons

You are in mature industry (some say declining) and room for growth is really limited. The systems of the company do not support the complexity of the business and being an FP&A person that can be painful

5. ASG in Reston, VA-Great starting location, just out of college

Former Employee - Billing Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Billing Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Account services group specific- casual work environment: jeans, flip flops, across the room talking, nice employees, laptop, some employees get cell phones.

Cons

Account services group specific- OFFICE HOURS - 9-6 with or without lunch. There has been a lay off every year for 3 years. No raises, no promotions. No bonuses. Low pay offered 40-60k, so negotiate at beginning. No telecommuting (under certain directors). No flexible hours (under certain directors). No privacy in work spaces. (All office have floor to ceiling glass, all cubes are low and open)

Advice to Management

Stop walking around to look at each employee's desktops, it causes a feeling of contempt from employee to upper management. To compete with companies in the area- increase pay by 15-20%, allow telecommuting, allow flexible hours, we aren't paid hourly and shouldn't be treated as if we are, offer an annual bonus, offer per diem when traveling.

Airline Industry Challenges

Former Employee - Global Sourcing in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Global Sourcing in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hmm good question-gain a great understanding of the complexity of the airline catering industry.

Cons

There many challenges in this industry, within Gate Gourmet its clearly a race to the bottom in terms of cost, make no mistake about it, there business is not about serving the customers, its about serving the share holders at the expense of the customers and associates. Each group and department operates in a silo or vacuum, nobody knows what other groups are doing and there was constant political "positioning" battles, zero sharing of resources, knowledge and the result was duplication of efforts. One of the more bizarre being once capital was approved for a project or capital equipment, it required another approval to actually spend and yet another approval to issue a purchase order $200 or $2M did not matter. CFO had to personally approve and sign every capital purchase order-this after the capital had already been approved using "the approval matrix" another unique and bizarre process so complex most don't understand it or even believe it exist.

Advice to Management

Get out of your office and engage the staff, non stop meetings behind closed doors does not build trust or teams. In three plus years I saw zero team work or collaboration among departments or counterparts in other countries. The Main drive should be to serve the customer by adding and creating value. All we heard was cost reduction and yet the effort was so extreme the focus was like picking up pennies when the $100 flew over head un-noticed.

7. Varied work, good growth opportunities, great people

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to contribute to the company and to learn a lot about many different things. Employees are a great group of people. In most departments, if you are willing to work and want to learn, there are lots of advancement opportunities.

Cons

Very difficult industry with tough profit margins. Lots of moving parts and sometimes very hard to see the big picture.

Advice to Management

Any time you walk around the office informally and just talk to people, it makes a positive impact.

8. Fast Pace work environment

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great 1st job to gain experience

Cons

No room for growth. Some employees are unprofessional.

Advice to Management

NA

9. Can you handle it? Not many people can.

Current Employee - Director in Reston, VA

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a company of doers. Driven people and determination to succeed. Your day will never be boring. You will realize quickly that 90% of people cannot handle multitasking, meeting deadlines and thinking outside of the box. Any level position is designed to be a "stretch" position because that's the only way you will realize your potential. 10% of society can handle the workload. 90% are lazy and think their job is just a pay check. This job and company are designed to push you beyond your limits. Come here to kick start your career and stand out amongst other candidates.

Cons

You will realize who can't handle the business quickly. They usually quit within 18 months. Stay away from these lazy people.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Happy about everything here, except my salary. I know I was not alone

Former Employee - ASG Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - ASG Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was at ASG, and had the best experience. My Sr. Manager was one of the sweetest, and hard-working ones out there, and so I was lucky. I'm aware not every division was smooth, but my diligence and smarts were recognized here, and we had the flexibility and freedom when it came to our schedules. The nature of the job was demanding, and you had to be sharp, but I liked the challenge, and I worked with a dedicated team.

Cons

Every employee will agree with me when I say this - The only thing I was unhappy about, was my salary. In the Northern Virginia area, no one can afford to aspire to a decent living with that salary. This is the only reason I had to quit, and I had never felt bad about doing something like that.

Advice to Management

By now, the Management folks know this well. They are continuously losing good, talented employees simply because everyone loses their motivation pretty soon. They'll start seeing the results as soon as they fix their salary structure

11. Great senior management

Former Employee - ASG Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - ASG Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment at GG

Cons

I have none to share