Gate Gourmet

Updated October 14, 2014
2.5

Gate Gourmet CEO Andrew Gibson
Andrew Gibson

Pros
  • Fast paced enviroment keeps the job challenging and interesting (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of great people working extremely hard to make the changes needed to grow the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Redundancy and long hours in every dept due to disorganization (in 11 reviews)

• High workload with little work / life balance available (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Varied work, good growth opportunities, great people

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to contribute to the company and to learn a lot about many different things. Employees are a great group of people. In most departments, if you are willing to work and want to learn, there are lots of advancement opportunities.

Cons

Very difficult industry with tough profit margins. Lots of moving parts and sometimes very hard to see the big picture.

Any time you walk around the office informally and just talk to people, it makes a positive impact.

ASG in Reston, VA-Great starting location, just out of college

Former Employee - Billing Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Billing Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Account services group specific- casual work environment: jeans, flip flops, across the room talking, nice employees, laptop, some employees get cell phones.

Cons

Account services group specific- OFFICE HOURS - 9-6 with or without lunch. There has been a lay off every year for 3 years. No raises, no promotions. No bonuses. Low pay offered 40-60k, so negotiate at beginning. No telecommuting (under certain directors). No flexible hours (under certain directors). No privacy in work spaces. (All office have floor to ceiling glass, all cubes are low and open)

Stop walking around to look at each employee's desktops, it causes a feeling of contempt from employee to upper management. To compete with companies in the area- increase pay by 15-20%, allow telecommuting, allow flexible hours, we aren't paid hourly and shouldn't be treated as if we are, offer an annual bonus, offer per diem when traveling.

Airline Industry Challenges

Former Employee - Global Sourcing in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Global Sourcing in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hmm good question-gain a great understanding of the complexity of the airline catering industry.

Cons

There many challenges in this industry, within Gate Gourmet its clearly a race to the bottom in terms of cost, make no mistake about it, there business is not about serving the customers, its about serving the share holders at the expense of the customers and associates. Each group and department operates in a silo or vacuum, nobody knows what other groups are doing and there was constant political "positioning" battles, zero sharing of resources, knowledge and the result was duplication of efforts. One of the more bizarre being once capital was approved for a project or capital equipment, it required another approval to actually spend and yet another approval to issue a purchase order $200 or $2M did not matter. CFO had to personally approve and sign every capital purchase order-this after the capital had already been approved using "the approval matrix" another unique and bizarre process so complex most don't understand it or even believe it exist.

Get out of your office and engage the staff, non stop meetings behind closed doors does not build trust or teams. In three plus years I saw zero team work or collaboration among departments or counterparts in other countries. The Main drive should be to serve the customer by adding and creating value. All we heard was cost reduction and yet the effort was so extreme the focus was like picking up pennies when the $100 flew over head un-noticed.

Fast Pace work environment

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great 1st job to gain experience

Cons

No room for growth. Some employees are unprofessional.

NA

Happy about everything here, except my salary. I know I was not alone

Former Employee - ASG Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - ASG Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was at ASG, and had the best experience. My Sr. Manager was one of the sweetest, and hard-working ones out there, and so I was lucky. I'm aware not every division was smooth, but my diligence and smarts were recognized here, and we had the flexibility and freedom when it came to our schedules. The nature of the job was demanding, and you had to be sharp, but I liked the challenge, and I worked with a dedicated team.

Cons

Every employee will agree with me when I say this - The only thing I was unhappy about, was my salary. In the Northern Virginia area, no one can afford to aspire to a decent living with that salary. This is the only reason I had to quit, and I had never felt bad about doing something like that.

By now, the Management folks know this well. They are continuously losing good, talented employees simply because everyone loses their motivation pretty soon. They'll start seeing the results as soon as they fix their salary structure

Can you handle it? Not many people can.

Current Employee - Director in Reston, VA

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a company of doers. Driven people and determination to succeed. Your day will never be boring. You will realize quickly that 90% of people cannot handle multitasking, meeting deadlines and thinking outside of the box. Any level position is designed to be a "stretch" position because that's the only way you will realize your potential. 10% of society can handle the workload. 90% are lazy and think their job is just a pay check. This job and company are designed to push you beyond your limits. Come here to kick start your career and stand out amongst other candidates.

Cons

You will realize who can't handle the business quickly. They usually quit within 18 months. Stay away from these lazy people.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Great senior management

Former Employee - ASG Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - ASG Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back environment at GG

Cons

I have none to share

Keep Searching

Former Employee - Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are some talented people in the company. Unfortunately, their skills are not valued which leads to CYA behavior.

Cons

Disorganization and unethical behavior is common. Google the company history you will find a lot of funds mismanagement and theft. Essentially, the main product are sandwiches to airlines. I wouldn’t count on gate gourmet being a long-term career. Once airlines cut their in-flight food service there’s really no other line of business. They make claims to their amenity items but that could be purchased directly from manufacturers. Despite some talented employees you will find others that are clueless. Many of these individuals have been with company so long they are pushed up in the ranks. This creates challenges as some are compelled to create tension and finger point in order to remain in their role. Turn over is high and for good reason.

Ethical behavior MUST be enforced at all levels of the organization. I would give this company wish years before it totally dissolves.

Very Happy at Gate Gourmet

Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Reston, VA

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gate Gourmet offers the opportunity to learn and get exposure to new areas for career growth and resume building. My manager does a great job of recognizing her employees for a job well done. This is a large, global company so it is fascinating to see how our business operates in other cities. I am highly satisfied with the organization and find my position here to be extremely fulfilling.

Cons

While the decor is aesthetically pleasing and modern, the open office environment can be difficult at times because of noise volume. Only director levels/VP have offices. Benefits are also on the pricier side.

Consider reviewing the benefit plans for 2014 to find less costly options.

Awful employee development practices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for GG for fifteen years, from the transition of Dobbs International to the Swissair-owned Gate Gourmet, then the Texas Pacific Group era and more recently the current Zurich/Reston-based organization. The company culture dramatically changed throughout all these periods, due not only to survival necessity but also several decisions made by its CEOs (e.g. relocation from Memphis to Reston which cost in the process the jobs of many dedicated long-term employees). I will go over the negative aspects of this evolution on the section below; the main positive points lie in the fact that many old-time managers are still managing GG units, and do their best to meet their financial goals without the brutality now personified by the executives and its HR dept. It is also a company easy to get in (corporate office jobs don’t pay well while the cost of living in Reston is one of the highest in the country), so for a recent grad it can be seen as an option to work there a couple of years to build job experience then move on to a company with better growth opportunities.

Cons

Anybody who earned raises through promotions and relocations throughout his/her career at Gate Gourmet at some point becomes a target because they are only looked at in terms of salary, not their past and potential future contributions. I personally got many outstanding reviews over the years, can honestly say I made a positive difference in any job I have held (I met and worked with most of the executives and unit General managers over the years, and consistently earned everybody’s respect- yet I got brutally and quite viciously terminated, with absolutely no explanation, no “thank you” for my many years of service, just a lame excuse of job elimination. At the same time other positions for which I would have qualified were not presented to me, and I was treated by HR in a way I wouldn’t wish my worst enemy to be treated. And this type of treatment has now become the standard at Gate Gourmet.

Turnover is very high, because nobody looks at their career at GG as long term anymore (if you are adventurous enough to look at this company long term, you expose yourself to the quasi-certainty of being terminated down the road because you now earn more than a recent grad). When the corporate office relocated from Memphis to Reston about ten years ago, only a handful employees relocated, and staff got fully rotated several times since the move. There is an absolute disconnect between the field, where many old-timer are still employed at all levels, and the corporate office where there is little understanding for what is done at the units, and where the vast majority of the employees don’t work more than a couple of years.

Focus on employee development, reverse course on the brutality of its HR department practices, develop better tools to assess airline customer profitability on specific contracts. Through the nineties, Gate Gourmet (formerly Dobbs in the US) was a preferred employer, and many of its employees at all levels were looking forward to dedicating their careers to its success. Today, it is at best a reluctant option for a two-year stint before you land a real job.

Gate Gourmet Photos