Gate Gourmet

Gate Gourmet Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Gate Gourmet CEO Andrew Gibson

Andrew Gibson

Pros:
  • "Fast Paced workplace, work is never finished, always busy and time goes by very fast"
    in 8 reviews
  • "you got lunch at a discount,and you meet lots of good people from around the globe"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Redundancy and long hours in every dept due to disorganization"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Lack of charisma of senior management"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very challenging position

I worked at Gate Gourmet

Proslots of areas to move from dept. to dept. but little advancement.

Conslots of hours and little personal time

SAP Coordinator in Chicago O'hare

SAP Inventory Clerk (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay, full time, benefits of a full time job like vacation. possibility of overtime.

ConsSeemed like a secure job and the skills i learned were pretty good, but I only lasted there like a month before it became too stressful because people were quitting left and right. I guess some or a lot of the current employees were not happy. The company seems to be trying to reduce their labor and see how much they can get out of them. Overall not a very happy place to work at. Health care coverage too expensive, you are better off getting your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people.

Not a good place for Drivers

Customer Service Representative/Driver (Former Employee)

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAs a driver you get to drive at an airport and see all types of aircraft.

You meet a wide range of people.

You add Airport experience to your resume.

ConsWhere do I start?

It is cheaper to pay the fines for not having health insurance than it is to pay the health insurance offered by Gate Gourmet. The "benefits" offered by the company are laughable.

As a driver for Gate Gourmet, in Chicago, you will never make more than 15 dollars an hour.

Gate Gourmet hires people who know nothing about the operation to be supervisors.

There are no incentives for employees to do a good job and or be quick to do their job. The slower lazy/dumber people end up getting rewarded in a way. Basically, as a driver, if you hurry to do your work you will be rewarded with extra assignments. Where as if you take your time and be slow you will be rewarded by having an assignment taken away.

There are so many things wrong with this company.

They are total hypocrites, they push safety like there is no tomorrow. Yet nothing is done to make the workplace safer. Trucks are very rundown. I personally wrote up truck problems on my pre trip sheets and never saw the issues repaired. I had a truck catch on fire while I was in the air catering. It was very dangerous and scary and when I told my supervisor I was concerned for my safety I was talked down to. I was talked down to often for refusing to drive unsafe trucks.

Extreme working condition. In the summer you deal with the heat plus the high heat of jets. Then in the winter you deal with cold and ice. They do not salt or deice the ramp area around the aircraft so it is extremely slippery. I personally slipped and ended up hurting my knee and ankle and was unable to return to work. When I was hurt on the job I was told to drive myself to the clinic to seek medical attention, this led to my leaving the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are not your enemy stop treating the employees as if they were your enemy or a second class citizen.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough place to work, but there are some good opportunities.

Atlanta, GA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEnjoyed working in the food business and the travel. There are a number of dedicated folks in the units.

ConsToo much focus on cost was affecting service levels and costing us business. Too many chiefs in HQ and not always enough front-line people servicing the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementGG was always a little more expensive than competitors, but we provided great service. Now , we are still expensive, but service has gone down. Spend a little more to get the right folks servicing the customer.

Airline Industry Challenges

Global Sourcing (Former Employee)
Reston, VA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHmm good question-gain a great understanding of the complexity of the airline catering industry.

ConsThere many challenges in this industry, within Gate Gourmet its clearly a race to the bottom in terms of cost, make no mistake about it, there business is not about serving the customers, its about serving the share holders at the expense of the customers and associates. Each group and department operates in a silo or vacuum, nobody knows what other groups are doing and there was constant political "positioning" battles, zero sharing of resources, knowledge and the result was duplication of efforts. One of the more bizarre being once capital was approved for a project or capital equipment, it required another approval to actually spend and yet another approval to issue a purchase order $200 or $2M did not matter. CFO had to personally approve and sign every capital purchase order-this after the capital had already been approved using "the approval matrix" another unique and bizarre process so complex most don't understand it or even believe it exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your office and engage the staff, non stop meetings behind closed doors does not build trust or teams. In three plus years I saw zero team work or collaboration among departments or counterparts in other countries. The Main drive should be to serve the customer by adding and creating value. All we heard was cost reduction and yet the effort was so extreme the focus was like picking up pennies when the $100 flew over head un-noticed.

Varied work, good growth opportunities, great people

Director (Current Employee)
Reston, VA

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time

ProsLots of opportunities to contribute to the company and to learn a lot about many different things. Employees are a great group of people. In most departments, if you are willing to work and want to learn, there are lots of advancement opportunities.

ConsVery difficult industry with tough profit margins. Lots of moving parts and sometimes very hard to see the big picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementAny time you walk around the office informally and just talk to people, it makes a positive impact.

Okay

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent pay for certain positions, very easy work

ConsManagement is ineffective, many of the young workers had a high school mentality, and displayed no professionalism. Individuals with higher seniority take all of the overtime, no flexibility in schedules, and minimal room for growth. The starting pay is laughable for laborers and some management positions as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent in making workers follow rules, especially when it comes to workplace professionalism.

No heart

Utility Worker (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are no pros here, not a great place to work.

ConsThere are a hell of lot of CONS!!! They don't want u to grow or achieve
to be more in the company. All about self.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to kn your works. Just as u show customer care all so
show employee care, meaning if your employees are happy
there job performance will show it.

Management not always as forthcoming as they lead you to believe

I worked at Gate Gourmet full-time

ProsJob was in a good location

ConsLack of honest among management

Good Place to Work

I have been working at Gate Gourmet full-time for more than a year

ProsFair treatment of employees, accepts suggestions from the workers to improve

Consoptions for healthcare plans is BAD and expensive

Advice to Senior ManagementFix some salaries and provide better options for healthcare plans

Worked for Gate Gourmet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gate Gourmet reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gate Gourmet CEO Andrew Gibson. All 107 reviews posted anonymously by Gate Gourmet employees.