Gate Gourmet

Gate Gourmet Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Gate Gourmet CEO Andrew Gibson

Andrew Gibson

Pros
  • Fast Paced workplace, work is never finished, always busy and time goes by very fast (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of great people working extremely hard to make the changes needed to grow the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Redundancy and long hours in every dept due to disorganization (in 10 reviews)

• High workload with little work / life balance available (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Very challenging position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslots of areas to move from dept. to dept. but little advancement.

Conslots of hours and little personal time

A culture poised for failure

Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOvertures made to improving processes and using data intelligently. There are some managers who genuinely believe new approaches and ideas are valued and work to design and implement them. These employees are good mentors and team members.

ConsUnfortunately, those who constitute the pros above are few and the executive management discards their proactive advice as insubordination. I was surprised to find such limited corporate vision and adherence to an outmoded hierarchy with such pervasive secrecy and paranoia. Yes, this is a complex business, with tight margins and deadlines. All the more reason to foster and support effective teamwork instead of applying "The Mushroom Principle", (keep them in the dark and feed them fecal matter).

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house from the top and replace the country club mentality with smart strategists who have proven organizational change management skills. Build a well-managed business-unit model and scale it for consistency. Above all, identify, develop and reward your current talent at all levels.

Not a good place for Drivers

Customer Service Representative/Driver (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAs a driver you get to drive at an airport and see all types of aircraft.

You meet a wide range of people.

You add Airport experience to your resume.

ConsWhere do I start?

It is cheaper to pay the fines for not having health insurance than it is to pay the health insurance offered by Gate Gourmet. The "benefits" offered by the company are laughable.

As a driver for Gate Gourmet, in Chicago, you will never make more than 15 dollars an hour.

Gate Gourmet hires people who know nothing about the operation to be supervisors.

There are no incentives for employees to do a good job and or be quick to do their job. The slower lazy/dumber people end up getting rewarded in a way. Basically, as a driver, if you hurry to do your work you will be rewarded with extra assignments. Where as if you take your time and be slow you will be rewarded by having an assignment taken away.

There are so many things wrong with this company.

They are total hypocrites, they push safety like there is no tomorrow. Yet nothing is done to make the workplace safer. Trucks are very rundown. I personally wrote up truck problems on my pre trip sheets and never saw the issues repaired. I had a truck catch on fire while I was in the air catering. It was very dangerous and scary and when I told my supervisor I was concerned for my safety I was talked down to. I was talked down to often for refusing to drive unsafe trucks.

Extreme working condition. In the summer you deal with the heat plus the high heat of jets. Then in the winter you deal with cold and ice. They do not salt or deice the ramp area around the aircraft so it is extremely slippery. I personally slipped and ended up hurting my knee and ankle and was unable to return to work. When I was hurt on the job I was told to drive myself to the clinic to seek medical attention, this led to my leaving the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are not your enemy stop treating the employees as if they were your enemy or a second class citizen.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough place to work, but there are some good opportunities.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsEnjoyed working in the food business and the travel. There are a number of dedicated folks in the units.

ConsToo much focus on cost was affecting service levels and costing us business. Too many chiefs in HQ and not always enough front-line people servicing the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementGG was always a little more expensive than competitors, but we provided great service. Now , we are still expensive, but service has gone down. Spend a little more to get the right folks servicing the customer.

Varied work, good growth opportunities, great people

Director (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsLots of opportunities to contribute to the company and to learn a lot about many different things. Employees are a great group of people. In most departments, if you are willing to work and want to learn, there are lots of advancement opportunities.

ConsVery difficult industry with tough profit margins. Lots of moving parts and sometimes very hard to see the big picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementAny time you walk around the office informally and just talk to people, it makes a positive impact.

No heart

Utility Worker (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThere are no pros here, not a great place to work.

ConsThere are a hell of lot of CONS!!! They don't want u to grow or achieve
    to be more in the company. All about self.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to kn your works. Just as u show customer care all so
    show employee care, meaning if your employees are happy
    there job performance will show it.

Airline Industry Challenges

Global Sourcing (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsHmm good question-gain a great understanding of the complexity of the airline catering industry.

ConsThere many challenges in this industry, within Gate Gourmet its clearly a race to the bottom in terms of cost, make no mistake about it, there business is not about serving the customers, its about serving the share holders at the expense of the customers and associates. Each group and department operates in a silo or vacuum, nobody knows what other groups are doing and there was constant political "positioning" battles, zero sharing of resources, knowledge and the result was duplication of efforts. One of the more bizarre being once capital was approved for a project or capital equipment, it required another approval to actually spend and yet another approval to issue a purchase order $200 or $2M did not matter. CFO had to personally approve and sign every capital purchase order-this after the capital had already been approved using "the approval matrix" another unique and bizarre process so complex most don't understand it or even believe it exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your office and engage the staff, non stop meetings behind closed doors does not build trust or teams. In three plus years I saw zero team work or collaboration among departments or counterparts in other countries. The Main drive should be to serve the customer by adding and creating value. All we heard was cost reduction and yet the effort was so extreme the focus was like picking up pennies when the $100 flew over head un-noticed.

Okay

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDecent pay for certain positions, very easy work

ConsManagement is ineffective, many of the young workers had a high school mentality, and displayed no professionalism. Individuals with higher seniority take all of the overtime, no flexibility in schedules, and minimal room for growth. The starting pay is laughable for laborers and some management positions as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent in making workers follow rules, especially when it comes to workplace professionalism.

Management not always as forthcoming as they lead you to believe

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJob was in a good location

ConsLack of honest among management

Good Place to Work

ProsFair treatment of employees, accepts suggestions from the workers to improve

Consoptions for healthcare plans is BAD and expensive

Advice to Senior ManagementFix some salaries and provide better options for healthcare plans

Worked for Gate Gourmet? Contribute to the Community!