GateHouse Media

Updated December 12, 2014
2.0

GateHouse Media CEO Kirk Davis
Kirk Davis

Pros
  • Great people and management but there was no growth (in 8 reviews)

• Relatively flexible hours, decent benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It appears upper management is controlled by accounting majors (in 16 reviews)

• Incubator newsroom" is GH corporate lingo for "Sh*t pay, no raises (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work in sales with a base salary plus commission.

Former Employee - Multi-Media Advertising Account Executives
    Former Employee - Multi-Media Advertising Account Executives

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing! You're allowed the freedom needed to get your job done; meaning you're not micro-managed, at least when it comes to the direct person you are reporting to.

Cons

Leadership and training is lacking. People are thrown into positions without proper training.

Detached management system.

Current Employee - Multi Media Sales Representative in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Multi Media Sales Representative in Providence, RI

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My long standing customers have trust and believe I am selling products that are in their best interest.

Cons

Since the acquisition by GateHouse Media in Sept 2014. Every employee lives in fear of being fired or downsized. This company has no loyalty to the customers, it's readers or the product. Management has a corporate plan and it is implemented no matter what. Work is being outsourced to sub contractors causing loss of jobs.

The very nature of small business is customer satisfaction and the promotion of growth. The company needs to look at the source of the revenue and the need of the customers not the agenda of the management.

Great work environment, very poor management

Current Employee - Multi-Media Advertising Account Executives in Arkadelphia, AR

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work environment, co-workers, benefits, flexible schedule, puts family first.
    Most of the advertising in this location is long-standing, so you always have a base of good clients to work with. This area isn't growing much, be the paper always comes up with opportunities to advertise in new and unique ways.

Cons

Management, salary, no opportunity for advancement.
    The management of our branch, our region, and the company in general is very poor. They contracted with a terrible digital media company to try and move advertising online. However, in small, rural towns, it's next to impossible to get people to spend money in digital advertisements when the community doesn't use the web all that much. Propel is overpriced and underperforming.

Consider who you put in management positions, and don't just hire the first person that applies. Our location covers the ads and billing for multiple properties, and everyone is overworked and underpaid.

Constant high pressure from ALL managers!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Rockford, IL

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for the local newspaper.

Cons

They want just pretty young ladies for sales.

Ease up on the non stop pressure!

The worst, most unprofessional issues I have ever experienced in any company, large or small.

Current Employee - Marketing and Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Marketing and Sales Consultant

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gaining experience and training in the Marketing field.

Cons

Poor management, poor pay, low morale, improper marketing strategies, no training and no internal marketing for Propel Marketing (new development of Gatehouse Media.)

Figure your stuff out. Figure it out.

A life long experience.

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoy my customers and co-workers in a Team environment along with management understanding.

Cons

No advancement or increase in pay after 10 years.

A post-bankrupt, disorganized, inefficient and chaotic mess lacking any talent or drive to push onward and upward.

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Medford, OR

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As should be in any outside sales role, you have a high degree of autonomy in how you go about your days. You're free to take lunch as long as you want, apparently run personal errands, negotiate an extremely complex, but wide range of options for your clients and get reimbursed for your travel and phone expenses. You're responsible for knowing exactly what you're bringing in terms of revenue, which provides transparent gratification. There are plenty of meetings that take place to play catch up, discuss team and individual goals, plan and execute accordingly. Office supplies are readily available, in addition to plenty of meeting rooms to conduct business internally or externally.

Cons

There is no leadership, save from the occasional "downstairs visit" from the publisher himself. Managers are not fit for their roles here in the least. They seldom know what they're talking about, favor nepotism and grandfathering over results and depend on a cubical-cramped floor of whining, inefficient, socially-obsessive and unproductive sales reps and "team" coordinators to manage each other. If you're not the fifth sales representative to have been assigned to this extremely small territory lately, you must be the sixth. You can work until all hours of the night, on weekends, push yourself to your absolute extreme and none of it will mean anything. Eventually, if not quickly, you will arrive at the conclusion that, enough is enough.

Do your job. Let others do their job and where they are, in effect, not and attempting to make others do their job for them, give them the option of either doing nothing but their job, or dislocation. Mind your own business and maybe help others mind their own business, in every applicable form as it pertains to your job and theirs, in addition to every social form as it pertains to your life and their lives. Get some education. The rest of us have, and yet, we're somehow "beneath" you and are expected to forget a return on such investment? Expect results; not everyone to hold hands and sing Kumbaya. Your meetings are too much, too frequent and waste colossal time. If you're going to require sales reps to show up at the office at certain times for these, give them a purpose instead of treating each one like it were a dinner party for Percocet addicts. Support your representative's efforts; not undermine their every move. I could go on and on, but at the end of the day, you're going to have to figure it out for yourself.

Gatehouse Media

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is forward thinking

Cons

It a media company that deals specifically with newspapers. That industry is dying.

No raises (ever), ungodly amount of work, poor morale, incompetent duplicitious leadership ... otherwise it's great!

I worked at GateHouse Media part-time

Pros

Great co-workers. We formed a "foxhole" esprit de corps, sharing in our common misery to try and keep our spirits up and make it through each day.

Cons

- Massive amounts of work made more difficult by the laughably poor content management system
    - Salaries are outrageously low (far below the median) and well below the pace of inflation, cost of living and the standard minimum wage
    - Editors with diva-style personalities -- making necessary collaberation both intolerable and impossible
    - Odd schedule made for exhausting hours, compounded by the lack of support by managers
    - Deceitful, conniving and petty managers more interested in putting employees at odds with one another
    - Managers always "meeting" behind closed doors to plan their next failed idea, only making appearances in the cubicle jungle to use the copier
    - Company led by incompetent and/or heartless executives
    - Notified people that they were being laid off or cut to part time, then reversed course a couple of weeks later and offered the employees their jobs back -- at the same time they announced that the entire office would be outsourced to Texas
    - Offered some employees an overwhelmingly generous $1,000 to "join" the company in its "exciting" relocation to Austin -- the best reason they offered for selecting Austin as the site for its new facility was because it's warm there (i.e. unbearably hot) 300 days a year
    - Free doughnuts one day soon after the relocation announcement ... gee thanks.
    - The worst business model imagineable ... spend more money hand over fist to address its debt problems even after clearing bankruptcy
    - No raises
    - No room for advancement no matter how hard you work
    - Poor air quality ... dust from ducts caused many people to have headaches, scratchy throats and chronic coughs that mysteriously went away when away from the office
    - No climate control ... the temperature was always in the 80s -- buy a desk fan or suffer in a literal sweatshop

Stop giving yourself bonuses ... your employees can't even afford groceries

Worst Company to Work For

Current Employee - Office Manager/Reporter in Aledo, IL
    Current Employee - Office Manager/Reporter in Aledo, IL

I have been working at GateHouse Media part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyable Office Environment, good people in the same office, flexible schedule.

Rewarding to put together a newspaper.

Good place to gain experience in news reporting.

Cons

Gatehouse Media doles out titles - with no value. As a titled 'Office Manager' as well as 'Staff Reporter' along with many other responsibilities, I am paid only a quarter above Illinois' minimum wage - $8.50 (and that was because they thought that was minimum wage, and were later reprimanded for advertising the position above it).

Continually heap on more responsibilities.

No immediate boss in the office (the publisher is in charge of several papers and might spend one day a week in our office.)

In a meeting I was told I would have to learn the editor's job (putting together a newspaper). I said, well I hope I would receive more compensation. At this my boss along with another person in the office had a very open, good laugh.

Short-staffed. A weekly newspaper has only 2 full time people, and 3 part time.

Positions are blurred - sales staff (1 full time, 1 part time, has to do editorial work, and answer phones). Editorial staff may have to check ads.

Positions are confused. The particulars of any position are also blurred - specific duties are not detailed, we don't know if we are doing everything exactly as it should be.

Many employees will do everything it takes to get their jobs done, even when they are visibly given too much to do (as the company continually cuts positions). They take their work home. They blur the lines for hours worked overtime, because management will harass them if they log any overtime hours.

Because of the woefully inadequate staff (short-staffed), the newspaper is a laughing stalk in the community. Parents give their kids the newspaper and tell them to find all the typos for fun. The same people refuse to volunteer to edit - because that is what Gatehouse Media should be paying for. On a regular basis, there are only 2 eyes, including the editor on editing the paper per week. The entire paper. It's embarrassing to work here for this reason.

Everyone I have ever spoken to about this company agrees that it is absolutely atrocious to work for.

Rather than a high turn-over of your employees, which causes confusion on job descriptions as previous people usually do not leave detailed instructions, consider being loyal to them - honesty, honest pay for the jobs being done, and employee longevity might be attainable.

The people you employ in your small town offices are disgruntled, talking to several different offices and working closely with a few - I have every indication that it's on the brink of disaster.