GateHouse Media

Updated December 18, 2014
1.9

GateHouse Media CEO Kirk Davis
Kirk Davis

Pros
  • Great people and management but there was no growth (in 8 reviews)

• Relatively flexible hours, decent benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It appears upper management is controlled by accounting majors (in 16 reviews)

• Incubator newsroom" is GH corporate lingo for "Sh*t pay, no raises (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

No raises (ever), ungodly amount of work, poor morale, incompetent duplicitious leadership ... otherwise it's great!

I worked at GateHouse Media part-time

Pros

Great co-workers. We formed a "foxhole" esprit de corps, sharing in our common misery to try and keep our spirits up and make it through each day.

Cons

- Massive amounts of work made more difficult by the laughably poor content management system
    - Salaries are outrageously low (far below the median) and well below the pace of inflation, cost of living and the standard minimum wage
    - Editors with diva-style personalities -- making necessary collaberation both intolerable and impossible
    - Odd schedule made for exhausting hours, compounded by the lack of support by managers
    - Deceitful, conniving and petty managers more interested in putting employees at odds with one another
    - Managers always "meeting" behind closed doors to plan their next failed idea, only making appearances in the cubicle jungle to use the copier
    - Company led by incompetent and/or heartless executives
    - Notified people that they were being laid off or cut to part time, then reversed course a couple of weeks later and offered the employees their jobs back -- at the same time they announced that the entire office would be outsourced to Texas
    - Offered some employees an overwhelmingly generous $1,000 to "join" the company in its "exciting" relocation to Austin -- the best reason they offered for selecting Austin as the site for its new facility was because it's warm there (i.e. unbearably hot) 300 days a year
    - Free doughnuts one day soon after the relocation announcement ... gee thanks.
    - The worst business model imagineable ... spend more money hand over fist to address its debt problems even after clearing bankruptcy
    - No raises
    - No room for advancement no matter how hard you work
    - Poor air quality ... dust from ducts caused many people to have headaches, scratchy throats and chronic coughs that mysteriously went away when away from the office
    - No climate control ... the temperature was always in the 80s -- buy a desk fan or suffer in a literal sweatshop

Stop giving yourself bonuses ... your employees can't even afford groceries

Worst Company to Work For

Current Employee - Office Manager/Reporter in Aledo, IL
    Current Employee - Office Manager/Reporter in Aledo, IL

I have been working at GateHouse Media part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyable Office Environment, good people in the same office, flexible schedule.

Rewarding to put together a newspaper.

Good place to gain experience in news reporting.

Cons

Gatehouse Media doles out titles - with no value. As a titled 'Office Manager' as well as 'Staff Reporter' along with many other responsibilities, I am paid only a quarter above Illinois' minimum wage - $8.50 (and that was because they thought that was minimum wage, and were later reprimanded for advertising the position above it).

Continually heap on more responsibilities.

No immediate boss in the office (the publisher is in charge of several papers and might spend one day a week in our office.)

In a meeting I was told I would have to learn the editor's job (putting together a newspaper). I said, well I hope I would receive more compensation. At this my boss along with another person in the office had a very open, good laugh.

Short-staffed. A weekly newspaper has only 2 full time people, and 3 part time.

Positions are blurred - sales staff (1 full time, 1 part time, has to do editorial work, and answer phones). Editorial staff may have to check ads.

Positions are confused. The particulars of any position are also blurred - specific duties are not detailed, we don't know if we are doing everything exactly as it should be.

Many employees will do everything it takes to get their jobs done, even when they are visibly given too much to do (as the company continually cuts positions). They take their work home. They blur the lines for hours worked overtime, because management will harass them if they log any overtime hours.

Because of the woefully inadequate staff (short-staffed), the newspaper is a laughing stalk in the community. Parents give their kids the newspaper and tell them to find all the typos for fun. The same people refuse to volunteer to edit - because that is what Gatehouse Media should be paying for. On a regular basis, there are only 2 eyes, including the editor on editing the paper per week. The entire paper. It's embarrassing to work here for this reason.

Everyone I have ever spoken to about this company agrees that it is absolutely atrocious to work for.

Rather than a high turn-over of your employees, which causes confusion on job descriptions as previous people usually do not leave detailed instructions, consider being loyal to them - honesty, honest pay for the jobs being done, and employee longevity might be attainable.

The people you employ in your small town offices are disgruntled, talking to several different offices and working closely with a few - I have every indication that it's on the brink of disaster.

Local offices are treading water while corporate can't accept industry's future

Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities for a self-motivated journalist to gain new experiences and grow a portfolio
    Relatively flexible hours, decent benefits
    Good support locally, some experienced professionals to learn from
    Co-workers are dedicated, hardworking and loyal (until they get burned out)

Cons

Pay is below industry standards, especially for location
    Lots of turnover, low morale
    Directives from national corporate are tone-deaf to regional consumers, workload of staff
    Equipment and technology embarrassingly inadequate, outdated

If employees don't see an opportunity to advance, high turnover will continue endlessly.

A good place for students/young professionals

Current Employee - Page Designer in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Page Designer in Rockford, IL

I have been working at GateHouse Media part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- nice people
    - decent pay
    - relaxed atmosphere

Cons

- odd hours (2pm start time if not on day shift)

The company does not care about its employees

Former Employee - Multi Media Representative
    Former Employee - Multi Media Representative

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None. They lie. More work than one person can handle

Cons

Low base pay no salary increases. Hard to make commissions as they change it so you can't win. As people leave they can't find replacements so existing reps get more work piled on

Get real and understand who is bringing the money into the company!

Do not work here!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're just out of college they will hire anyone because they know you are desperate and will work whenever they ask for no money.

Cons

This is a turn and burn place. Everybody comes and leaves like crazy. They do not give raises and will treat you like nothing at all. The do not care at all about you. They have products that do not work and would rather sell to new customers than retain old ones. I have actually seen high ups from this company lie under oath to protect the profits of this company.

Get a clue. You guys have no clue how to manage and its a terribly run company. Stop with all the meetings and do something for a change. All the workers are so miserable and every day people would discuss going on interviews other places. If there was a meeting everyone would wonder who quit or got fired. Not a great atmosphere to work in. Doesn't really promotes loyalty.

It's better than nothing

Current Employee - Multi-Media Advertising Account Executives
    Current Employee - Multi-Media Advertising Account Executives

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady paycheck, freedom to come and go on sales calls without having to check in or clock out, better than being unemployed

Cons

No one knows what's going on, poor communication with upper management, too top heavy, too many products to sell with bare bones staff, constantly trying to reduce commission.

Cut out the programs that aren't working and focus more on print and directly only advertising. Communicate with us all directly instead of expecting things to trickle down through the many managers and assistants.

Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Editor in North Boston, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in North Boston, NY

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Day to day you work with dedicated people who are committed to community journalism; supportive managing editors; somewhat flexible hours

Cons

Trying to do more with less has lead to trying to get one editor to do the work of three, plus handle all reporting and keeping the websites up to date, it's an impossible task that leads to stressed, unhappy employees and an inferior product; flexible hours really means you never stop working, so work life balance is terrible

Invest in your employees instead of burning through them and expecting them to just be happy to still have a job.

Not a place for growth

Former Employee - Page Designer
    Former Employee - Page Designer

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Good starter job
    - Creative workplace
    - Willing to teach you what you don't know
    - Almost everyone was a delight to work with
    - Pretty lax work environment unless you break deadline

Cons

- Working on a daily basis with editors of newspapers from across the country -- the editors were either overbearing and did not trust the page designers or did not care at all about how their paper turned out
    - With anything in the journalism industry, the hours were crazy (mainly second-shift and weekends don't exist), but the biggest problem with this would be reaching the editors after they left their office
    - The transition took up a lot of time and talent and I don't see the quality of papers increasing within the next few years
    - The company was going through bankruptcy and was still buying papers and moving to TX... I think they had a lot of ideas, but the reality of the situation is that they are putting a lot of money into the dying print industry rather than update to digital
    - Overall contributing to the death of journalism and locally owned newspapers

Paper boy

I worked at GateHouse Media

Pros

Short hours and done by 7am

Cons

Wake up early and in all kinds of weather