Gates Corporation

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James (Jim) Nicol

Pros
  • Lots of great people at Gates that want to work for good leaders (in 6 reviews)

• There are many good people who work here and who are dedicated to the company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management direction and bad decisons made (in 5 reviews)

• Sullen culture, CIO lacks integrity and is out of touch, few advancement opportunities despite record profits (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company with growing product line. Great long term potential.

Manager of Production Operations (Current Employee)

ProsSuperior products and do care about people. Its just that business conditions cause a strain at times.

ConsPlanning is centralized at Corporate and not enough communication with plants. This causes too many knee jerk reactions and inefficiencies

Advice to Senior Managementquit micromanaging

Employee relations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocation downtown is nice to get out and about on a nice day during your lunch hour

ConsYou don't know who you can trust.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and honest - don't fake it.

Live and learn.

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to network with others in the automotive aftermarket.

ConsTotal disconnect when communicating with others. My experience has been that bad management likes a lot of paperwork. (on the plus side - you will get very good at spreadsheets) As a sales manager for over 10 years - was terminated. Reason given - "I'm not at liberty to say". Was let go ONE week shy of 55th birthday. Not sour grapes - just beware that turnover is extremely high. Most in management positions are totally inept. Ye' Old Peter Principle..... low morale throughout the sales force.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive salespeople the proverbial pat on the back from time to time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Have to watch out for your safety!

Mill Operator (Former Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsPay is good, on the upper scale in columbia i'd say,401k match and health plans are good also.

ConsManagement only cares about production at the expense of the safety of the employee's.They would have big safety meeting and then refuse to do things like putting safety cut-off switch's up stairs so people down stairs could'nt turn on the machine and kill you. Maintenance people were expected to fix things the way they wanted it fixed 'not the correct way. Personally saw a guy get hurt in the Mill area because they had taken some guards off to increase production.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk your self why with such a high paying job there is such a high turnover rate!

It's not who you are, it's who you know.

Floor Associate (Current Employee) Versailles, MO

ProsGates offers good pay rates with possible raises and promotions. They also offer good insurance rates and a 401(k).

ConsFavoritism and lack of accountability are two very large issues. The management staff do not look into reported problems, instead choosing to rely solely on their shift supervisors to be fair, and rarely doubt what the shift supervisors tell them. Mandatory overtime, sometimes up to 13 days in a row without a day off, is also an issue. They tell you that you can have a Saturday off if you hit your goal, but they still don't give it to you because the company is "barely keeping it's head above water". The attendance policy is a joke. If you are sick, it counts against your attendance, even if they tell you to go home or to the doctor. However, it is ok to miss due to bad weather.

Advice to Senior ManagementA good position should be awarded to someone who deserves it, rather than one of your friends. You should never give someone a promotion simply because they are nice to look at. And you should definitely pay attention to the claims made by your shift leaders by checking the situation out for yourself. Also try talking to random floor associates to get a better feel for a certain situation. Bestowing blind trust in your shift leaders, especially in those who never should have been granted that title, may give poor results.

Overall a decent place to work

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGates is a growing company but also has a solid foundation. Often times there are opportunities to learn as change occurs and people are expected by management to step up and make those changes successful. There are many good people who work here and who are dedicated to the company.

ConsAt times management displays favoritism towards certain employees over others. The growth driven objectives of the company can make the environment unstable which leads to personal uncertainty over job security.

good company to work for

District Manager (Former Employee)

Prosgood benefits, good management, good support staff

Conslower end of pay scale for sales people

Advice to Senior Managementpay more for experienced help

Getting better , Still room for improvement

ProsOver the last few months there has been a shift in the way we manage assets. There has been more emphasis on improving equipment and testing/manufacturing capibilities. A vision of keeping up with technology and state of the art equipment has been seen. Investment in training has also been seen as a great change.

ConsNeed better benefits.
    Recongnition of work is lacking but has been picking up lately.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the new course that was previously outlined in the "Pros" section.

Would have been nice to work there when the Gates family truly owned the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful facility in nice location downtown. Provided RTD echo pass for all employees. Good work life balance. Pending IPO.

ConsLots of processes not established or different depending on what group you work with.

Gates Corporation is a true leader in excellence

Design Consultant (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI worked with several departments during my stay and found them all to be genuine people deeply rooted in successful process.

ConsGates is a large corporation, so timeliness is not always possible

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to gain efficiencies in your departmental structure.

Worked for Gates Corporation? Contribute to the Community!