Gateway EDI

John McAuley
1 Rating

No Sense of Purpose

I have been working at Gateway EDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great PTO policy, casual atmosphere, decent salaries

Cons

Lost culture and focus after being bought out and subsequently taken over

For management at corporate - stop acting like STL doesn't exist. Try to cultivate a culture and instill a sense of purpose in the remaining employees.

Stay Away

I worked at Gateway EDI (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice place to start career.

Cons

Exodus! Company culture not what it used to be.

Very Dissatisfying Experience

I worked at Gateway EDI

Pros

They have screwed up the company so bad that there are no Pros that I can think of that will pull this company out of the nose dive that it is in. Sinking fast!

Cons

Nobody is listening to what the employees are telling them. Mass Exodus occurring and moving onto other companies. Management does not have a grip on reality

Management should listen to the employees that have worked there for many years who know how the system operates. They are trying to change everything and they are destroying the company. Their loss.

Just fine for now.

I have been working at Gateway EDI

Pros

Friendly staff, no issues with time off, work-life balance is possible. Flexible work from home policy. Some very personable leadership.

Cons

"pass the buck" culture at the mid/senior management level. Everyone is friendly but there is not a lot of personal accountability nor is there a pervasive "get it done" mentality. The norm is "it should get done, but it isn't really something I know a lot about so...." but there are of course exceptions.

Work-life balance is possible, but for some it can be at the expense of mobility. Internal leadership is very friendly not seems "green". Visibility into corporate leadership is non-existent and changes every few months anyway...

Develop solid strategic direction and trickle that down instead of running from fire to fire. Make this an awesome place to work so you don't lose employees as new and more exciting opportunities come knocking.

Get to work with fun and talented people

I have been working at Gateway EDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very relaxed environment. Don't have to be afraid to be yourself and let loose. You can even wear shorts now if you donate $50 to a dedicated charity. The people you work with is what makes this place great. The salary is about average (you can definitely find higher, but you can also find lower). The health benefits are pretty good for these days. Management really listens to your concerns or comments for improvement and will bring them to the attention of appropriate people.

Cons

A lot of red tape as far as approvals is concerned.

I say stay the course. You listen to your employees while also being realistic that it's a business and as such it needs to be profitable.

Great Work Culture

I have been working at Gateway EDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very Friendly work environment and great flexibility.

Cons

Frequent reorganization within IT Team.

Rewarding mediocrity

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Gateway EDI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, no after hours work, free to learn additional skills

Cons

Bad management, no vision, instability at top of the leadership, endless meetings and conference calls

Worst Job I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gateway EDI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Probably the only real pro to working here is how great my co-workers were. They were as unhappy as I was, so we all bonded over that and helped each other as much as possible.

Cons

Oh, goodness, where to start?

- Pay was horrible and raises were embarrassing.
    - Our calls were recorded and graded, so if you had a difficult caller on the phone, you had to kiss their rear end so you wouldn't get a bad grade and thus a lower raise. You also had to answer the phone a specific way and say specific things during the call, or risk another low grade. Made me feel I was back in school.
    - The company is obsessed with getting new clients. That is their #1 goal. It doesn't matter how cruel some of these clients could be, you'd BETTER make them happy, even if dealing with the abuse makes you miserable (I went home plenty of nights in tears from dealing with difficult clients).
    - Middle management micro-manages everything you do. You'd better not arrive a minute late, be at lunch break a minute longer than allowed, you'd better be at your desk if you're not on break, and you'd better be in the phone queue if you're at your desk.
    - My department was seriously under-staffed, but management didn't care. We had to keep taking on more and more to the point we were completely stressed out. When I left, instead of hiring a new person, management decided my work would be given to my co-workers. I felt the need to apologize to them for putting even more on their plates. All the stress and abuse we had to put up with lead to a high turn-over rate in my department.
    - The various computer systems and program we use were old-fashioned and crashed regularly. Last summer the company felt the need to suddenly lay off half the IT department, which definitely did not help matters.

Before I left, upper management started regularly boasting about how they were listening to the workers. Which was all just hot air. They'd drag everybody into a company-wide meeting every other week, listen to our complaints, claim they were "looking into" these issues, and then proceed to do nothing about them.

Update the computer systems, pay your employees more, recognize that we are all ADULTS and do not need to be baby-sat, get rid of clients who regularly abuse your employees.

The best co-workers in the industry, the worst upper management (TriZetto)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gateway EDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easily the best group of people to work with, ever.

Cons

This place (GEDI) used to be the stuff that dreams were made of. A great culture/work environment, the best people, a laid back but hard-working atmosphere. Ever since TriZetto took over in January of 2013, things have rapidly gone downhill. The people are still great, but no one has the support from upper management that they need to do their jobs. As of September of this year, all of the upper management that ran GEDI have left, and TriZetto has officially taken over. Customers are getting angry, products are sliding down a slippery slope into inefficiency, and nothing is being done about it. We used to be able to pride ourselves on offering the best products and the best customer service in the industry, and when we said it, we actually felt it. We were all even willing to work for compensation and benefit rates that didn't even come close to industry standards because we liked the company model so much. That is just not the case anymore.

In January, a massive re-org happened to the IT team. Just as everyone was starting to get the hang of things...

In June, TriZetto HR came to GatewayEDI and laid off 25% of our IT workforce. The managers of those that were laid off found out the night before that it was happening, and were not able to give any input. Poof...gone. Then, they didn't renew the contracts of the additional help that we had gotten for IT. By month-end, almost 50% of the IT team was let go. 50%!!! That trickles down quickly to other teams and customers. The fixes that need to go in place aren't even showing up on their radar because there's not enough people to get through the everyday problems, let alone pick up the extras. It was truly horrible, made everyone walk on egg shells, led to backstabbing and a horrible work environment.

I made the decision to leave the company, and have heard that many others have since done the same thing. My only regret is not getting to see the associates anymore, and I could not have asked for a better team while there. However, feeling like my job is constantly threatened, and working for a company that no longer focuses on doing what's best for the client is not worth it to me.

Stop doing what you're doing. You're driving the company into the ground. GEDI had a great thing going - you need to go back to that model.

Prior to the acquisition, Gateway EDI was a great place to work.

I worked at Gateway EDI full-time

Pros

Great coworker relationships, excellent benefits, good work life balance.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities and experienced growing pains.

Keep the focus on the people.