Gateway Media Reviews

Gabe Douek

1. Very Rewarding Work Place

Current Employee - Reporting Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Reporting Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers are people I can trust and rely on everyday. Everyone pushes their limits and works smart and hard here. We're treated to a good lunch and breakfast once a week for free as well. I'd be very hard pressed to find the same level of bonus and benefits that are available here.

Cons

Some off-hour work is needed when learning new processes.

Advice to Management

More cross-training would probably help out everyone when it comes to highly specific-tasks. This would also help fill the gap when people are on vacation or out of the office.

2. West Coast web dev culture but in St. Louis!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the way this company approaches challenges. As a Senior Developer, my perspective is highly valued as our company pursues goals and hurdles road blocks. The day starts with our scrum and finishes with friendly smiles. I'm not making this up! Having worked in Seattle for 12 years, it is refreshing to find West Coast technological sensibilities right here in St. Louis.

I was promoted after 2 years and the opportunity is there for more personal growth. Benefits are 100% company paid for and matching 401k up to 6%!!! Who does that these days? Did I mention our CEO flew us down to New Orleans for our holiday party!

Cons

We are growing, so many of us are wearing several different hats. We need more talented people so I can focus on my job.

Announce Media is great according to Announce Media!

I have been working at Gateway Media

Pros

Announce Media is really great. I am NOT saying that because we were told to write a positive glassdoor review but because I REALLY REALLY love announce media. I love writing cookie cutter websites so we can collect and sell user information to marketing companies. I LOVE polluting google search results with fake ADs so that we can redirect users to our link-bait sites. Most of ALL I love coming into work everyday knowing that the work I do hurts the web while at the same time makes CEO David Karendish wealthy. The man's had it so hard. One day I hope we make him enough money to be able to afford a Segway AND offer us healthcare. Until that day comes, I guess we can ride the Segway to the free clinic.

Cons

There are none! It's amazing here! It's awesome that they give us a kitchen full of FREE* food! It's AWESOME that they shovel us full of free coffee and junk food while only having THREE toilets for the entire office! My favorite part of the day is stepping off the elevator and taking a big whiff of that old familiar Announce Media. For the longest time I thought it was just the interns; They get paid so little they might as well not even have names but felt A's pinned to their shirts. *Must trade soul for food privileges.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! These guys are great! You can always count on them to increase productivity and efficiency! They'll keep on surprising you with their brilliance. Their latest move was nothing short of genius. When toilet paper costs were getting out of control (free food and an office full of software engineers will generate a lot of crap), they instructed maintenance to replace all the toilet paper dispensers with Announce Media stock certificates. This saved so much money because while toilet paper costs practically nothing, Announce Media stock options cost even less.

Fast-moving company full of brilliant minds

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gateway Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Announce Media requires intelligence and the desire to work hard. There's plenty to learn (no matter your previous experience level) and good potential to move upwards.

Cons

As mentioned, the work is hard and sometimes management is distracted from the human side of the company. Also, salaries may not always be equitable.

Advice to Management

Improve / expand HR

If you are an avid learner and highly motivated person, working at AM can be an incredibly rewarding experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gateway Media

Pros

Working alongside some of the most intelligent people in the industry
    Great working environment - very relaxed, low stress environment
    Fast paced work environment - every new project is helping advance the company right away, and you can see how your work is helping immediately.
    Management is friendly and easy to approach, more of a team leader environment, than an over-your-shoulder boss.
    Learn valuable skills and insight into a rapidly growing industry
    Because it's a rapidly growing company, there are a lot of promotions- and most are internal.

Cons

Working with such motivated and intelligent people can be a bit intimidating if you aren't a driven individual.

For some, working in a fast-paced environment might not be ideal. There's no room for slacking.

It can take a while to get used to 8 hours in front of a computer screen. (Fortunately, there's a break room with snacks, and you're free to take breaks as you need them- as long as you get your work done!)

Bring a sweater or jacket.

Advice to Management

Continue everything you are doing now, AM is the best company I've worked for.

Company is Growing Quick

I have been working at Gateway Media

Pros

There are a lot of very smart people working at Announce Media and this makes it a great place to work if you enjoy learning and being challenged.

The work is challenging and once you have proved yourself, and there is reasonable opportunity to move to grow in your position and projects.

Add to this all the other perks and this has to be one of the best companies in the industry.

Cons

The baseline expectations are very high, so this is not the kind of company for someone who wants to simply coast and relax.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Announce Media is the best place I've worked in 10 years.

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Media

Pros

* The ability to take an idea and turn it into a reality.
    * Quick approval process within a non-political environment.
    * Everybody makes a difference and has a voice on how we approach challenges.
    * People are expected to do amazing things for the company - daily!
    * Multiple projects are launched quickly, and road map cycles are very fluid.
    * There is usually extreme urgency without the need for super hard deadlines.

Cons

* The main downside is the long hours, but, truthfully it is fun, so I don't really mind that much.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your employees and they will do the right things. We have some incredibly talented people at Announce Media.

9. Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Gateway Media

Pros

We work on a lot of really great projects that are leading the Internet Advertising Revolution. Moreover, we have a lot of autonomy to work on different types of projects and make independent decisions. Executive management listens to our ideas, and many are implemented.

Cons

Teams can sometimes be somewhat disconnected and the bi-coastal structure can make it hard to collaborate effectively [due to time differences] and move forward quickly with projects.

Advice to Management

My advice to Senior Management is to keep doing what you are doing. Announce Media is one of the best companies in the Bay Area.

10. Excellent Place to Work.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Gateway Media

Pros

1 - Everyone is here because we believe we're helping consumers make better buying decisions. We truly believe we're making a difference.

2 - GREAT opportunity; If you see something broken, missing, or know how to improve it - go for it.

3 - Freedom to think outside the box; In fact, there is no box.

4 - Incredibly smart executives, engineers and supportive people.

5 - Open and transparent environment.

6 - We have fun.

Cons

We move so fast and are growing quickly, there's little time to stop and reflect on the great achievements. We literally have to have lunch meetings to ensure we're focusing on the right things.

Advice to Management

Ensure we continue to hire the best people in the leadership roles, whether it is promoting from within or bringing them in from the outside. Having the right culture fit and ability to exceptional teams will remain critical to our success.

11. Definitely Top Talent.

Former Employee - Technical Engineering Lead in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Technical Engineering Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gateway Media

Pros

This company knows how to make money - period! Take a couple energetic, cool and fun founders + brains + a good idea + a gap in the market place and you get = success.

If you're highly talented, and you want to work with other talented people, then this might be the company for you. If you're fairly complacent in your career then a company like HP or IBM might be a better fit for obvious reasons.

The company has a high employee retention rate; so it's easy to make quality friends, spend time with them, and keep them for life.

I've seen the company spend allot of money on it's employees, acknowledge contributing employees and offer incentives & bonuses when employees succeed.

Much of the staff has received promotions within last 2 years. The company also offers 100% paid benefits; good vacation; competitive comp packages and cool company events.

The company is one of the top in their own right.

Cons

St. Louis, MO is very cold in the winter.

There have been rare occasions when "non performing" employees {but nice people} have felt uncomfortable in a high-achievement environment like this. This company definitely supports employees in succeeding and being the best they can be, but very few {1 out 100} are just short of miracles. I think diligent screening up front would weed the average out.

The kitchen is stocked with too much candy, cookies, cakes and donuts (i.e. you'll likely gain weight)

Increased communication

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing, it's obviously working because the company is growing fast, but make sure the front line employees get time with Executives as well - employees look up to the Execs.