Gateway Media Reviews

Reset
4.7
Gabe Douek

1. A First Class Organization

I have been working at Gateway Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great ownership, great management. I like working for and with smart people. From the ownership to the CEO to the VPs to the department heads to the staff, this place is full of A players. Fast paced environment, constantly growing, constantly trying new things, constantly expanding. Companies of this type are always either for sale or are looking to buy, and this company is in buying mode. Benefits are good, with fully provided health insurance, HSA, vision, dental, and almost excessive amounts of PTO. Management expects a lot and will sever an employee who doesn't perform, but treats people well and rewards excellence. This is not a company for people who don't care about what they do. Enjoyable atmosphere with quarterly company happy hours, outings to hockey and baseball games, etc. Lunch provided once a week, breakfast provided once a week, and snacks and drinks always available. The biggest "pro" is the personnel, though.

Cons

Not a lot of room for upward mobility, yet. It's a small company and most of the VPs and department heads are fairly recent hires. There will likely be/should be more opportunities for advancement as the company grows and as new acquisitions are made.

Advice to Management

I am comfortable giving them my thoughts in person, so i don't need to put them here.

2. Awesome place to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO

Pros

Awesome benefits probably the best anywhere. Great work environment and very fun people to work with. Senior management is always open to new ideas and willing to try new concepts to make the business better.

Cons

No cons for this company

3. Hard work actually does pay off

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

-Management listens to everyone's ideas. -Data drives direction, not whims. -Advancement opportunities are as available as you want them to be. If you are willing to work for it, you will be rewarded. -Benefits are great. -Lots of small office perks (free weekly lunches, casual atmosphere, fun events). They aren't necessary or anything, but it's a nice gesture and it makes working more enjoyable.

Cons

Not going to mince words here, it can be fast-paced and very hard. There are a ton of priorities and projects going on at any given moment, and figuring out the best way to utilize your time is tough. There is always a lot more than can be done, and some days it feels like you'll never get to it all.

Advice to Management

Making sure that there are redundancies at every level is becoming more and more important. More structured project prioritization is an ongoing struggle, but worth the effort.

5. 5 Star Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Top of the line benefits. Professional, friendly and fun employees. A work hard, play hard atmosphere. Consistent rewards for hard work! Management very helpful and knowledgable... if you show your passion for the industry, management sees it and helps you succeed!

Cons

I have no cons for this company or my position.

Advice to Management

Prioritization is key!

West Coast web dev culture but in St. Louis!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the way this company approaches challenges. As a Senior Developer, my perspective is highly valued as our company pursues goals and hurdles road blocks. The day starts with our scrum and finishes with friendly smiles. I'm not making this up! Having worked in Seattle for 12 years, it is refreshing to find West Coast technological sensibilities right here in St. Louis. I was promoted after 2 years and the opportunity is there for more personal growth. Benefits are 100% company paid for and matching 401k up to 6%!!! Who does that these days? Did I mention our CEO flew us down to New Orleans for our holiday party!

Cons

We are growing, so many of us are wearing several different hats. We need more talented people so I can focus on my job.

7. Very Rewarding Work Place

Current Employee - Reporting Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Reporting Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers are people I can trust and rely on everyday. Everyone pushes their limits and works smart and hard here. We're treated to a good lunch and breakfast once a week for free as well. I'd be very hard pressed to find the same level of bonus and benefits that are available here.

Cons

Some off-hour work is needed when learning new processes.

Advice to Management

More cross-training would probably help out everyone when it comes to highly specific-tasks. This would also help fill the gap when people are on vacation or out of the office.

Announce Media is great according to Announce Media!

Pros

Announce Media is really great. I am NOT saying that because we were told to write a positive glassdoor review but because I REALLY REALLY love announce media. I love writing cookie cutter websites so we can collect and sell user information to marketing companies. I LOVE polluting google search results with fake ADs so that we can redirect users to our link-bait sites. Most of ALL I love coming into work everyday knowing that the work I do hurts the web while at the same time makes CEO David Karendish wealthy. The man's had it so hard. One day I hope we make him enough money to be able to afford a Segway AND offer us healthcare. Until that day comes, I guess we can ride the Segway to the free clinic.

Cons

There are none! It's amazing here! It's awesome that they give us a kitchen full of FREE* food! It's AWESOME that they shovel us full of free coffee and junk food while only having THREE toilets for the entire office! My favorite part of the day is stepping off the elevator and taking a big whiff of that old familiar Announce Media. For the longest time I thought it was just the interns; They get paid so little they might as well not even have names but felt A's pinned to their shirts. *Must trade soul for food privileges.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! These guys are great! You can always count on them to increase productivity and efficiency! They'll keep on surprising you with their brilliance. Their latest move was nothing short of genius. When toilet paper costs were getting out of control (free food and an office full of software engineers will generate a lot of crap), they instructed maintenance to replace all the toilet paper dispensers with Announce Media stock certificates. This saved so much money because while toilet paper costs practically nothing, Announce Media stock options cost even less.

Fast-moving company full of brilliant minds

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gateway Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Announce Media requires intelligence and the desire to work hard. There's plenty to learn (no matter your previous experience level) and good potential to move upwards.

Cons

As mentioned, the work is hard and sometimes management is distracted from the human side of the company. Also, salaries may not always be equitable.

Advice to Management

Improve / expand HR

Gateway Media Response

Jun 12, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for the kind words and constructive feedback!

If you are an avid learner and highly motivated person, working at AM can be an incredibly rewarding experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Working alongside some of the most intelligent people in the industry Great working environment - very relaxed, low stress environment Fast paced work environment - every new project is helping advance the company right away, and you can see how your work is helping immediately. Management is friendly and easy to approach, more of a team leader environment, than an over-your-shoulder boss. Learn valuable skills and insight into a rapidly growing industry Because it's a rapidly growing company, there are a lot of promotions- and most are internal.

Cons

Working with such motivated and intelligent people can be a bit intimidating if you aren't a driven individual. For some, working in a fast-paced environment might not be ideal. There's no room for slacking. It can take a while to get used to 8 hours in front of a computer screen. (Fortunately, there's a break room with snacks, and you're free to take breaks as you need them- as long as you get your work done!) Bring a sweater or jacket.

Advice to Management

Continue everything you are doing now, AM is the best company I've worked for.

Company is Growing Quick

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

There are a lot of very smart people working at Announce Media and this makes it a great place to work if you enjoy learning and being challenged. The work is challenging and once you have proved yourself, and there is reasonable opportunity to move to grow in your position and projects. Add to this all the other perks and this has to be one of the best companies in the industry.

Cons

The baseline expectations are very high, so this is not the kind of company for someone who wants to simply coast and relax.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

RSS Feed </> Embed