Gateway Media

10 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Very Rewarding Work Place

Current Employee - Reporting Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Reporting Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers are people I can trust and rely on everyday. Everyone pushes their limits and works smart and hard here. We're treated to a good lunch and breakfast once a week for free as well. I'd be very hard pressed to find the same level of bonus and benefits that are available here.

Cons

Some off-hour work is needed when learning new processes.

More cross-training would probably help out everyone when it comes to highly specific-tasks. This would also help fill the gap when people are on vacation or out of the office.

West Coast web dev culture but in St. Louis!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the way this company approaches challenges. As a Senior Developer, my perspective is highly valued as our company pursues goals and hurdles road blocks. The day starts with our scrum and finishes with friendly smiles. I'm not making this up! Having worked in Seattle for 12 years, it is refreshing to find West Coast technological sensibilities right here in St. Louis.

I was promoted after 2 years and the opportunity is there for more personal growth. Benefits are 100% company paid for and matching 401k up to 6%!!! Who does that these days? Did I mention our CEO flew us down to New Orleans for our holiday party!

Cons

We are growing, so many of us are wearing several different hats. We need more talented people so I can focus on my job.

Fast-moving company full of brilliant minds

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gateway Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Announce Media requires intelligence and the desire to work hard. There's plenty to learn (no matter your previous experience level) and good potential to move upwards.

Cons

As mentioned, the work is hard and sometimes management is distracted from the human side of the company. Also, salaries may not always be equitable.

Improve / expand HR

If you are an avid learner and highly motivated person, working at AM can be an incredibly rewarding experience.

I worked at Gateway Media

Pros

Working alongside some of the most intelligent people in the industry
    Great working environment - very relaxed, low stress environment
    Fast paced work environment - every new project is helping advance the company right away, and you can see how your work is helping immediately.
    Management is friendly and easy to approach, more of a team leader environment, than an over-your-shoulder boss.
    Learn valuable skills and insight into a rapidly growing industry
    Because it's a rapidly growing company, there are a lot of promotions- and most are internal.

Cons

Working with such motivated and intelligent people can be a bit intimidating if you aren't a driven individual.

For some, working in a fast-paced environment might not be ideal. There's no room for slacking.

It can take a while to get used to 8 hours in front of a computer screen. (Fortunately, there's a break room with snacks, and you're free to take breaks as you need them- as long as you get your work done!)

Bring a sweater or jacket.

Continue everything you are doing now, AM is the best company I've worked for.

Company is Growing Quick

I have been working at Gateway Media

Pros

There are a lot of very smart people working at Announce Media and this makes it a great place to work if you enjoy learning and being challenged.

The work is challenging and once you have proved yourself, and there is reasonable opportunity to move to grow in your position and projects.

Add to this all the other perks and this has to be one of the best companies in the industry.

Cons

The baseline expectations are very high, so this is not the kind of company for someone who wants to simply coast and relax.

Keep up the good work.

Announce Media is the best place I've worked in 10 years.

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Media

Pros

* The ability to take an idea and turn it into a reality.
    * Quick approval process within a non-political environment.
    * Everybody makes a difference and has a voice on how we approach challenges.
    * People are expected to do amazing things for the company - daily!
    * Multiple projects are launched quickly, and road map cycles are very fluid.
    * There is usually extreme urgency without the need for super hard deadlines.

Cons

* The main downside is the long hours, but, truthfully it is fun, so I don't really mind that much.

Keep empowering your employees and they will do the right things. We have some incredibly talented people at Announce Media.

Definitely Top Talent.

Former Employee - Technical Engineering Lead in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Technical Engineering Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gateway Media

Pros

This company knows how to make money - period! Take a couple energetic, cool and fun founders + brains + a good idea + a gap in the market place and you get = success.

If you're highly talented, and you want to work with other talented people, then this might be the company for you. If you're fairly complacent in your career then a company like HP or IBM might be a better fit for obvious reasons.

The company has a high employee retention rate; so it's easy to make quality friends, spend time with them, and keep them for life.

I've seen the company spend allot of money on it's employees, acknowledge contributing employees and offer incentives & bonuses when employees succeed.

Much of the staff has received promotions within last 2 years. The company also offers 100% paid benefits; good vacation; competitive comp packages and cool company events.

The company is one of the top in their own right.

Cons

St. Louis, MO is very cold in the winter.

There have been rare occasions when "non performing" employees {but nice people} have felt uncomfortable in a high-achievement environment like this. This company definitely supports employees in succeeding and being the best they can be, but very few {1 out 100} are just short of miracles. I think diligent screening up front would weed the average out.

The kitchen is stocked with too much candy, cookies, cakes and donuts (i.e. you'll likely gain weight)

Increased communication

keep doing what you're doing, it's obviously working because the company is growing fast, but make sure the front line employees get time with Executives as well - employees look up to the Execs.

A unique opportunity to work for an emerging leader in the online space, right here in the Midwest.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gateway Media

Pros

It is a rare opportunity to be able to work in such a positive environment. The accomplishments achieved by such a young company is truly impressive, from start-up to industry leader in less than 5 years. There is endless opportunity learn and grow from extremely talented executive team, as well many other very smart individuals. Hard work is contagious at Announce, and it is recognized and rewarded. You cannot help but feel a strong sense of accomplishment in knowing that you have made an impact.

Cons

In an ever evolving internet industry, it can be a constant battle to stay ahead of the curve. This can cause for some stressful times, as new projects come and go, and priorities change quickly.

Continue to succeed by believing in your mission, and your staff. You are building something great and paving the way for success for many young employees.

Going Places..

Former Employee - Engineering in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Engineering in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gateway Media

Pros

Announce Media is a fast moving company with allot of momentum. Sometimes things get a bit hectic, but the success is championed by highly-talented employees and a highly motivated management team. If you want a quick paced environment within an ever-expanding organization then Announce Media is a good choice.

The management team is ambitious, highly ethical, motivated, honest and well respected throughout the industry. Please note; they will definitely expect you to perform to the best of your abilities.

I miss the team, hope they're doing well, would have preferred to stay; I was called out of state..

Cons

Multitasking, Hectic, Chaotic (sometimes a fun way), and evolving infrastructure

Management team is great and they offer a substantial amount to the employees (fully paid bene's, stocked kitchens, gym memberships, softball, company parties, trips, etc.).. Probably the best early-stage executives that I've ever worked with.

Announce Media

I worked at Gateway Media

Pros

Announce Media works in a very fast paced environment that is exciting and ever changing. If you can make it at Announce, you can survive fast paced anywhere.

Cons

This is a small company run by a couple of really smart guys with very limited management experience. Feedback is often negative, and employees don't feel like they are on the same page as management.

Listen to the employees, don't assume they are all incompetent. Buying snacks does not a best company to work in st. louis make.