Gateway Regional Medical Center

Updated Feb 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good facility

Unit Secretary (Former Employee)

I worked at Gateway Regional Medical Center part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work to gain experience in the field

ConsStaff can be inconsiderate and unhelpful to work with at times.

Great pay!

Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gateway Regional Medical Center

ProsExcellent pay.
Excellent time off.
Very kind co-workers and middle management.
Fair benefits, though you had to use the hospital for health insurance in an inner-city.

ConsPoor organization of management. Individual offices with little to no supervision, very laissez faire. Problem providers and employees were kept because of the political/financial burder of removing them.
Poor operations management--buying was disorganized and inefficient. Central supply would be a much better solution to supply offices with supplies. As it was product constantly expired before it was used. There would be hiatus from buying new, so at times difficult to acquire supplies.
High turn-over in executive management, very green upper level management--poor inner city system.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need experienced management, not simply a variety of young men at their first executive position making an attempt up the ladder. Move the hospital out of the inner city or at least build an additional. You will never compete as a big provider in that location. Most people are not going to seek care at a facility with that location.

Disappointed in lack of professional interaction with other staff and especially with supervision.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gateway Regional Medical Center

ProsAt the most, some medical benefits and a salary, even if below the market in a local area with many hospitals, research, and centers of excellence

ConsSmall hospital with many long term employees. Many complaints from long term employees about the organization and lack of consistency on a day to day basis.

Poor management

I have been working at Gateway Regional Medical Center

ProsPatient care, and peers; Pay which still could be better with the amount of work you put in....

ConsManagement doesn't care about it's employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house of department directors

I left this job as soon as I found another position.

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at Gateway Regional Medical Center full-time for less than a year

ProsThey hire nurses who are new graduates.

ConsNo training for new nurses. You don't get a preceptor. They just throw you into the deep end and you sink or swim. The patient load is VERY heavy. 8-12 patients per RN on an orthopedic floor is not reasonable. They call you off for low census if the patient load is less than 7 per nurse. They complain bitterly if you work overtime. I saw many nurses clock out and then stay over 2-3 hours to complete their charting. Very little support and a very high pressure environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current patient loads per nurse are not safe. Hire more nurses.

Worked for Gateway Regional Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gateway Regional Medical Center reviews and ratings. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Gateway Regional Medical Center employees.