Gateway

Gateway CEO James Edward Coleman

James Edward Coleman

Store manager

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFun company to work for. Regular work week, open to change.

ConsUnstable, limited market growth.work location limited. Long term plan for growth unclear.

A ship without destiny !

Director Quality (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

Proseasy going as long as filed failures are under control - no big PMP targets - just take it easy culture

Consuncertainty about your career and company future - you can't make ANY difference

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some Type A leaders - make a plan and execute - win or loose - cant sit on the Loo forever

ok company

Database Administrator (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

Proscould play ping pong during office hours.

Consno promotions, managers were really unfit guys

Advice to Senior Managementstop the layoffs

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They meant well but couldn't sustain their business model

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany culture, values, atmosphere, advancement

ConsSalary, company outlook, financials, direction

Gateway has always provided quality treatment because it hires quality people to provide the needed services.

Domestic Violence Facilitator (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsThe results from giving the best quality care/treatment can be self-satisfying.

ConsThe work hours can sometimes be long.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking for Gateway has given me so much satisfaction and there is no better place to work.

Great company back in the day

Human Resources (Former Employee) North Sioux City, SD

ProsFun place to work, opportunities to grow

ConsBad management decisions in a commodity market

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget your roots

Was greatest job i ever had at first but went downhill... i left in 2000 but had no choice of that year

Help Desk (Former Employee) Hampton, VA

Prosgreat people to work with, good hours and pay. lots of opportunity to learn and grow your career. have to move out to move up though.

Consbad management desicions drove company into the ground. when i first started working there we would fix anything (help desk suuport for end users) ... by the time i left customers had to pay for everything even though they paid upfront for premium support

Advice to Senior Managementgo back to the companies roots if you want to survive

Company with no direction

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood group of peers to works with

ConsNo work life balance. Inept management

A once-great company, lost by bad decisions

Consumer Tech Support Senior (Former Employee) North Sioux City, SD

ProsBefore it was purchased by Acer, Gateway held firm to a belief that its employees were the reason the company was great, and so they treated everyone very well. However, that was too good to last. During the transition to Acer, a lot of jobs were lost, the once great cow-spotted building now stands empty aside from some new tenants who rent parts of the building for other endeavors.

ConsLayoffs, in the end. You never knew when the axe would fall. Management was overly concerned with quality, and unfortunately that drove price up and consumers weren't willing to pay for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone of the management I worked under is there any longer...

Acquired by Acer Group and original Gateway members were in anger and fear

Industrial Designer (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGood salary, attractive location, Some nice people, large corporate building and open communications.

ConsMost of Gateway's employees were let go after Acer bought the business. Many angry and sad faces with fear of losing jobs. Selfish managers, confused designers and disqualified members who isn't really updated in the field to compete with other PC companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcer in Taiwan must know who to trust, and how to fully use employees' knowledge and professional experiences. Operations under conservative Asian way in this location will not work. Lazy old days top managements should open their eyes and willing to work from the bottom-up, not just counting days and checks that they make.

Worked for Gateway? Contribute to the Community!