Gaylord Entertainment

Updated October 20, 2014
3.6

Gaylord Entertainment Chairman, President, and CEO Colin V. Reed
Colin V. Reed

Postitive work environment, but limited opportunities to develop a cross industry skillset.

Former Employee - Executive Meetings Manager in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Meetings Manager in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

Free company cafeteria, free dry cleaning for salaried employees, benefits package is fair. Great work culture, very people centric.

Cons

Management tends to hire as if in triage, due to the pro employee culture sub par employees tend to be kept on. There is also a tinge of nepotism. Company is triangular in power structure so don't expect much cross-training or professional skill development outside of hospitality specific functions.

Good company, with pros and cons

Former Employee - Marketing Manager - Corporate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager - Corporate in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

- Great on a resume
    - Learning opportunities are many as long as you show interest, intelligence and the ability to work hard
    - Senior management is very intelligent and always trying to drive the company vision
    - Good benefits

Cons

- Extreme demands; very little life/work balance and there's always an attitude of "it's never enough"
    - The hotels (including the GMs) act like indulgent children while corporate is left running in circles trying to make everyone happy.
    - Depending on your managers, there can be A LOT of micromanaging
    - There is an EXTREME gap in salary from middle management to senior management/directors, and no matter how good your work or high your praise, getting a raise and/or promotion (unless you have direct ties to VPs/Colin) is an act of god.

While the drive and hard work of senior management is evident and helps to lead the company to the success it is, there is a gap in the life of senior management and middle management. The expectations of time and workload on someone at a manager level is ludicrous. Something needs to be done about the attitude of the properties vs the brand - the brand is working for the greater good of the business, yet the constant battle causes brow beaten employees, wasted time and money, and utter frustration.

6 years of ups and downs

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

They have a very comprehensive benefits package and offer bonuses contingent on guest satisfaction. Some of the people are amazing to work with/for.

Cons

Senior management lets the mid-level management take all the heat. There is no work/life balance; if you are in management, as I was, you are expected to respond to all emails quickly. It doesn't matter if you have kids who are sick; if you call out to take care of your children you will be frowned upon and made to feel as if you are not dedicated enough. Forget about if a family member dies - if you are in management your leader might "suggest" that you will feel better working instead of attending the funeral/viewing. They closed the on-site daycare; this was a major selling point to me when I first started working for the company six years ago.

Colin Reed and Pete Weien do a fabulous job leading the company; however, this does not get transferred down from division leaders to department heads. The leaders get stuck between the STARS and the department heads - and Mr. Reed tells us it's all about the STARS. This is actually NOT the case, Mr. Reed.

Great place to work. Amazing environment for the employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

STARS (employee first culture), Benefits, Smiling faces who really want to work and make a difference. Large number of growth opportunities.

Cons

Lot of politics. All decisions are not always in line with STARs first culture. Sometimes decisions are made more in favor of few key people instead of everyone.

When making decisions think one step further on the impact on line STARS and mid-level managers and not just Leadership team.

Gaylord Opryland

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

Different people from different cultures. It is good to learn and understand others when you work in a "melting pot".

Cons

Some of the downsides of working for Gaylord was it was hit or miss for different aspects. Sometimes there was plenty of work to be done and we were able to work enough or a lot of hours, other times we were unable to get any hours. Also, some of the training for managers slipped through the cracks. Managers that have been there a while forget basics, like talking to employees and are not updated on new policies. And the newer managers quickly forget what it was like in employees shoes.

I think Colin Reed was a great leader, he made it a point to attend all the meetings that employees (STARS) had and helped better the company. The break down happens at the smaller, off location areas, like the General Jackson and Wildhorse. It becomes difficult to include them in certain aspects of the company but get held to the same standards.

Looks great on a resume, but not recommended

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

In the big picture of the hospitality industry, Gaylord Entertainment is the leader in business travel, and has earned a prestigious reputation in that field. High dollar room and convention rates will ensure long term success for this company. On a resume, everyone knows who Gaylord Entertainment is.

Cons

On paper, the service pyramid at Gaylord has the employees at the top, supported by the management and then the guests. In reality the service pyramid is no where near that. The management is at the top, followed by the guests, and then the employees. Management will not hesitate to sacrifice a good employee in order to maintain their image.

Your employees are your greatest resource, and is the candidate pool for the middle management that is so dearly valued and closely protected.

Tremendous Growth Opportunities

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

I love this job. Their number one commitment to their STARS is "industry leading training and development." Senior Management has given me the tools and opportunity to grow personally and professionally. Especially at the Opryland property they have a positon for everything. I've seen a call center manager move over to be a restaurant manager. An engineer be promoted to a housekeeping manger and so on. This job gives you a ton of flexibility. If you get bored easily, like me, it's hard to find a work place like this one. I am a VERY satisfied employee.

Cons

Like in all hospitality the schedule can be very demanding. The guests make the schedule so if their is a big turn of the house expect to work.

Keep up the good work.

Very Satisfied Employee

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

The people!! My team are some of the best people I have ever met. They help be a better person and employee. They give me feedback anytime I ask for it, and sometimes when I don't. The managers let me job shadow with them all the time. And the benefits!! Gaylord has great insurance and retirement plan.

Cons

Some of the negative feedback from clients. But that's way we are there, to make it better!! They like to complain that the place is too big. Well, that's why we are considered a resort. Also I work in a building besiee the resort, that may have mold.

Keep up the good work! You guys do an amazing job. You let us know about everything (well, what we need to know) thats going on in the company.

I worked at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

The company offers competitive pay, friendly peers, some flexibility, and an overall great work environment. It is definitely considered a top-employer in Nashville.

Cons

The company can be very bureaucratic, especially in regards to management decisions. Often quick decisions are made without thorough and adequate knowledge of the complexities involved.

Managers need to be attune to all levels within their departments. Understanding the various employee roles, and the challenges presented at all levels, will help upper management make decisions that solve problems long-term, versus just providing a temporary solution.

Drive for continuous improvement.

I have been working at Gaylord Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are looking to learn, perform and keep looking up - this is the place for you.
    "Never good enough" doesn't belong in the "Con" category. When it is "good enough" it is time to get a crossing guard job and a lawn chair.
    In an industry that has massive turnover looking for the greener grass, this is the greener grass.
    The "STARS" First culture doesn't mean "me first" and it shouldn't.
    Gaylord is a very good business. The upcoming contract with Marriott is only going to increase the precision and depth of resources of the Gaylord Texan.

Cons

Work/life balance is going to be - let's just say - unbalanced until you find your stride and affect a reasonable schedule.

So far, so good. I am in an incredible and rare position.
    If I told you what it is, I would no longer be anonymous.

Gaylord Entertainment Photos