Gaylord Hotels

Gaylord Hotels Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Will the real Gaylord please stand back up!

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsGaylord had it right. They equipped you for your responsibilities, listened to your ideas and believed in a healthy balance of hard work and reward. Life balance wasn't just a cliche it was a way of life.

ConsMarriott management - the true spirit of Gaylord left when they came in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the old Gaylord culture. That's what made it a successful company. Fire Marriott as the management team.

A very positive atmosphere, full of opportunities for growth and development.

Server (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsReally great benefits. Great discounts and insurance available for purchase. Leaders that truely care about you and your life. The training was very thorough. They were great about working with my schedule.

ConsI did not not feel I made enough money throughout the entire year. Some times and seasons were busier than others and it is hard to know how much money you will make week to week. I felt I worked very hard for the tips I made and was not compensated well enough for the amount of side work I was expected to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management did not get to know us very well. I was close with my general and assistant managers. I had waited on many upper level management that did not remember me from time to time.

Used to be great, now not so much

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMore room for growth as a part of the Marriott family.

ConsThe "Gaylord Culture" is gone when it comes to the STARS, and that is what made this company special for so many employees (and yes, the guests too.) You used to feel like a part of something special, but unfortunately we became part of the big picture for Marriott.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My position started well but was written off in the Marriott management transition.

Senior Manager, Food and Beverage Department (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsSalary was good with some little annual increases and bonuses.
    I enjoyed working with my skilled staff and providing a wonderful service product in a high end setting.
    The setting of the resort is amazing on the lake in the cool little town of Grapevine, Tx.
    Nice discounted rooms around the world is a little like working for an airline.

ConsGaylord rode the top of the industry through the economic downturns by having a uniquely gracious culture. Gracious to the STARS (highest employee retention in the industry), Gracious in the care of the services and gracious to the customer in the quality of the product. It was a very expensive hotel for a casual setting but it was an AWESOME hospitality experience that customers would return to over and over.
    With the new Marriott "accounting rules" finance top down based model, an outlet GM and two assist. managers have been trimmed to one AGM. Full time service staff is trimmed by approx. 25% in the last year with more attrition and layoffs of full timers every month. Gaylord culture has come to a complete halt and is reversing without looking back.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou know what you are doing. I would continue so it will make cookie cutter profits.
    You should come up with a new franchise sales angle as it will be difficult to sell this expensive concept to new owners after the Gaylord "STARS first" and Gracious environment is finally drained completely from the concept.

manager

Prossome people care others do not care

Conslooking down on low paying stars. from top to low manager.

Advice to Senior Managementcheck on your down manager

Poor leadership by senior management!

Ritz Carlton Atlanta (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI would say the best thing about working for the Ritz Carlton was the amazing employees that I had to chance to interact with daily and making memories for guests who visited us.

ConsThis company has everything perfect on paper, but the people that are chosen for upper leadership positions act as if you, as an employee, are disposable. There is no care for you as a person and act as if your family - work life balance is not a priority. Employees are underpaid for the amount of hours they want you to work daily and the yearly raises are insignificant. The respect level that upper management has for employees has completely disappeared to the fact that they will not speak to you when they see you in the hotel, but want you to put on a show when they are being audited. I am extremely disappointed in management at this hotel and can see why they have lost so many valuable employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement, especially upper management, really needs to listen to employees' concerns. Respect is something that should be given to everyone, if you expect it in return. Very difficult to advance in this hotel unless you superficially are a "yes" person to upper management. Needs to improve on motivating their employees and not continue to take them for granted. Your employees are the ONLY reason why the AAA gives you a 5-star rating year after year and why guests posts great comments on TripAdvisor and gallop. Please do not continue to manage the employees in the way that you are because more and more people will continue to leave and you will lose the essence of what brings guests repeatedly back to the hotel......the employees who provide exceptional service.

Employees first

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsEncouraged personal growth, had great company values, and took care of their "STARS". Great benefits.

ConsUnder payed. Commission was paid to certain positions in the same department, so people with more authority/responsibilities are paid less than the more basic positions with less responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementFairness across the board as far as salary. On-call departments received a higher pay scale than the everyday office employees.

Big company, small vision, poor culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThey are now part of Marriott International, have good benefits

Conspoor sense of positive culture even though they have the "STAR" mantra. personal growth is a low priority for my manager. There is no acceptance or culture for new ideas. Many times it seems to be discouraged.

Advice to Senior Managementrespect, empower and listen to your team. Embrace change and foster growth.

Gaylord

Proswork with good people, lots of benefits

ConsI have nothing bad to say about the company yet

Great leadership is long gone!

Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGaylord is now part of Marriott, so there is great opportunity for big company experience and entry level.

ConsWhen the great leadership left Gaylord, it changed into a different place that made it not a great place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are all gone!

Worked for Gaylord Hotels? Contribute to the Community!