Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center CEO Colin Reed
Colin Reed

Not a 9-5 standard

I have been working at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

Pros

Insurance benefits. Discount hotel stays. Good pay if you can hack the long hours.

Cons

Stressful work environment. Long hours. Too many opinions of how to operate means constantly chasing your tail to keep all managers pleased. No work / life balance.

Come up with a unified plan and stick it out. It takes time to get a rhythm when implementing a new idea. Look at the bigger picture than what you first see.

Great place to learn

Former Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are great

Cons

Since the transition to the big M all focused on $$$$ not the people that make the $$$ stars first out the window.

Start carrying about the people. Get over your 50hr work week that's maditory with lunch thats 55 hr a week spent at Opryland.

Busy Busy Busy!

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Always something new to learn.

Cons

Such a big place- it's easy for things to fall throughout the cracks.

PRE Marriott took over

Former Employee - Assistant Executive Housekeeper in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Executive Housekeeper in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary was above average
    Culture was awesome
    Great place to develope leadership skills

Cons

Only 4 properties less options to move up
    Run by Marriott now

Just Say No

Current Employee - Banquets in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Banquets in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center (less than an year)

Pros

Possibility for insurance, vacation, and advancement

Cons

Very disorganized. They brought in 390 new hires to the banquets dept. Three weeks later, imstill in training. Lowest hourly ive ever seen. 1.91 per hour. If you work banquets, there is a lot of dead weight and people that dont work hard or know what they are doing. In all my years in this business, this is the worst anti employee company I h ha ve seen. Shame on you Marriott. For a family business, you have really lost touch..Makes Obama Care look efficient. What a joke!

Get out of you office, quit going to stupid corporate meetings, and look at what I is going on around you. For all the money you waste on 3 day orientations, you could pay a real hourly wage

Don't bother

I have been working at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

Pros

None. Could only be potential for good experience if they bothered to care enough to get you through the door.

Cons

There is no followup, extremely disorganized, little regard for your time or interests. I would not want to work for a company who treats people this way

Work on your hires. They are terribly disorganized and off putting for your organization

Don't waste your time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center full-time

Pros

The Pro about working for this company is the Marriott discount on hotel rooms. Everything else is terrible.

Cons

The leadership is virtually non-existant. Senior management is incompetent and advances the wrong people. This company has no loyalty to long-term employees, making it incredibly hard to advance. "Advancement" in Gaylord is almost always horizontal with no real promotion. The front office is incredibly unorganized and a lot of the time no one knows what is going on. The work-life balance is awful, and the turnover rate is very high. Most of middle management has become increasingly unhappy since the marriott transition and has left the company or is looking to leave.

Consider learning how to do your job. There needs to be a complete restructuring within this property. Get better control of the room inventory. Get rid of senior leaders who only have the job because of who they're friends with. Appreciate the people who work hard for you. Realize that within six months a huge number of managers within the rooms division left the company, and there is a reason for that.

Put it on your resume and get the hell out

Former Employee - Guest Service Agent
    Former Employee - Guest Service Agent

I worked at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You meet a lot of great people, discounted rooms, flexible schedule

Cons

horrible lack of leadership in Front Office. High turn over rates, low pay for the largest hotel in TN, No one knows what the hell is going on half the time, and there is no fine line between job roles.

Learn how to manage, learn to hire better people

Awesome environment before transition to Marriott.

Former Employee - Director in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Director in Nashville, TN

Pros

Great culture with an opportunity to grow and heavy emphasis on guest satisfaction.

Cons

the transition was not a good idea

Even better now that it's Marriott... or is it?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts on rooms world-wide, good health benefits (considering the nation as a whole), on-site health clinic, free lunch, pool table in break room, free gym.

STAR Leaders are great. They keep trying to hold onto our culture but it's hard.

Cons

Marriott leadership keeps forcing cuts that inhibit our ability to do our jobs well. Will we survive? Yes. But will we be the best? Not by barely getting by. You get out of something what you put it. So far, all Marriott has done is take. Thanks for the discounted rooms though!

Keep your heads up, STAR leaders. In spite of MS.

Also, why is Colin Reed still listed as our CEO? Didn't he sell us out?