Gaylord Security

Updated June 16, 2014
Updated June 16, 2014
3.9

Kevin Gaylord

Great atmosphere and professional group of people.

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Gaylord Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The environment is serious because home security is a serious subject. The staff is trained and friendly and in general it is a work first atmosphere.

Cons

Not a lot, great company

Keep up the good work

"Great Customer Service delivered from a Great Team and Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Kent, WA

I have been working at Gaylord Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is just the right size to offer all that a large company can, but not too big to get lost in corporate formalities. The culture at the company is focused on the balance of work and family. The general feeling at the company is very positive and fun. They even have a foosball table and video arcade game.

Cons

I guess you have to come up with something here, but no company is perfect. I would say the company could offer some better coffee, seeing the corporate office is so close to Seattle. Seriously though, I think some minor communication improvements could be made, but I think this is common with most companies.

Good luck with more growth and with that comes a growing happy team.

Great experience in marketing

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Kent, WA

I have been working at Gaylord Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been able to gain experience in a lot of different areas in marketing such as SEO, social media, web/mobile apps, landing pages, direct mail, etc. I have a great supervisor and friendly coworkers, and the culture of the company is pretty laid back. We dress pretty casual - business casual and my hours are flexible in that I'm able to start/end work earlier or later depending on my preference. There are some fun planned activities like a company picnic, baseball game, Halloween costume contest, and potlucks.

Cons

It's a long commute from Seattle. There is no paid sick time-off, so you have to use your paid vacation days if you're sick.

Houston Office is a joke!

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Gaylord Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They state that $1000/week is possible to bring home - and under perfect circumstances, it can be done. They are constantly hiring and experience is not required. There is a company van that will take you to the neighborhood that you will be selling in. No need to drive your own car.

Cons

There is constantly schedule and pay changes. They offered $10/hr base + commission, then a month later changed it to $350/w Salary. Then changed it again to commission only with no base. The start times are between 2 or 3pm - it changes from week to week. Saturday hours are the worst, as you are in a company van so if the boss says he wants to stay an extra hour or two - you are stuck there. Office manager claims that corporate will only pay 36 hours a week, yet many reps work more than that. They offer many sales contests, but rarely pay them out. Paychecks are always short on commission and time is wasted just trying to get paid. They demand 6 day work weeks but will not pay full time hours. Turnaround is constant. Manager's wife is also a sales agent and favorites are definately played. She throws fits if she doesn't get her way. Extremely unproffessional. They had a training manager for a while, and he did a good job, but all of a sudden stepped down to be a regular rep.

Find a schedule that works and stick to it. Demanding 6 day work weeks with no benefits, sick time/vacation will not retain employees. Provide more thorough training - spending one day in the office and one day in the field then being thrown to the wolves will not get results. Get rid of the husband/wife situation. Wife has an attitude problem.

The potential for earnings was good for a part-time position, but I wouldn't considerate as a long-term career.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kent, WA

I worked at Gaylord Security

Pros

The hours were very flexible and the pay was reasonable.

Cons

No real room for advancement within the company.

There should be a benefit package in place for inside sales reps.