Gazillion Entertainment Reviews

David Brevik

Software Engineer

Current Employee - CA - California in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - CA - California in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment, flexible hours, small team feel. We play ultimate frisbee everyday. Marvel Heroes is a great up and coming game, and we work on making it better everyday.

Cons

The work schedule here can be a bit crazy. Planning isn't as tight as most would like. Expect to get slammed with an important feature or bug fix at the last minute before a build.

Advice to Management

Management should try to keep everyone in the company more informed about whats going on. We should focus more on quality over quantity.

Short-Lived Dream Team

Former Employee - Senior Artist in Sammamish, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Artist in Sammamish, WA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Inverted pyramid of talent. Best Art team ever.

Cons

Gazillion closed the studio.

Advice to Management

Regroup!

Fantastic Company!

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome product, Marvel Heroes but the best part of this company is the team! A very friendly and talented group of people. The company moved into a beautiful office in October which has 360 views of everything from the Foster City lagoon to the San Francisco Bay.

Cons

I don't have much to add to this section. It is a small company so everyone wears a lot of hats and works really hard. That hard work is rewarded and everyone takes a lot of pride in their job.

Advice to Management

I wish the company the very best! Management has done a great job of rewarding employees for their hard work.

Amazing company full of passionate people.

Former Employee - Director of CS and QA in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Director of CS and QA in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easily the best company I've worked for in the gaming industry. The CEO is unbelievably passionate about Marvel Heroes on a personal level, and that overall attitude is prevalent throughout the company. Most of the staff actively play the game, and it's a very healthy work environment where everyone feels free to offer input on the state of the game, and all opinions are listened to and respected. I've found this to be pretty rare in the industry. I was able to allow my Customer Support team to bend over backwards to help players in ways that most companies would never even consider. This was actively encouraged by the company's leadership to the point where putting our community first because part of the overall business strategy. To say this attitude towards customers is rare in the gaming industry would be a serious understatement. In regards to my Quality Assurance team: while there were some overall issues with the team structure and policies when I first took the department over, I was able to work closely with our Studio Director to make sweeping staffing and policy changes that led to significant improvements across the board. I'm very proud to say that the QA team is not only night and day better over what it was in 2013, but it's easily the best group of testers I've had the pleasure to work with. All in all, working at Gazillion was basically a dream job for me. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Cons

More healthy food options in the kitchen would be nice.

Advice to Management

Slow the pace down a bit to give people time to breath and make sure everything is going out in working order.

Great people but a cheap company to work for in QA capacity -unless you're in management.

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team, small enough, good snacks until the vultures come in, beer days always good

Cons

No pto, no work from home, low pay, nuff said.

Advice to Management

Pay your team a little better and you'll keep them longer. $20/hr is hardly livable wage in this area. Management makes almost triple what we made.

Senior Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best place to work. It has the glamour of any start up: nice, beautiful offices with a lot of art decoration, full free stock kitchen with snacks, soft drink, candies, cookies... The management teams are talented veterans with vision and passion. They fully support the development of staff and provide the best guidance. Working there is a dream comes true for me. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

Cons

Free snacks will make you gain weight quickly if not paying attention

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You guys are the best.

Going places fast!

Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Team - No real politics, truly player focused, well-oiled machine, and supportive of employees (to a fault, almost) Huge games, huge IP - Marvel Heroes and Super Hero Squad are live games that are always hungry for fresh, new ideas Huge opportunities - This company has paid its dues, and are now reaping the benefits. Gaz is poised to make some huge strides as they apply force from their new foothold. Perks - Great location, fun culture, and marvel movies free!

Cons

Hard work - Those games are always, always hungry. Iteration is fast and furious. Decisions must be made both carefully and swiftly.

Advice to Management

The team is enjoying a positive feedback loop of improvement, so just keep up your work of supporting morale and keep supplying the resource to succeed.

Good place to work, has issues like most game companies

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has recruited very talented people. The team has delivered a great game in Marvel Heroes and has done a good job improving it over time. Great work/life balance.

Cons

When I was there, there were a lot of difficult personalities that were not dealt with (either fired or disciplined) in a timely manner. This alone reduced the quality of the game greatly and made the culture of the company a difficult one to be happy and productive in. The games industry is a messy one and Gazillion is not sheltered from it, so layoffs are not uncommon.

10. A terrible experience

I worked at Gazillion Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many in my experience. Free candy/snacks and "car wash food" (ramen noodles, pop tarts, etc)

Cons

Was sometimes bullied into working weekends without pay by certain managers Raises were under 25 cents Volatile developers who were unprofessional and very confrontational when the didn't get their way, made for a very uncomfortable work environment Nepotism runs strong As mentioned in another review, some managers literally watched movies (Netflix) 8 hours a day for several months on end, instead of supporting their department and doing their job Bad decision making simply ran rampant and the games and community suffered for it QA was forbidden to participate in weekly social gatherings the studio held resulting in poor morale

Advice to Management

Set a higher bar when hiring people

Frustrated dreams at a company that never reached its potential

Pros

Gazillion has managed to recruit some incredible talent over the years, and has had a number of very ambitious projects in development. After many years of near-misses, it appears that Marvel Heroes may deliver on the company's promise.

Cons

Job security has been a problem for the company and many of the projects have not panned out and have been canceled. This is in part due to the volatile nature of the industry, but also due to poor planning.

RSS Feed </> Embed