Gbophb Reviews

3.2

Barbara Boigegrain
1 Rating

Good Experience

I have been working at Gbophb full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great retirement savings plan available

Cons

Not convenient for public trans users.

Fear and Duplicity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

I worked at Gbophb full-time

Pros

Some really talented, nice and hard-working people among co-workers, as well as among the clergy and lay workers that the organization serves. Benefits are pretty good. Good diversity among workers. Good location if you like to drive to work and live in the north/northwest suburbs.

Cons

It's a fear-based, fear-driven, political culture that impedes the good, strong efforts of its staff. Not much diversity among managers. Not a good location if you want to take public transportation to work or don't live in the north/northwest suburbs.

Do you really need to be so afraid?

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Web Developer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gbophb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Teamwork
    Unified Staff
    Creativity Welcomed
    Diversity in the Workplace
    Methodist

Cons

Heavy Work Load
    Emotional Stress
    Lack of Understanding
    Lack of Flexibility
    Political

Continue to do what God has called you to do.

Doesn't Practice What It Preaches

I worked at Gbophb (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty good benefits, some cool people, OK salaries for a nonprofit.

Cons

Very corporate. Most, if not all, of the directors come from consulting backgrounds. A lot of mean-spirited folks here, many of whom work in leadership roles. Totally unprofessional people whose behavior would get them fired anywhere else. The company preaches mutual respect, but that's only lip service. It's not the reality. That said, there are some cool directors and employees here. But several bad apples spoil the bunch.

Take a look at your directors'--and your--behavior.

A Stifling Experience

Former Employee - Communications in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Communications in Evanston, IL

I worked at Gbophb full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and pay were reasonable for a non-profit. The work-life balance was fine as well.

Cons

A real chasm between the senior leadership and employees below them. Limited learning and growth opportunities.

Practice what the ministry you serve preaches. Listen to you employees; some actually have good ideas. Value them, not just by giving them benefits but letting them help the organization and membership. Some of your senior leadership should really be evaluated, if the same ones are still there since I left.

Company review

I worked at Gbophb full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits and insurance, also made non-match contributions on employee's behalf.

Cons

Very unprofessional environment, bordering on a high school mentality. Only picks and friends of management are allowed to move up, no matter how unqualified.

GBOPHB, A Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Benefits Determination in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Benefits Determination in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Gbophb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company believes in change and welcomes their employees with open arms in regards to new ideas to make processes and procedures. This company gives respect to each individual person and has an TRUE open door policy.

Cons

The only downside to this job is the opportunity to work from home is there, but not allowed. It is only allowed during weather emergencies.

Management already does such a great job, there is really no improvement to be made. Just make things even better :)

Great atmosphere, colleagues, and engaging work

Current Employee - Software in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Software in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Gbophb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am in the software development area of the company. I have enjoyed every day I've worked at GBOP so far (except maybe 1 or 2 - but hey, who hasn't at any job?). The work has always been engaging for me and I have had the opportunity to increase my experience in my field much more than with a larger company. The company embraces change and encourages employees to improve processes. The biggest selling point for me was that there are never layoffs due to off-shoring or lack of work (laid off from my previous company due to this). There are rarely people who work from home on a regular basis due to company policy. This is a pro and a con for me. The pro for this is that everyone is in the office and you develop relationships with these people and feel more like a team.

Cons

Because it's a small company, there's only a limited amount of layers to advance into. However, there's often areas in different organizations within the company to move to in order to keep work interesting. In the software side, like any company, there's always some times before product releases where you'll need to stay late. As mentioned in the Pros section, there's no opportunity to regularly work from home. This isn't really a con for me (personal preference), but may be for other software folks as it seems to be considered a perk for some people.

I have high respect for the management at GBOP and think that they're doing an excellent job. My only complaint would be for them to be a little more flexible on install dates. However, I understand the drive behind their decision to push to get things in as soon as possible.

Interesting - a great learning experience

I have been working at Gbophb

Pros

1. Good pay
    2. Upper management and training are very friendly and personable
    3. Great bonus program and benefits

Cons

1. Human resources needs to be more thorough in middle management and employee disputes.

Listen to employees regarding middle management complaints.