Gbophb

Be The First To
Add Photos

Barbara Boigegrain

Great Place to Work

Web Developer (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

Emotional Stress
Lack of Understanding
Lack of Flexibility
Political

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do what God has called you to do.

Fear and Duplicity

I worked at Gbophb full-time

ProsSome really talented, nice and hard-working people among co-workers, as well as among the clergy and lay workers that the organization serves. Benefits are pretty good. Good diversity among workers. Good location if you like to drive to work and live in the north/northwest suburbs.

ConsIt's a fear-based, fear-driven, political culture that impedes the good, strong efforts of its staff. Not much diversity among managers. Not a good location if you want to take public transportation to work or don't live in the north/northwest suburbs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you really need to be so afraid?

Doesn't Practice What It Preaches

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gbophb for more than a year

ProsPretty good benefits, some cool people, OK salaries for a nonprofit.

ConsVery corporate. Most, if not all, of the directors come from consulting backgrounds. A lot of mean-spirited folks here, many of whom work in leadership roles. Totally unprofessional people whose behavior would get them fired anywhere else. The company preaches mutual respect, but that's only lip service. It's not the reality. That said, there are some cool directors and employees here. But several bad apples spoil the bunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your directors'--and your--behavior.

A Stifling Experience

Communications (Former Employee)
Evanston, IL

I worked at Gbophb full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe benefits and pay were reasonable for a non-profit. The work-life balance was fine as well.

ConsA real chasm between the senior leadership and employees below them. Limited learning and growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what the ministry you serve preaches. Listen to you employees; some actually have good ideas. Value them, not just by giving them benefits but letting them help the organization and membership. Some of your senior leadership should really be evaluated, if the same ones are still there since I left.

Company review

I worked at Gbophb full-time

ProsExcellent benefits and insurance, also made non-match contributions on employee's behalf.

ConsVery unprofessional environment, bordering on a high school mentality. Only picks and friends of management are allowed to move up, no matter how unqualified.

GBOPHB, A Great Place To Work

Benefits Determination (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gbophb full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis company believes in change and welcomes their employees with open arms in regards to new ideas to make processes and procedures. This company gives respect to each individual person and has an TRUE open door policy.

ConsThe only downside to this job is the opportunity to work from home is there, but not allowed. It is only allowed during weather emergencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement already does such a great job, there is really no improvement to be made. Just make things even better :)

Great atmosphere, colleagues, and engaging work

Software (Current Employee)
Glenview, IL

I have been working at Gbophb full-time for more than a year

ProsI am in the software development area of the company. I have enjoyed every day I've worked at GBOP so far (except maybe 1 or 2 - but hey, who hasn't at any job?). The work has always been engaging for me and I have had the opportunity to increase my experience in my field much more than with a larger company. The company embraces change and encourages employees to improve processes. The biggest selling point for me was that there are never layoffs due to off-shoring or lack of work (laid off from my previous company due to this). There are rarely people who work from home on a regular basis due to company policy. This is a pro and a con for me. The pro for this is that everyone is in the office and you develop relationships with these people and feel more like a team.

ConsBecause it's a small company, there's only a limited amount of layers to advance into. However, there's often areas in different organizations within the company to move to in order to keep work interesting. In the software side, like any company, there's always some times before product releases where you'll need to stay late. As mentioned in the Pros section, there's no opportunity to regularly work from home. This isn't really a con for me (personal preference), but may be for other software folks as it seems to be considered a perk for some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have high respect for the management at GBOP and think that they're doing an excellent job. My only complaint would be for them to be a little more flexible on install dates. However, I understand the drive behind their decision to push to get things in as soon as possible.

Interesting - a great learning experience

I have been working at Gbophb

Pros1. Good pay
2. Upper management and training are very friendly and personable
3. Great bonus program and benefits

Cons1. Human resources needs to be more thorough in middle management and employee disputes.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees regarding middle management complaints.

Worked for Gbophb? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gbophb reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gbophb CEO Barbara Boigegrain. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Gbophb employees.