Gecko Hospitality

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014
4.0

Robert Krzak

Leading national hospitality recruiting firm!

Current Employee - Contract Recruiter
    Current Employee - Contract Recruiter

I have been working at Gecko Hospitality as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Support from franchise partners for new recruiters and company fosters team system to share ideas and best practices.

Cons

Everyone is a contract, 1099 recruiter.

None now

Best Job Ever!!!

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Gecko Hospitality full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with Gecko for just under 2 years and I love it! My franchisee/boss is amazing. She is generous, dedicates a lot of time to my personal and professional development and genuinely wants our whole team to be happy and successful. I have had success in other careers but this is still the most money that I have ever made. Plus its a fast paced and fun job! It takes dedication and focus but its very rewarding!
    I have also met some really great and knowledgeable people. My "neighbors" (the partners who border the states that I work in) are awesome people who are also great to work with.

Cons

I think that you have to have the right attitude and understanding of this business. Working from home can be a challenge- there is a lot of temptation and distraction. But for someone who can focus it can offer a level of freedom that other jobs can never match.
    Recruiting in general is also all about attitude! Candidates that we think are great might get rejected, people might walk off of jobs their first week- things like that happen in every industry that you recruit in, that is part of the business. If you are a person who is able to move forward and brush it off and know that the next candidate could not only be amazing and a great fit for your client but also someone that you help by putting them into a job that they love then this is a great position to be in!

Keep being awesome...I love some of the new team building and camaraderie activities that are happening right now. I love the idea of having connections throughout the Gecko nation!

Meh

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Gecko Hospitality full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's all virtual - if that's what you like. You have to be disciplined to do that though. You only recruit in hospitality. It's all 1099 so you work when you want. If you're not working though, you're not getting paid. There are zero benefits or 401K. They use job boards to source candidates and also do some advertising to help get candidate flow.

Cons

Tons of stuff. You pay well over half of your commission to the house. Commissions aren't very much anyway so you have to work on volume which can be difficult getting started. Cash flow is very up and down. And at first, you wait a really long time to get paid. Must have money in the bank while you ramp up.
    It's all hospitality recruiting and there are a lot of replacements.
    The company has no benefits or retirement plan. It's like working for yourself except you give a lot of your money away.
    Most of the recruiters came from restaurant operations and don't know much about the recruitment business.

People in management paid for the franchise. Some are good managers, some are not. My opinion is that for the most part, Gecko Franchise Managers are greedy and make a fat living off of their hard-working Recruiters' backs.
    How often do you want to replace your recruiters? If not often, you should treat them better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gecko is the BEST by far!!!

Current Employee - Franchise Partner  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Franchise Partner in New York, NY

I have been working at Gecko Hospitality full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Gecko Hospitality is the leader in the restaurant industry in management recruiting, The highest standards, integrity and ethics are part of the culture. All are former long time restaurant people representing restaurant managers into restaurant companies. A combination for success!!! Corporate office support is excellent and the innovations keep Gecko ahead of the rest of the competition.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about this company. It really is a good company to be associated with.

Keep up the good work

Market Partner

Former Employee - Market Partner  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Market Partner in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gecko Hospitality full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very busy industry so many job orders and clients are available. The variety of the orders depends on your ability to market to the client.

Cons

Commission only with Very LOW flat fee structure means one must make 100+ placements annually to make a decent living. Lots of egos in the organization makes it entertaining but frustrating to deal with daily drama.

The President must go! Talk about at bigot and greed monger, wow! He has his hands in everyone's pie and is not ashamed to admit it openly.

Excellent company!

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Gecko Hospitality

Pros

ability to grow into a recruiting level position
    Great support on training!
    Always learning new, great methods and technology to help with my performance.
    My earnings grow as my performance grows.
    Income is very good!!!
    They are a very busy office!

Cons

It takes a little while to learn all the responsibilities of a recruiter.
    Working durining some evenings.

Great office! Thanks

Great!

I have been working at Gecko Hospitality as a contractor

Pros

There is great work-life balance!

Cons

Difficult to come up with any!

What A Great Company

Current Employee - Franchisee
    Current Employee - Franchisee

I have been working at Gecko Hospitality full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a new franchisee, i didn't know what to expect. The training program is great and the support you receive from the corporate staff and other franchisee is a life saver. Anyone looking to get out of the grind of the restaurant industry and make serious money, needs to come aboard to Gecko Hospitality. What a nice team environment. The president is a "Mad Scientist" when it comes to recruiting innovations.

Within one year, I've make 4X's my last years salary and I'm on track on beating my numbers for 2012. Bottom line, Gecko Hospitality saved my marriage.....

Cons

Very competitive industry. If you are not focused and expect the business to come to you then this is not the right company for you.

Keep those innovative ideas coming.

I never knew what was going on.

I have been working at Gecko Hospitality

Pros

Get to work with high profile companies, ability to work in multiple locations, freedom to set schedule, community work environment between employees

Cons

lack of communication, people are often let go with out reason or warning, upper management is mischievous, no motivation or reward system for work, all profits go into president's pocket

don't bully your employees, it creates a work area where people are afraid. this reduces work potential, which then reduces profits. there is also no communication, try to fix that

Worked for Gecko Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!