Geek Squad Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
3.4

Geek Squad CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • The 401k is great and I don't know of any better employee discount than Best Buy's (in 23 reviews)

• You learn a lot about technology everyday even if you already know a bunch (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The schedule is not very flexible for full-time employees in college or who have families (in 9 reviews)

• The customers make or break the job, just like any other customer service job though (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture, fun work enviroment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Culture for Geek Squad is fun and Best Buy has great benefits and accomodations

Cons

With the wrong management, it can be extremely stressful. Low hours and a lack of promotions make it difficult to go up.

Valuable work experience in a variety of fields.

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Home Theater Professional
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Home Theater Professional

I worked at Geek Squad (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love most things electronic and working for the Geek Squad/Best Buy allowed me to get paid to play with such things. I started out on the retail floor selling products and services as a seasonal employee. I didn't love it, but it got my foot in the door. From there, I was able to work in the areas that I actually wanted to, first as a car electronics installer and then onto home theater installation. Once I left the store and became a home theater installer I really began to enjoy my job. I had great management and coworkers to show me the ropes. My direct supervisor was very fair regarding hours and pay. I felt valued as part of a team. Home theater installation allowed for a lot of autonomy which meant that I was trusted to manage my own time and do my own problem solving, which I really enjoyed. I was able to get hands on experience with a large variety of consumer electronics and learned a lot as result.

Cons

Unless you live in a large city, don't expect to get much experience in custom theater solutions. Because of its size, the Geek Squad is fairly restrictive of the types of jobs you can do. Their point of sale systems do not allow for much flexibility outside of the "cookie cutter" jobs (ex. mount a TV, set it up, educate the client and leave).
    Policies and expectations shift frequently because corporate management far removed from the market you work and live in are constantly seeking (and expecting) higher business metrics. These frequent changes are often referred to as the "flavor of the month," referring to whichever metric is being pushed that month.

Trust the management in individual markets to make the best business decisions for their areas.

Excellent career starter for college student

Current Employee - Covert Agent
    Current Employee - Covert Agent

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment. Excellent benefits for full time employees. Amazing resources available to employees who are willing to take control of their own development. Strong culture among employees makes work enjoyable.

Cons

Lack of set schedule can be difficult for effective work/life balance. Leadership generally lacking in quality and engagement. Pay is severely lacking when compared with other companies in the IT sector.

One of the best experience gaining positions you can find.

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working in Geek Squad gives you an immense experience gain in customer service, troubleshooting computers both in person, over the phone, and depending on the position remotely as well. The pay isn't terrible, and the scheduling is flexible with the right management.

Cons

People have unreal expectations for what you can and can't do for them and you can easily feel like your pay is just enough to keep you around.

When hiring new people to work in the Geek Squad precincts, it's incredibly important to try and find people with the best of attitudes who can get along with anyone. Spending 8 hours a day around just one person that doesn't get along with one other agent in the precinct brings morale down faster than anything. The Best Buy and Geek Squad motto's of "Having fun while being the best," and "Accuracy and Swiftness," should be held to a higher standard.

I work in a highly paced, client driven work environment. New technically challenges of every level are a constant feat.

Current Employee - CIA Senior in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - CIA Senior in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with Geek Squad is like a networking hub, you meet new and amazing people of all friends and industries everyday. You never know if you are meeting your new best friend, or even saving someones career. You are always looking for a new challenge, and a new problem to fix, and sporting a fancy uniform and badge all in the same day. If you are looking to spreads your wings and learn the true experience of IT support, than Geek Squad is the way to go.

Cons

There are not many positions in Geek Squad, and the pay is limited unless you move away from technical to a management focus. It is not the fault of the company, but the way the business works. You are a company driven based on the services you as an individual sale, so you are constantly in the position to either sacrifice solution for profit, or the opposite. If you cannot make these leadership based decision and create personal growth, you may soon find frustration with your work.

My advise to the leadership in Geek Squad is to compensate and appreciate your techs, though they are not sales men and it is easy to track the successful performance of a salesman. You must pay close attention to a tech's performance, there is no easy number to review, they do their job by solving a technical problem no one could figure out and keep the client patient and happy while doing so. There is no score in the world that can keep track of such a personal accomplishment.

Consultation Agent

Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Athens, GA

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As long as your direct manager likes you, you'll love your job! It is important for a manager to back an employee's decision against an unreasonable customer, which the Geek Squad (and most of the current store managers) currently does. Best Buy in general is a lot of fun to work for, as long as you show up to work. They are (mostly) very supportive of their employees and congratulate them when they find other job opportunities to further their career, rather than take it personally. The management is generally very approachable when there is a problem or concern. If you want to move up in the company and are willing to work for it, they are very supportive in helping you get there. Also, the employee discount and vendor perks are pretty awesome!

Cons

Pay leaves a lot to be desired. Time off can be a pain to get approved (depending on your manager) as the system to request is archaic and you never know until the last minute if you got it. Thankfully, other employees are generally willing to switch or pick up shifts. While working in any retail, you can forget ever getting time off around the holidays. Thankfully, Best Buy didn't force people to work on Thanksgiving (instead took volunteers), so hopefully that continues.. although I would rather see them refuse to open on Thanksgiving in the first place.

Continue to be approachable. If your employees trust you and enjoy working for you, they are more likely to work harder and stay with the company. Stop playing favorites.

Good pay

Former Employee - Geek Squad CIA in West Simsbury, CT
    Former Employee - Geek Squad CIA in West Simsbury, CT

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay
    Laid back
    Good employees
    Good room for improvement

Cons

Selling product on floor
    Uptight management
    Horrible associate rotation
    Random hours/Early Sunday meetings

Techs are not sales people. 90% of us are introverts and it's counter productive to put us in awkward social situations where you have to cram a product down someone's throat along with 57 addons and a service plan you know the customer doesn't need.

Consultation Agent

Current Employee - Consultation Agent in Beaumont, TX
    Current Employee - Consultation Agent in Beaumont, TX

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like troubleshooting, this job could be for you. Learning to handle the customers, some of whom have unrealistic expectations with regard to warranties and insurance plans, is easy. After a year or so you will get to the point that you solve most cases before the client even opens the computer. For computer-savvy college students regardless of major, this is the place to work

Cons

Disregard anything said about what is allowed and what isn't when dealing with a client's issue. Even if you've been told a hundred times, for instance, not to take in phones that are in pieces, a manager will override it every time. Don't count on getting a raise.

Trust your employees or move them. Don't micromanage. An employee worth their wages will call you if they need something.

ARA

Current Employee - ARA in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - ARA in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy, fun, experience builder new technology

Cons

Stress work load hours client respect

relax

Good for when you're in school

Former Employee - PC Double Agent in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - PC Double Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexible hours, plenty of hands on time with technology if you have the right job title, develop excellent soft skills that will be valuable later in your career. Generally a fun place to work and they provided training on new technology as well as technical training for PC repair.

Cons

retail, retail, it's retail. Don't really make a lot of money considering the amount of knowledge you need. Usually was under pressure from management to sell more. Not working a set schedule can make things tough on the family.

Geek Squad Photos