Geek Squad Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
3.4

Geek Squad CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • The 401k is great and I don't know of any better employee discount than Best Buy's (in 23 reviews)

• You learn a lot about technology everyday even if you already know a bunch (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I was working part time and had full time hours without the (in 9 reviews)

• The customers make or break the job, just like any other customer service job though (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent career starter for college student

Current Employee - Covert Agent
    Current Employee - Covert Agent

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment. Excellent benefits for full time employees. Amazing resources available to employees who are willing to take control of their own development. Strong culture among employees makes work enjoyable.

Cons

Lack of set schedule can be difficult for effective work/life balance. Leadership generally lacking in quality and engagement. Pay is severely lacking when compared with other companies in the IT sector.

One of the best experience gaining positions you can find.

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working in Geek Squad gives you an immense experience gain in customer service, troubleshooting computers both in person, over the phone, and depending on the position remotely as well. The pay isn't terrible, and the scheduling is flexible with the right management.

Cons

People have unreal expectations for what you can and can't do for them and you can easily feel like your pay is just enough to keep you around.

When hiring new people to work in the Geek Squad precincts, it's incredibly important to try and find people with the best of attitudes who can get along with anyone. Spending 8 hours a day around just one person that doesn't get along with one other agent in the precinct brings morale down faster than anything. The Best Buy and Geek Squad motto's of "Having fun while being the best," and "Accuracy and Swiftness," should be held to a higher standard.

I work in a highly paced, client driven work environment. New technically challenges of every level are a constant feat.

Current Employee - CIA Senior in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - CIA Senior in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with Geek Squad is like a networking hub, you meet new and amazing people of all friends and industries everyday. You never know if you are meeting your new best friend, or even saving someones career. You are always looking for a new challenge, and a new problem to fix, and sporting a fancy uniform and badge all in the same day. If you are looking to spreads your wings and learn the true experience of IT support, than Geek Squad is the way to go.

Cons

There are not many positions in Geek Squad, and the pay is limited unless you move away from technical to a management focus. It is not the fault of the company, but the way the business works. You are a company driven based on the services you as an individual sale, so you are constantly in the position to either sacrifice solution for profit, or the opposite. If you cannot make these leadership based decision and create personal growth, you may soon find frustration with your work.

My advise to the leadership in Geek Squad is to compensate and appreciate your techs, though they are not sales men and it is easy to track the successful performance of a salesman. You must pay close attention to a tech's performance, there is no easy number to review, they do their job by solving a technical problem no one could figure out and keep the client patient and happy while doing so. There is no score in the world that can keep track of such a personal accomplishment.

Geek Squad Supervisor (DCI)

Current Employee - Geek Squad Deputy of Counter Intelligence
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Deputy of Counter Intelligence

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, unique way of providing tech support and lots of opportunities for growth. Sure, you will hear horror stories about people's experiences with Geek Squad, but they are isolated employees who didn't follow our pledges or take pride in probably anything they did in their life. I worked at three different locations and managed my own, each one brought new friends for life,, more IT knowledge, and a great satisfaction in my work. Geek Squad promotes a positive, passionate, fun working environment that you be your geeky self, get paid decently, and fix stuff.

Cons

Best Buy still, and probably will always, treat Geek Squad like a red headed step child it still doesn't know what to do with. It messes with it's concept constantly, has done more harm than good for the brand recently, and just in general shows no respect towards the agents or the leadership of the precinct. Best Buy is retail, and they want Geek Squad to sell, sell, sell. If you can deal with that, you'll be just fine. Also, the higher you go, the less support and less ethically legit people become. (Strictly Best Buy). Where to become a leader of Geek Squad, you have to do know what your doing and gain the respect of others, to be a Blue Shirt manager, you just have to polictically or socially have something on someone in order to advance. This might sound incredulous, and it is. Which is why when I figured this out, I left.

Best Buy has a lot of great benefits on paper-but management completely disreguards them and finds ways not to abide by them. The GM can do whatever they want with no repercussions; the company will go out of the their way to make you feel like you have a voice and are valued, but at the end of day, the GM is King, and you're just another blue shirt. It's almost like a modern day feudal system (medieval government style of organization) where how popular and well connected you are gets you everything. lol, it's insane! The rest of management is too afraid of being "unpopular" and will ignore wrong and bad employees because they are all terrified of loosing their jobs. Zero accoutabilty.

Consultation Agent

Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Athens, GA

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As long as your direct manager likes you, you'll love your job! It is important for a manager to back an employee's decision against an unreasonable customer, which the Geek Squad (and most of the current store managers) currently does. Best Buy in general is a lot of fun to work for, as long as you show up to work. They are (mostly) very supportive of their employees and congratulate them when they find other job opportunities to further their career, rather than take it personally. The management is generally very approachable when there is a problem or concern. If you want to move up in the company and are willing to work for it, they are very supportive in helping you get there. Also, the employee discount and vendor perks are pretty awesome!

Cons

Pay leaves a lot to be desired. Time off can be a pain to get approved (depending on your manager) as the system to request is archaic and you never know until the last minute if you got it. Thankfully, other employees are generally willing to switch or pick up shifts. While working in any retail, you can forget ever getting time off around the holidays. Thankfully, Best Buy didn't force people to work on Thanksgiving (instead took volunteers), so hopefully that continues.. although I would rather see them refuse to open on Thanksgiving in the first place.

Continue to be approachable. If your employees trust you and enjoy working for you, they are more likely to work harder and stay with the company. Stop playing favorites.

Sometimes too focused on sales rather than building clients

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Fultondale, AL
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Fultondale, AL

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Looks good on resume; good experience both sales and repairs

Cons

Retail... have to deal with general public too much. Get blamed for incompetence at Geek Squad City

Pay repair technicians what they deserve

Cia

Current Employee - Counter Intelligence Agent in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Counter Intelligence Agent in New York, NY

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work place if you want to start in it or customer service

Cons

Not enough pay for the work being done

Good to get experience, but bad for a long term career.

Current Employee - Consultation Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultation Agent in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Better pay compared to other retail positions, and less stress in some respects. It can teach you multitasking and how to spin a message like a champ. For the most part, your Precinct becomes your family. They will keep you going when the going gets tough. Getting full time also helps on that front.

Cons

One of the most stressful positions in the store with regards to the average client interaction. Depending on your location, you may find yourself under the microscope a lot more than with other jobs. Even in the Geek Squad your $$/hr sales rate and branded payment count are recorded and noted. People who don't perform well enough get laterally transitioned out. NOT a lot of room to go up the ranks, as there is only part time, full time, then DCI for the most part. Not to mention that OA's get paid less than CA's get paid less than ARA's.

Try to remember that Geek Squad is about balance. The first Precinct I worked at was the best one, as our DCI was an absolute gem. Was laid back and while enforcement of policy wasn't required, we strove to make sure to live up to expectations. The result? A well-balanced Precinct that would consistently be in the top 100 in the company, and often would compete for top 10. The one I work for currently is almost 100% sales oriented. Sales? Top in the district. Turn time and NPS? Bottom of the district by light years.

The problem with Geek Squad is Best Buy

Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent
    Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

First, I did enjoy my time at Geek Squad, however it was not because of Best Buy, it was because of my fellow Agents and the subculture that existed. Best Buy has been accommodating with my schedule. I had the opportunity to greatly enhance my skills during my time at Geek Squad. The IT skills and methods I gained are invaluable. I also had the opportunity to gain significant soft skills while working directly with clients in a tough market. While I definitely have some bitterness toward the store I worked at, I do have fondness for Geek Squad and will miss being an Agent. This can be a great job, just not at the store I worked at.

Cons

Again, the problem with Geek Squad is Best Buy, management does not know how to run this side of the business and it gets worse every year. Promotion is exceptional difficult due to slow company growth. Also for the skills I have and the work I was expected to do on a daily basis, we are severely underpaid. I have dealt with poor management, with bad decisions ranging from discrimination, undercutting hiring to make up for high shrink, unethical sales practices, and theft cover ups. Policy is not followed by management and if it is questioned, employees are written up for insubordination. I also feel that I ran into discrimination for my service with the armed forces reserve. I had to initiate legal action in order to receive the part of the benefits I was due. I never did receive the full benefits nor did I receive the raises I was due. I was also denied promotion and awards and was written up against policy. I kept documentation and presented the situation to corporate HR and was told there was nothing they could do.

Learn Geek Squad. They will add more valuable and can add more to your P&L than any sales team ever could. Read the little orange book and be open with your DCIs they likely know more than you ever will about Geek Squad. Take some management classes. There has been a recent trend of pushing promotions for top performers even if they have no leadership skills. this is leading to managers that have no idea how to run a department and kills employee development. I have had five GMs four of them severely abuse their power, you are driving away quality employees. We will lose all of our best agents in the coming months and the reason we are not staying is because we can not stand the management team. I would absolutely have stayed on part time if the management team was even mediocre but they are detrimental and even hostile if you are not in their club.

Stepping Stone....

Former Employee - Geek Squad Deputy of Counter Intelligence in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Geek Squad Deputy of Counter Intelligence in Joliet, IL

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, 401k, Employee stock purchase discount, employee store discount, and health benefits are decent.. You do learn allot of business, and sale skills. Technical skills are appreciated but not required. There is allot of on site training, and automated tools which help get computers repaired. School reimbursement program. Good people, easy to develop long term relationships. Young staff, full of knowledge!

Cons

My personal opinion from experience, is that its not so much what you know but who you know. Or if you are self driven and do anything possible step on anyone needed to be recognized then you will grow quickly. Working for the company for 10 years, trying to be the hardest working employee. Didn't seem to matter much until I developed relationships with leadership that even though I felt I was doing most of their work, it was the only way to join them and become member of leadership. If you are looking for help desk, look into remote support, and or in home services. If not get ready to provide allot of customer service, upscale, and resolve customer issues. Be clear when communicating and don't over promise unless you are the specific agent working on the customers product, for you will see the lack of training by leadership with your team will not allow you to be able to relay and trust on you team to get the job done. You will see leadership mainly on their phones, or away from the floor, and how the average age of the staff is between 16-25, there will be allot of poor work ethics and values. So make sure to cross your T's and Dot your I's to make sure you are not punished due to somebody else lack of work. Allot of restructure, all new policies to increase performance are just additional work, and modifications to what you company has done for years just named something new. It was a great stepping stone, but not a company that you can make a career out of unless you seek to become management or contributor of the corporate level. Awful schedule, don't plan on spending any holidays with your family, and make sure to plan out your vacations well in advance but not during black out periods. Say good bye to your weekends. Be prepared to work, clopens!

Train, follow up, and develop employees. Don't just have them do e-learning and expect them to know everything. Know the business, especially in the IT field. If you don't have the slightest idea of computers or computer repair, do not manage this department because it cannot be managed as a sales floor department. Staff properly and in down times don't allow for employees to just stand around and do anything. Put them to work, this is why millions of dollars are being lost, and customers don't want to spend their hard earn money when people aren't working for it. Stay off your phones, or at least don't expect your employees to be off of them if they see you on them. Don't allow for the employees to be in the back watching you tube or videos meanwhile employees out front attending customers are hard at work and struggling and wont receive help from the back because they feel it is not in their job description because you enforce the rule that the "computer repair" technicians shouldn't be pulled to help the agents in the front. Take care of the customer, they are the ones that pay for your pay check. Make sure you keep them in the loop and communicated, they hate it when they have to call to check progress, and also don't over promise and train your team to never over promise, but instead over deliver.Try to approve more request time off, and shift trades as long as business needs are met. Also make sure there is enough personal to take care of employees, not only on the days you work because you don't want to deal with the customers. Ive met allot of good leaders, but met more bad ones.

Geek Squad Photos