Geek Squad

Updated November 23, 2014
3.4

Geek Squad CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • The 401k is great and I don't know of any better employee discount than Best Buy's (in 24 reviews)

• You learn a lot about technology everyday even if you already know a bunch (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The schedule is not very flexible for full-time employees in college or who have families (in 9 reviews)

• The customers make or break the job, just like any other customer service job though (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good entry level computer experience, but a lot of customer service and retail mixed in

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Portland, OR

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good hands on experience with computers and technology for students or entry level workers. Nice culture. Good support if with a good store/management. Flexible scheduling. Nice coworkers generally.

Cons

Entitled customers, lots of distractions from fixing computers, sales heavy environment, low pay compared to some better paid internships

Give more incentive for better techs to stick around. Pay needs to be comparable to legitimate help desk jobs, unless you want to simply take advantage of the young and desperate newbies.

Best Buy/ Geek Squad

Current Employee - Home Theater Installer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Home Theater Installer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Depending on who is above you it can make or break the experience. My manager is great and always tries to give us our requested time off.

Cons

They can over work you and sometimes not listen to what needs to change.

Working at Geek Squad has given me the knowledge and skillsets for advancements in any company.

Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Vauxhall, NJ
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Vauxhall, NJ

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Developed skillsets to prepare me for a rewarding career in Information Technology.

Cons

There is opportunity for advance but there is a salary cap.

My experience with Geek Squad...

Current Employee - Double Agent Covert in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Double Agent Covert in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So far working for the Geek Squad has been great. Flexible scheduling, understanding superiors, knowledgable associates & a wonderful work environment.

Cons

Ordering of uniforms can take a while.

Continue to take in to consideration your employees and the culture will strive.

A techie position for non-techie people

Former Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You do learn some basic PC skills. By that, I mean Windows skills, and by "skills," I mean basic troubleshooting steps the average customer (general public) simply doesn't know. Part-time compensation is generally better than most entry-level tech jobs. Some opportunity to build a resumé. Employee discount is one of the best in the industry.

Cons

Management has no interest in personal growth or even effectiveness of repairs. Employees barely do anything (most work is outsourced). Staffing is very poorly scheduled across the board. Manager does no Geek Squad work at all. All about money and adhering to protocol, customer/employee happiness be darned. Practically no attention paid to Mac OS X or Apple products despite Best Buy selling + warranting them. ALL agents expected to act as "consultants" regardless of actual job description; by that I mean "salesperson," pushing a two-year contract for each and every problem when a quicker (and cheaper) fix is available that would lead to higher customer satisfaction.

Overall, the company is making some of the EXACT decisions that led to the downfall of their (now former) competitors. BBY is getting too big for its britches. Geek Squad is the only department that makes or surpasses target revenue on a consistent basis, and thus what keeps BBY afloat. Agents are treated like salespeople or worse. Management has NO interest in accommodating individual needs or even in listening to or understanding employee complaints. Agents are blamed for everything regardless of their performance, and consequences affect the ENTIRE precinct staff.

I would suggest the management also read up on the ADA and various other workers' rights, as nobody from the DCI to the GM to the DSM seems to be quite clear on what is and isn't LEGAL to ask or even expect of a voluntarily-contracted employee!

Beginning was great and had much potential to offer. Too bad management was a joke. Store 260

Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-I loved the vibe of the work-space.
    -All of the other agents in the precinct were good co-workers.
    -Got to work on random electronics that wondered in the Best Buy.

Cons

The management flopped pretty quick.
    -Wouldn't work with school schedule because they were too understaffed.
    -Promised raises upon hire, but people who worked there for 3 years hardly hit their cap.
    -The GM was shady, and followed me out of the store multiple times (even with my family) for no reason.
    -Wouldn't give me tuition reimbursement.

Trust your employees. Stand behind your word and character. Hire the correct amount staff needed to support your positions.

CA

Current Employee - CA Customer Adviser in Oceanside, CA
    Current Employee - CA Customer Adviser in Oceanside, CA

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fun staff, easy to work with

Cons

terrible higher management. Terrible ways to make you work better. Bad incentives

Good place for a starting experience

Current Employee - Geek Squad CIA in Port Arthur, TX
    Current Employee - Geek Squad CIA in Port Arthur, TX

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you take the time to learn. You can learn a lot about troubleshooting and fixing computers. Which can build your experience for the future.

Cons

They expect you to do everything. From fixing computer, online orders, learn to sell every product in the store,returns,stocking, and other stuff.

Learn to be reasonable with the employees and not treat us like expendables.

Horrible work place

Former Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Able to learn a lot about malware removal, and physical repair of many laptops and iPhones.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities.

Unobtainable goals were constantly demanded of underpaid and over worked employees.

No accountability of the senior employee's lack of work completed.

As there are limited opportunities for an employee to advance to a higher position within the building pay raises would go a long way to increasing employee job satisfaction.

Good but it gets tedious quickly

Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to gain some computer repair experience with, you deal with a wide variety of issues.

Cons

Not much in the way of growth, management oftentimes doesnt know much about computer repair, will oftentimes push sales over providing good technical support.

Learn about computers before you try to boss your technicians around like you can the rest of the store.

Geek Squad Photos