Geek Squad Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Cura et Celeritas

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome - Love working here! Great employer!

Cons

Nope - nothing bad to say here!

2. Operations Agent

Current Employee - Operations Agent in Montgomeryville, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Agent in Montgomeryville, PA

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with great people, love my coworkers. Which is likely the only reason I've invested as much in the company as I have.

Cons

The company itself. Best Buy abuses it's employees. In my time here I've seen benefits coke and go, hours get more and more brutal Expectations for what an employee should do continually increase, regardless of what your job code actually states. Overall very poor rating for Best Buy.

Advice to Management

Minimum pay increase, quit stripping benefits at your whim, and staff enough people. I feel lied to, abused and cheated from time at Best Buy. All of these are likely reasons why Best Buy's employee turnover rate is over 70%

3. Good foot in the door for IT

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Montclair, CA
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Montclair, CA

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (More than a year)

Pros

High school like environment (laid back and very social co-workers), great tools and resources to do your job effectively, great IT experience and a good way to get your foot in the door, most management are understanding when it comes to availability. You definitely are able to get promoted within this company if you try. It may not be at your own location but the internal job posting board is a great resource. I was able to be promoted from a on the floor sales consultant, to CA, to ARA within 1 year. Generally great culture based on two locations I've worked at. GS is now my second job and I'm honestly only staying for the discount.

Cons

High school like environment, angry clients (which is to be expected in a technical retail service job), often times unrealistic goals and expectations (does vary by location), not much room for advancement past being a full time Advanced Repair Agent unless you get an opportunity at a service center, be a Double Agent, or be part of management. Often times you feel like you should get paid much more due to the amount of work and people you have to deal with.

Advice to Management

Train associates on selling services, and put a big focus on that for new hires. Most issues at GS are due to negligent selling skills and clients being misinformed on what GS does.

5. In a den of geeks

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really fun culture. Can sometimes take itself too seriously, but you don't have to be a super-geek to fit in. Worked part time during school and managers were great about helping me out with schedule issues. Great college job with plenty of opportunities afterwards.

Cons

The Geek thing can get a little old, but not everyone that works there just goes home and watches anime. You'll find plenty of people you like!

Advice to Management

Always treated me well, but were sometimes too lax on the lazier employees that consistently failed to meet quotas.

6. Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Geek Squad Autotech in Oceanside, CA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Autotech in Oceanside, CA

I have been working at Geek Squad

Pros

Extremely flexible with time off and switching around availability. Great work atmosphere. I really enjoyed working with everyone else in the store.

Cons

Management likes to feel like they own you sometimes.

7. Consultation Agent

Current Employee - Consultation Agent in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Consultation Agent in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, get to work with latest technology

Cons

Job is a sales position, pay too low

CIA

Current Employee - Geek Squad CIA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad CIA

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time

Pros

Great staff at my location

Cons

Beginning to be more focused on making money and not quality of service

9. PC Double Agent

Current Employee - PC Double Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - PC Double Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Independent workforce can go weeks at a time without seeing boss. They pay can be very good if you move up, especially in a field position The company allows you to network and create work for yourself as long as it is within the company The experience is amazing and really gets someone ready for most larger company support jobs.

Cons

The systems are broken, the scheduling software is 8 years old The in store associates, agents and dispatch agents have unrealistic expectations sometimes of what we can do in a limited amount of time and are not upfront or don't know about prices. Clients are given an expectation that we will fix all there problems in a 1 1/2 hour trip, which is typically not the case and they need to be informed of this before hand. Turnover with management is high, which is very discouraging. There is not much incentive to move in management roles Medical benefits are bad if you have a family

Advice to Management

Give us stability and a reason to stay, alot of us love our job but there are many places that just offer better wages and benefits. Give us incentive to move up, instead of instilling fear that we might not have a job if we do. Revamp are systems and fix broken practices. Train support and sales on what we do and what expectations to set.

10. Great Entry Level Job

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company really relies on teamwork and the experience helps sharpen social skills, both with clients and fellow employees. The "Geek Squad" culture is actually quite interesting as well. Agents are very careful of their work and actually care for the customer. Great place to learn how a store as big as Best Buy works, as well as to learn how computer technicians work. The job is actually pretty easy if you are good with people. More technical agent are in the back actually doing the repairing, while others handle paperwork. If you learn how to do all three jobs properly, there is plenty of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Geek Squad management isn't always the best. For the most part, Geek Squad managers are hired from within the store (Best Buy) and most are focused on the business aspect of the job. Even though the agents have knowledge on how to repair devices, they are not allowed to fix anything unless there is a service plan attached to the device. This causes a lot of negativity towards Geek Squad since people want things done free. There is usually some kind of problem with clients due to this fact. That side of the job is pretty nasty. Also, most of your basic lessons that you will receive are done on a computer. There will be about 75 lessons and they must all be completed before you can begin to work. You usually have 2-3 days to do them all. They are EXTREMELY boring.

Advice to Management

Understand that the client comes first, but that the business side of the job is just as important. Be prepared to be called up to the counter every so often due to a client not wanting to pay to get their device fixed. Also, expired service plans cause a lot of issues.

11. Assistant manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, NY

I worked at Geek Squad (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hands on work and customer service

Cons

Don't really teach you to be a technical

Advice to Management

Don't overlook the dept. a lot of money.

RSS Feed </> Embed