www.geeksquad.com
Profile Unclaimed

Not paid enough for the amount of work preformed

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked at two different locations. I love to help people, fix problems, computers, debug etc and I loved the feeling I received after helping someone fix their device.

Cons

Not paid enough. If the pay was much better I would've enjoyed staying longer. Training online is inefficient and most of the problems are common sense. Your computer doesn't turn on? Did you push the power button etc. Most customers were very rude and blamed me for their problems. For every four good customers I helped, I'd have one crazy person who would yell and cause extra problems.

Nice First Step in Technical Support Industry

Current Employee - Consultation Agent
    Current Employee - Consultation Agent

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy Entry Level, Not a Huge Need for Prior Experience, Fun Coworkers (At my Precinct at least), Amazing Discount

Cons

Still "technically" retail, GROSSLY under-paid for work performed, Managers who aren't "Geek Squad" have no clue what you actually do or what you're abilities are

Geek Squad Management ranges from "Awesome" to "WAY too serious." Overall, good enough.
    BEST BUY MANAGEMENT is meh, could definitely learn a thing or two from the way Geek Squad handles situations and does business.

Greed Squad

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A paycheck, and a day off.

Cons

con in advice to management

We don't actually fix computers we restore them all.

We don't actually educate customers on anything related to our services. Instead we keep them ignorant to exploit them for money.

We have 15 minutes or less to diag a machine, process it through nova, and explain it all to customers with no computer experince. (and every page in nova takes forever to process through). Most of the time the process takes a lot longer, because of all the questions and answers that go on and on. And since most customers never bring in their damn GSP numbers we'll spend time looking up your entire purchase history based on your phone number that you had when you first started to shop at bestbuy. Then painfully look through all purchases until you find the correct model number/sku that matches the device, and then go through the gsps until you find one with the correct sku. Not to mention if they have total insurance you have to look up their ADH notate that and then look up their Geek Squad tech service.

If your product wasn't purchased at best buy we are forced to look up a perfect matching sku that reflects your acutal machine.

We are not supposed to be pressured to make goals, but we spend every day stressed out about hours and keeping our hours.

We actually see our clients as cash cows, so as soon as you sit down in our bay we are forced to try and sell you GeekSquad Tech Support plans, or the best buy credit card to buy geek squad services.

Clients information may be incorrect in the data base for over 9000 years, even if you do correct it, it will default back to the unchanged version. Causeing client distress, worry and concerne for no reason.

Every single time you mess up, you will know, others will begin to aviod you if you mess up too much, and other techs will not take on jobs with your name on it.

Instead they will leave it alone for a long time and blame you for not starting the unit right away, even though some days that is impossible to accomplish.

Additionally because Geek Squad has expanded all over the place. So taht the only people that recieve any praise are usually members of the geek squad car stereo install bay.

It is a job during college that expands my experience working in a team environment, while keeping tech experience fresh

Current Employee - Counter Agent in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Counter Agent in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment with mentally stimulating work.

Cons

Customers consist of the computer-illiterate, and more often than not are disgruntled. Expect to be required to give bad news most of the time.

Nice college job

Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management is very understanding and really works with your schedule. It's good exposure to kind of "stay in the game" as far as computer troubleshooting.

Cons

You have sales goals that are challenging, but not impossible.

Reduce the cost of services. It's already advertised as the cheapest among the competition, but I believe dropping the price a bit more would increase sales.

I worked at Geek Squad

Pros

good place to learn about PC

Cons

the salary is not proportional to the job ( its unfair salary)

Geek Squad Operations Agent

Current Employee - Operations Agent in Atascocita, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Agent in Atascocita, TX

I have been working at Geek Squad

Pros

I work with a good group of guys, nice working environment there is always something new in the I.T. field

Cons

They only offered me a part-time position with no benefits

Consultation Agent

Current Employee - Consultation Agent in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Consultation Agent in Plano, TX

I have been working at Geek Squad

Pros

The discount at Best Buy is pretty good. I know at the Plano store the people really know what they are doing.

Cons

There are many responsibilities to understand.

Geek Squad is big on integrity. Make sure if you have issues to get them taken care of before they become overwhelming.

Could be much, much better

Former Employee - Consultation Agent in D'Iberville, MS
    Former Employee - Consultation Agent in D'Iberville, MS

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This job can be very rewarding if you like to help people, solve problems and enjoy a lot of different interactions.

Cons

The pay is pretty poor, the training is bit of a joke and a lot of the processes involved are unneccessarily complex.

Increase pay! Geek Squad is quite profitable and would be even more so if the employees were paid a more competitive wage. Turnover is high due to the pay.

Review

I worked at Geek Squad

Pros

Experience and mostly a sales position.

Cons

Just as much a sales position as it is troubleshooting/consultation.

Higher more mature employees.

Geek Squad Photos