Geek Squad Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.4

Geek Squad CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • The 401k is great and I don't know of any better employee discount than Best Buy's (in 17 reviews)

• And you can learn A LOT from a good team of agents (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited full time positions (in 7 reviews)

• Management pushes sales over good customer service or even good repairs (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Consultation Agent

Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with computers everyday, the knowledge of my fellow agents helped me out with my personal projects, discount @ best buy, the geek squad following/community is very family-esque

Cons

Getting yelled at on a daily basis from clients, blaming us can definitely take a toll

I loved the managers at my location

A starting point for IT professionals

Current Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent)  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexibility, low stress, great tools and resources

Cons

little challenge, low pay, poor upper management, retail environment

understand where geeksquad fits into your company goals

Uneducated Consultation Agents will check in any computer while selling tech support...

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount is only reason. Not any other pro I can think of.

Cons

CAs will sell tech support and check in a computer they should easily be able to fix. Selling tech support is their only concern. They will get into trouble when they don't sell enough. I see computers constantly come into the precinct, that should have been fixed without being checked in.

Hire knowledgeable Consultant Agents and quit giving the ARAs more work to do because of incompetent workers only trying to sell tech support.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

geek squad

I have been working at Geek Squad

Pros

great company to work for. Good pay/ hours

Cons

long hours and rude customers at times

A whisper in the screaming match of retail politics.

Former Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent)  in  Langhorne, PA
    Former Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) in Langhorne, PA

I worked at Geek Squad full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours, Great discount, working in geek squad is one of the better positions in the Best Buy retail locations. I was able to continue working while attending school full time and never had an issue with it. Transferring locations was easy as well, however the culture between locations differ heavily which can be good if you didn't like your original location. It's always a safe place to work at, and stable in terms of job security, and if there is a big restructure coming down the pipe line people know about it for months before hand, so you receive ample time if you are to be concerned or not.

Cons

Expect favoritism, unless your a friend or related to someone higher up you have a slim chance of ever going anywhere. Most managers treat geek squad as a detriment not a benefit. Expect to give away everything for free, consumers don't understand electronics which is okay, but they blame you for it and expect free things due to their ignorance. Managers don't know how to deal with that expectation so they keep giving until the consumer is happy. Expect to be yelled at a lot, like a whole lot, by customers, by corporate and by managers.

Take the time to learn the difference between retail and technical service, its the difference of labor, expectation and time that doesn't seem to be grasped by clients and managers alike. Just because a client doesn't understand doesn't mean we did something wrong, they just need more time to learn what they are doing wrong so they can have an enjoyable experience with their technology. Unfortunately instead of giving us more time to work with them, you limit us to 10-15 mins and expect them to pay more for it, in return they are even more unhappy and demand more free stuff that management ultimately gives into.

High Stress, High Demand, High Opportunity, not paid what you're worth but hard to make better elsewhere

Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent
    Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent

I worked at Geek Squad full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Geek Squad is prestigious when you are in college. You're young, probably pretty skilled with tech, and you're earning an MIS degree or something. Geek Squad keeps your hands on the nitty gritty daily problems that users everywhere are dealing with. It is a place where you can develop interaction skills as well as technical skills. And you can learn A LOT from a good team of agents. How much you take away is all in your own hands. I watched employees spend their years with hands in their pockets telling jokes, and I watched guys skyrocket in abilities because they worked relentlessly. The latter secured IT jobs with firms before they even graduated and their work at GS helped.

If you love technology, you'll love the discount on all tech in the store. The day you get 60% off a $3,000 surround sound system will be the best day of your life

Cons

This is on of the highest stress, most miserable environments to work in. You will never have enough staff to handle the demand at any moment. Best Buy optimizes labor so that not a minute is wasted, and you will not have a minute to waste. Or talk. Or think. You need to be able to sooth the rabid crowd at the desk even as they stare you down with murder in their eyes. Management will never understand why everything isn't done in an instant. The store managers understand nothing about electricity, let alone electronics, so their expectations are wildly unrealistic.

The big danger is getting a bad DCI (Geek Squad Manager). The DCI makes or breaks it. If the DCI knows ALL the technology AND has tact in dealing with customers, you've got a solid leader. The second make or break is the team. Some cities hire GS teams who feel like they were drafted from the McDonalds janitorial staff, other stores hire handsome, charming, exceptionally skilled college techies and they run the place like clockwork. Find a store with the latter and you'll not only have a team that can handle the pressure but you'll end up with good friends.(for a while).

When a Geek Squad agent tells you how long a repair will take, either hardware or software, he is wrong. It will take two hours longer than that. Why? Because technology is impossibly complicated. No one can hold in their head every possible problem and possible solution. You fix things as you go and more often than not you run into new problems along the way. We are immensely skilled. In seven years I never worked for a store manager who could repair a single piece of technology, but not a single one ever understood why repairs take time.

Second hire a professional team. PAY THEM WELL ENOUGH TO ATTRACT A PROFESSIONAL TEAM. Money lures and motivates the talented. I worked for GS from 2005-2012 and as the pay became less competitive we attracted less...impressive...applicants. Sending GS agents as recruiters to local university's MIS departments is a great idea. GS is not a lifetime career (unless you stick it out to DA and even then, $45k-ish a year with no mobility upward isn't terribly attractive), so capitalize on the best you're going to get, a college student who puts in 4yrs.

It was a great learning experience and allowed me to grow my communication skills.

Former Employee - Operations Agent  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Geek Squad part-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits and the management was very lenient with scheduling.

Cons

I would often have to take over for the consultations agents outside the precinct.

Upper management was great!

Excellent place to work if you want to gain a huge amount of experience, not only computer related.

Current Employee - Operations Agent  in  Rego Park, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Agent in Rego Park, NY

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time for more than a year

Pros

The discounts and accommodations are great, they are very flexible with school, the experience you gain is amazing, pay is competitive especially for someone starting out in retail, and there is a lot of room for growth.

Cons

There are a lot of changes constantly going on with the company in which one must adapt, it can get stressful if you work in a high volume store. Remember, you are dealing with broken down computers.

Management is great in the store i work. You guys always listen to my questions and concerns. You work very closely with your employees.

A stellar company on a steady path

Current Employee - Inventory Supervisor
    Current Employee - Inventory Supervisor

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities to learn are great, and helpful outside of the building. The accommodations are generally great deals that are helpful. Many of the employees are all-in on company culture, making it as much fun as it is work.

Cons

The habit to become complacent with current ability is a death trap, and one that is edging ever closer. The goal should be to improve from our current stance, not maintain. If we can continue to grow, we will continue to thrive.

Great focus on fun, needs more focus on performance. Don't be afraid to add edge to the employee experience.

My experience was overall very good. They people were nice.

Former Employee - Adavanced Repair Agent  in  Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Adavanced Repair Agent in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Geek Squad part-time for more than a year

Pros

gained a decent knowledge of computer virus removal

Cons

Pay wasn't high enough, hours kinda stunk (having to work holiday's/black Friday)

Worked for Geek Squad? Contribute to the Community!