Geek Squad Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.4

Geek Squad CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • The 401k is great and I don't know of any better employee discount than Best Buy's (in 17 reviews)

• And you can learn A LOT from a good team of agents (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited full time positions (in 7 reviews)

• Management pushes sales over good customer service or even good repairs (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Geek Squad itself is a wonderful niche, yet constantly has to pick up the slack from Best Buy

Former Employee - Technology Education Agent  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Technology Education Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Geek Squad part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Geek Squad culture is very communal and for the most part, there is not a high turnover rate of agents. I had the opportunity to provide a lot of feedback and ideas for improvement, even speaking with corporate whom invested back in the community (Central Texas), we had great stores with an outstanding pledge for ultimate customer service. One could say we went way out of the box to help our clients. Had the opportunity to be part of a client program to educate clients on tech for free while also seeing many changes for the improvement of employees and customers, both on Best Buy and Geek Squad's part.

Cons

The bottom line is the bottom line. I was working part time and had full time hours without the full time benefits. Due to store renovations and a bit of neglect, our precinct was flooded and everyone had more work than necessary, at times I was fulfilling five different roles and pushed to hurry up at that. There is only so much a human can do to troubleshoot clients, sell services to client, resolve customer complaints, keep clients informed on updates, sell products to regular customers, teach Best Buy staff, and teach clients how to use technology, It was overwhelming.

Update computers and POS machines. Increase wages. Hire more Geek Squad agents to train. Have a more invigorating hiring process to reduce turnover.

Great for experience

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount, Co-workers are typically friendly, Flexible scheduling most of the time, the benefits are decent, great learning opportunities for anyone looking to get into an it or technology based field,

Cons

Micro Managing, Terrible management at times, unrealistic time frames or expectations, very little room to move up, it's all about who you know at best buy, low pay for work expected, the training is terrible, dealing with angry customers who believe it is your fault their 10 year old dell has a bad hard drive. Management that is willing to do anything or pretty much give anything away to make a customer satisfied.

Pay your employees more, train them a little better, do your research on what actually goes on in the precinct , learn to tell customers no or support your employees when a customer is truly wrong instead of giving them free stuff or waiving fees .

Geek Squad provides good pay and a team driven work environment but precinct positions are not for everyone

Current Employee - Counter Intelligence Agent  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Counter Intelligence Agent in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time for less than a year

Pros

Geek Squad offer good pay and decent benefits for job which requires very little or no experience. Since In-house training is required for all Geek Squad employees, those looking to start a career in IT have a good opportunity to build and expand their experience in the areas of customer service, hardware, software, troubleshooting and more. The day to day work environment is very team based and many strong friendships form within the precinct and other Best Buy departments.

Cons

Everyday Geek Squad responsibilities (for the Counter Intelligence Agent position) are very customer service focused and managing extremely irate customers is a constant ordeal. Since Geek Squad operates in a very structured, corporate fashion, Agents MUST work within SOP (standard operating procedure) limits to deal with client issues. This leaves many issues unresolved and makes customer service a constant battle to justify Geek Squad's inability to fix or rectify problems due to strict corporate protocol and the Agent's inability to work around them.

Leave more room for special-case exceptions at the precinct level. Everyday there are many unique customer problems that cannot be addressed within the constriction of SOP and, due to the limitation of authority of CIA's and DC's, creates a negative experience for clients that could be avoided IF local precincts were allowed to make more exceptions with the DC's approval.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun at first, but wears you out soon after

Current Employee - Geek Squad Cadet  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Cadet in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You work with great people for an ok/decent hourly wage if you're single. The full benefits are good too. Even though health/dental/vision comes out of your paycheck, it's still nice to have. The 401k is great and I don't know of any better employee discount than Best Buy's. Lastly, just being able to drive out and meet all kinds of different people instead of being stuck behind a desk or inside a store all day is great. I've seen more of LA than anybody and I get to see it every day.

Cons

For one, don't expect any training. Best Buy is synonymous for throwing you out to the lions and saying "Good luck, don't screw up." Second, if you have a significant other and live anywhere where the cost of living is a bit higher, you'll find it hard to stay afloat. Most of my colleagues are in pretty rough spots. While the pay is ok, it's still less than what other companies pay for an "IT specialist." Third, you'll be working for a company that is trying desperately to reinvigorate itself and its image. Fourth, while you will be out in the field, you'll also be stuck in a vehicle for a greater portion of the day in traffic. This gets old very quickly. Fifth, kiss your life goodbye. By the time you get home, you won't want to do anything but rest. At one point, my wife complained that she never saw me due to the overtime I had to put in to get all of our jobs done. Lastly, it's incredibly difficult to move up in the company. It took me almost 5 years to go from the store position to this field position. It's all about who you know.

Good place to work

I have been working at Geek Squad

Pros

Nice benefits and decent pay.

Cons

Individual experience depends on store management.

Consistent employee experience. Remove some control from the GM

Best position at Best Buy, but still not that great

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As an ARA you have limited customer facing time, you primarily concentrate on computer repair

Cons

Best Buy micro manages its employees to death. They have failed to realize that they need to hire talent and then let them do their thing.

Pay your top performers better and stop micro managing everybody.

CA

I have been working at Geek Squad

Pros

If you like trouble shooting and helping people understand their computer and their computer problems this is the job for you.

Cons

Hope to god you have competent management and don't mind being shouted at

Please have more than a basic understanding of the precinct

Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent)
    Current Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent)

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Room to grow
    Great tools and resources to learn from (forums, eLearnings, other Agents)
    Good community and culture to grow in, if you have the right people (I do)
    Experience weird problems and getting to (hopefully) fix them!

Cons

Giving assistance to other departments, because when you get busy, no other department will come and help get computers fixed faster..

For the stores that make Geek Squad Agents help out other departments, STOP! We know it seems like we're just hanging out at the precinct, but we're also working while we do it.

Fun great learning experience

Current Employee - Consultation Agent  in  Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Consultation Agent in Flint, MI

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Getting experience working with the public and computers. The tainting is also very extensive!

Cons

Having to deal with some frustrated impatient clientele who sometimes know very little about what they are doing

Amazing

Current Employee - Consultation Agent  in  Miami Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Consultation Agent in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people to work with. Helping people with their computer needs.

Cons

Pay and irrational people at times.

Pay your agents better and you will see better results.

Worked for Geek Squad? Contribute to the Community!