www.geeksquad.com

Updated November 23, 2014
3.4

Geek Squad CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • The 401k is great and I don't know of any better employee discount than Best Buy's (in 23 reviews)

• You learn a lot about technology everyday even if you already know a bunch (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The schedule is not very flexible for full-time employees in college or who have families (in 9 reviews)

• The customers make or break the job, just like any other customer service job though (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Constrained by customer service policy red tape, but great learning experience

Former Employee - Consultation Agent in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Consultation Agent in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers were very knowledgable and always eager to learn about emerging technologies
    Lots of opportunity for online learning to improve personal knowledge base
    Good checks and balances within store management
    Fair compensation for experience coming into position
    Tuition reimbursement

Cons

Company bureaucracy slowed down our direct ability to improve customer experience
    Conflicting values of profit vs positive customer reviews

Be available for conflict resolution when customers demand manager

Great Experience Ruined By Corporate Initiative

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Super Senior CIA in Brooks, KY
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Super Senior CIA in Brooks, KY

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture and atmosphere at Geek Squad is wonderful. If you enjoy electronic entertainment or live the geek lifestyle, you will love the culture. As one employee put it, "It's like all my people gathered in one place and no one ever told me." The pay is fair, and opportunities for promotion are good. The employee discounts are also really good.

Cons

The corporate side of Best Buy is destroying what Geek Squad was created to be. The ability to thrive on creativity and develop talent in the culture is being run out by quota and profit. Geeks are not forced to be salespersons instead of helpful resources for customers. The brand has turned from a service to a sales machine. The the culture is being squashed by the laws of corporation. Geeks tend to be individuals who don't fit into a particular mold, yet the corporate culture is weeding out the true geeks and replacing them with them with the corporate "personality" types who have little applicable knowledge of electronics.

Let the Geeks be geeks. Pull back on the profit reigns before you kill the brand. Customers are starting to see through it. They don't see the friendly geek anymore, they see the black tie coming to up-sell them, and the loathe it. They also see the drop in helpfulness from the expertise of the Geek to it now being someone with black rimmed glassed and too much hair gel that knows little more than they do. The service is dying, and only sales remain. The internet will kill you if you don't let the service become the forefront of this portion of you business again.

Challenging but rewarding.

Current Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) in Houston, TX

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture in which to be a part. Flexible hours. Character-growing and skill-building job. Very team-oriented environment. Compensated fairly, and slack is made up with stellar accommodations. There is a lot of room for individual growth, as the environment demands executive decisions on-the-fly.

Cons

Clientele will get testy. Raises are annual and minuscule. Room for advancement within the company seems to be getting smaller as the years go on.

Worst Job EVER

Current Employee - Covert Agent
    Current Employee - Covert Agent

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None, other than being able to work from home

Cons

They dont provide functional tools
    They just crack the whip and want more more more regardless of how the client is treated
    You are no longer a human, just a number
    They dont care about your home/work life balance, DCOs and Commanders are salary and can work whatever so the horrible scheduling does not effect them so they are not doing anything to fix the issue

Listen to your employees, stop letting people who DO NOT work the queue or take connects to dispatch make the rules. STOP hiring DCO's just because they may have been a Tablet supe, they have no idea what they are doing.

Most importantly, If you treat your employees as disposable then your clients/customers will also become disposable. Constantly telling your employees they need to perform better and cracking the whip on people who are stressed out is not going to keep your staff. Take a good look and see how many talented people you have lost just in 2014. How many more are you willing to lose?

Former Employee - Geek Squad CIA in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Geek Squad CIA in Norman, OK

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty chill environment, crazy discounts on house brand stuff

Cons

Difficult to move up even if you know what you're doing.

Use your employees to their full potential and pay accordingly

Geeksquad has a lot of ups to it, I really like the people that I work with and that's what keeps me going.

Current Employee - Operations Agent in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Operations Agent in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount is nice, the people at my store for the most part are pretty nice, and if you're into the job you apply for then you'll really enjoy what you're doing most of the time.

Cons

The organization of the precinct could use a lot of work. Corporate is constantly changing how things work and the discontinuity is a little stressful especially for (my store especially) their target demographic (college students).

Make what you say continuous with our store policies. It's annoying and disgraceful for us to have company policies that employees are expecting to follow/enforce but have management come behind the employees and completely ignore everything the company stands for.

Completely downhill after Best Buy managed to oust Robert Stevens

Former Employee - Everything You Name IT
    Former Employee - Everything You Name IT

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you have a good manager who believes in you and believes in Geek Squad, you will have a good experience. Otherwise, forget it

Cons

Best Buy did what they do *best*: buy something great and don't let up until they completely ruin it for everyone. Nine years ago when I started at Geek Squad I was amazed to find a home. A place where our Geeky souls could thrive. Robert Stevens was our Chief Inspector and fearless leader. Over the following years, Best Buy pushed and pushed until they got him out of Geek Squad and "promoted" him to some I.T. position, and then finally, he left.

With Robert Stevens out of the picture, the brightest and best quickly followed, and Best Buy sunk its greedy teeth in. It sees Geek Squad as nothing more than a cash cow to be milked until nothing is left.

The proud and noble Geek Squad of years past is gone. What remains is barely a shell of its prior greatness; a black and orange remnant of former glory. "Remade" until it is past all recognition. Altered, bled of all the culture and fine ideals that made it so great.

The Geek Squad Double Agents are almost extinct. Like the great Jedi, theirs is a dying breed. All but wiped out by the evil empire, is there none to save the dying Brand? Our Geek Squad? Or are these truly the final death rattles?

Could be fun for some, nightmare for others

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You learn a lot about computer repairs and troubleshooting. Job keeps you up to date with technology. Some great employee discounts and accommodations. Monthly and quarterly bonus if goals are met. Company has made some great changes to stay in business.

Cons

Customers are absolutely awful. Some are just extremely rude. The job would be 10 times better if it were not for the customers. Also not given sufficient tools to do the job. Your success HIGHLY depends on your fellow workers, some work hard, some are just terrible. Do some research, some stores are much better than others.

Don't put anyone in charge if they have not held the position(s) they are managing. For example, do not hire a geek squad supervisor who knows nothing about geek squad, computer repair, etc.

Busy work environment, be prepared to troubleshoot and explain solutions thoroughly...Very thoroughly. Overall good exp

Former Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in North Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in North Little Rock, AR

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (less than an year)

Pros

gain knowledge on every brand of PC, develop a strong and positive rapport with clients - great for networking!, share ideas with co-workers & gain insight about tech products they may use.

Cons

office moral and cohesion were lackluster, people brought their personal drama to work on a daily basis, no upgrade training or promotion development plan in place - kind of stay stagnant in whatever position you're hired on as.

N/A. They take advice as they see fit.

Extremely Underappreciated

Former Employee - Technology Education Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Technology Education Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn many different things regarding the technology field, Best Buy Discount.

Cons

Management is complete clueless of the position, they change the whole aspect of the position, and then they go back at what it was. They want Tech people to get profit instead of helping in the Technology learning.

Definitely Management need to know that the T.E.A position is valuable and start respecting the position, it builds customer service and customer service brings profit.

Geek Squad Photos