Geek Squad Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
358 reviews filtered by

1. Great People, Good Pay

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co workers great to get along with. Job gives a sense of satisfaction. Pay is good and it is also a good environment to be in.

Cons

Sometimes things can get boring just like any other job. Not really that many cons. Overall a pretty good job, especially for starting a career in Computer related fields.

2. It's alright

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent

I have been working at Geek Squad

Pros

Simple
    can be fun
    great discount

Cons

Over expectations from management
    pay is not competitive
    managers don't understand what we do

Pay us better and learn what it takes to do our job

3. Best Company I've Worked For

Former Employee - Corporate Agent in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Corporate Agent in Richfield, MN

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Environment
    Culture
    Co-workers
    Personal Growth
    Employee Discount
    Advancement Opportunities
    Great training curriculum
    Great food at corporate office
    Chance for outings with co-workers
    Good PTO

Cons

Communication sometimes lacking.
    Discount doesn't always make up for lower pay scale.

Beef up inter-department communication.

5. Pretty Decent

I have been working at Geek Squad

Pros

The pros are the uniform and the things you learn because everyday is different

Cons

The people are pretty harsh and

Have better people

6. Nice First Step in Technical Support Industry

Current Employee - Consultation Agent

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy Entry Level, Not a Huge Need for Prior Experience, Fun Coworkers (At my Precinct at least), Amazing Discount

Cons

Still "technically" retail, GROSSLY under-paid for work performed, Managers who aren't "Geek Squad" have no clue what you actually do or what you're abilities are

Geek Squad Management ranges from "Awesome" to "WAY too serious." Overall, good enough.
    BEST BUY MANAGEMENT is meh, could definitely learn a thing or two from the way Geek Squad handles situations and does business.

Greed Squad

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A paycheck, and a day off.

Cons

con in advice to management

We don't actually fix computers we restore them all.

We don't actually educate customers on anything related to our services. Instead we keep them ignorant to exploit them for money.

We have 15 minutes or less to diag a machine, process it through nova, and explain it all to customers with no computer experince. (and every page in nova takes forever to process through). Most of the time the process takes a lot longer, because of all the questions and answers that go on and on. And since most customers never bring in their damn GSP numbers we'll spend time looking up your entire purchase history based on your phone number that you had when you first started to shop at bestbuy. Then painfully look through all purchases until you find the correct model number/sku that matches the device, and then go through the gsps until you find one with the correct sku. Not to mention if they have total insurance you have to look up their ADH notate that and then look up their Geek Squad tech service.

If your product wasn't purchased at best buy we are forced to look up a perfect matching sku that reflects your acutal machine.

We are not supposed to be pressured to make goals, but we spend every day stressed out about hours and keeping our hours.

We actually see our clients as cash cows, so as soon as you sit down in our bay we are forced to try and sell you GeekSquad Tech Support plans, or the best buy credit card to buy geek squad services.

Clients information may be incorrect in the data base for over 9000 years, even if you do correct it, it will default back to the unchanged version. Causeing client distress, worry and concerne for no reason.

Every single time you mess up, you will know, others will begin to aviod you if you mess up too much, and other techs will not take on jobs with your name on it.

Instead they will leave it alone for a long time and blame you for not starting the unit right away, even though some days that is impossible to accomplish.

Additionally because Geek Squad has expanded all over the place. So taht the only people that recieve any praise are usually members of the geek squad car stereo install bay.

8. Learned alot as far troubleshooting devices and pc repair. good experience but can get extremly busy.

I worked at Geek Squad

Pros

it expericence, customer service experience

Cons

busy, late shifts, angry customers if device isnt fixed properly

9. ARA

I have been working at Geek Squad

Pros

Employee Discount and ability to manage tasks

Cons

Poor working environment- heavy smog from autobay and store was poorly air conditioned

Listen to your employees more and communicate more overall. That's probably impossible though considering you get fired just as much as anyone else.

10. Not paid enough for the amount of work preformed

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked at two different locations. I love to help people, fix problems, computers, debug etc and I loved the feeling I received after helping someone fix their device.

Cons

Not paid enough. If the pay was much better I would've enjoyed staying longer. Training online is inefficient and most of the problems are common sense. Your computer doesn't turn on? Did you push the power button etc. Most customers were very rude and blamed me for their problems. For every four good customers I helped, I'd have one crazy person who would yell and cause extra problems.

11. Nice college job

Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management is very understanding and really works with your schedule. It's good exposure to kind of "stay in the game" as far as computer troubleshooting.

Cons

You have sales goals that are challenging, but not impossible.

Reduce the cost of services. It's already advertised as the cheapest among the competition, but I believe dropping the price a bit more would increase sales.

Geek Squad Photos