Geek Squad

Updated November 18, 2014
3.4

Geek Squad CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • The 401k is great and I don't know of any better employee discount than Best Buy's (in 23 reviews)

• You learn a lot about technology everyday even if you already know a bunch (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The schedule is not very flexible for full-time employees in college or who have families (in 9 reviews)

• The customers make or break the job, just like any other customer service job though (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Mostly sales - Techs don't like it, and you're micromanaged

Former Employee - CA Customer Adviser in West Paterson, NJ
    Former Employee - CA Customer Adviser in West Paterson, NJ

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's easy to trade shifts with a co-worker; it's fun to talk to the diverse customers; lots of on-line training available; some customers really appreciate what you do.

Cons

The computerized system monitors how much time you spend withe customers, what your sales are, etc. in real time. You always have a walkie-talkie in your ear and managers are constantly urging you to get rid of customers who aren't buying and to push expensive services that aren't appropriate. 90% of the repairs are virus removals using their own automated software - which does a great job, but you don't learn much. Many of these types of repairs are done remotely by techs in other cities, and your job is just to hook the PCs to the network and enter a few values to get it started.

The schedule is not very flexible for full-time employees in college or who have families. You are required to work a certain number of night and weekend shifts.

Since managers started getting bonuses tied to department profit, they've been really tough on forcing sales and stingy with pay.

Have an equal percentage bonus for all members of the department, not just managers. Make the schedules more flexible for families.

Decent Job, Cruddy pay.

Current Employee - Consultation Agent in Harahan, LA
    Current Employee - Consultation Agent in Harahan, LA

I have been working at Geek Squad full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Slow, Lots of down Time, great discounts. Always something to do to keep you busy

Cons

Shifty people, managers, and poor pay. Customers treat you like crap and half of the management (in my store) barely wants to back you up.

satisfactory

Former Employee - Technology Education Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technology Education Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Higher than minimum wage pay, a somewhat knowledgable to knowledgable team, good core values that stress customer satisfaction, flexible hours

Cons

Rightfully angry clients because of things that your supposedly knowledgable team messed up, the team members you are stuck with are sometimes not too bright, management that tries to use its Geek Squad as glorified sales associates

Good people, less than good schedule.

Current Employee - Operations Agent in Brighton, MI
    Current Employee - Operations Agent in Brighton, MI

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work is usually pretty fast-paced and is much more interesting than your average folding-clothes-type retail position. My managers are all great and my coworkers all get along very well, so it's a generally pleasant work environment. Everyone is really friendly and helpful.

Cons

It's a retail job, so the schedule is pretty terrible. No opportunity for regular schedules, part timers can get 35 hours a week or can get 8, so there's no predictability or reliability there.

Employees need to be able to use the time that we aren't at work. In order to do so, some respect in regard to our time would be appreciated.

Overral a good learning experience.

Former Employee - Consultant Agent in Pinole, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant Agent in Pinole, CA

I worked at Geek Squad part-time

Pros

- Coworkers share a good relationship, regular customers often tell us that we are like family.
    - Enhances your problem solving and intercommunication skills from dealing with various customer issues daily.
    - Higher pay grade at Geek Squad.
    - Good learning experience when you get into the business side of things.

Cons

- There's always a lack of support and communication from senior management.
    - Most of the training comes from trial and error, there needs to be proper physical training with all systems (less "e-learnings")
    - There used to be room for growth and promotions with a lot of support from upper management to move up, that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Great place to learn and improve your IT knowledge and looks great on a resume

Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is pretty good for a young adult looking to move out or save up, and you have great opportunities to move up in the company. You learn a lot about technology everyday even if you already know a bunch.

Cons

Company value has switched over to income as opposed to customer happiness and the level of work done.

Geeksquad Rocks

I have been working at Geek Squad

Pros

Easy awesome cool great yuuh

Cons

Holidays are spent working but pay is good

none

Great team, Shoddy company

Former Employee - Geek Squad Covert Agent in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Geek Squad Covert Agent in New York, NY

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Heaven for a tech geek, whether you repair techy hardware, software, or just like to tinker with gadgets. Pay is decent, Co-workers can be amazing.

Cons

Company tends to ignore rules and policies while shunning the employee for following them if it makes the customer unhappy

Pay attention to your own company policies more, the customer isn't always right. Especially when they scream at you because their twelve year old computer with 256 MB RAM can't run the latest video game and it's apparently your fault.

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Operations Agent in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Agent in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning about constant changing technology, discounted certification opportunities, bonuses

Cons

No real room to grow. Like any retail, favoritism is key.

More team meetings, better communication

Great job, so long as the correct people are in charge. (Precinct, not Auto)

Former Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) in Moline, IL

I worked at Geek Squad part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Repairing computers was something that if you knew how to do could go by very smoothly and if you didn't, the Geek Squad team and fellow co-workers always seemed willing to help. Geek Squad has three positions being Consultation Agent, Operations Agent, and Advanced Repair Agent. As long as you are willing, new positions are easy to move to and have good pay compensations (more-so for part time) for the work done (properly).

Cons

Computers are nearly relied upon now-a-days, so when something goes wrong with a client's computer, you WILL know. It's very hard to have control over a situation when the customers are "always right", which makes the job difficult if people are being restless, even if (which it mostly isn't) the agent's fault. Customers can be difficult, and it can be stressful if you don't adhere to the situations properly.

Communicate. The reason I quit Geek Squad is because I would follow SOP, and the managers would break that for customer satisfaction. That is not a big deal to me so long it does not negatively affect the company, but the managers did outright ridiculous things (like give a free $1,100 computer to an angry customer) which makes us SOP-following employees looked down upon because we, in the customers eyes, don't know how to do our job because the manager didn't even bat an eye at the situation.

Geek Squad Photos