Geisinger Health System

Geisinger Health System Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Geisinger Health System President and CEO Glenn D. Steele Jr.

Glenn D. Steele Jr.

Pros
  • Good Pay - best pay in the area(in 4 reviews)

• The best part of being here is simply job security, health benefits at a cheap cost and retirement(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A disjoint between upper management and everyone else, despite management's efforts(in 3 reviews)

• The current hiring freeze has hit myself and fellow graduate nurses hard(in 8 reviews)

Good Career choice- depending on what department you land in

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Danville, PA

ProsProgressive health system-leader in health care, innovative. Truly focused on hiring bright, talented Physicians and Specialists.

Conscertain departments have high turnover, in part due to the cliques that are prominent. Watched many new college grads arrive with high hopes of fitting in and starting a promising career, only to be knocked down by leadership cliques. Especially true if you are an above average looking young woman. The other women, supposed leaders, can be brutal. Not all departments, worked in several that were just bad-.

Advice to Senior Managementmost middle managers really have no power/guts to do what is in the best interest of the department.

There's a reason I left, and a reason I came back

Workstation Analyst (Current Employee) Danville, PA

ProsFor the Company:
    - Large medical facility, providing excellent patient care in a rural setting
    - Excellent time off plan, if you're full-time
    - Excellent benefits from day one, if you're full-time
    - Excellent health insurancem if you're full-time
    - Room to grow professionally
    - Collaborative atmosphere
    - Interested in providing excellent patient care
    - Gives back to the community
    - Selectively taking on other clinics and hospitals in the area, to prevent their dissolution, and to maintain quality care for the region
    - Physicians work for the hospital, not at/from it.
    - Geisinger was an early adopter of EMR (EPIC), and put a lot of effort into building and maintaining its IT

For my department:
    - No micro-managing
    - Friendly coworkers and team-mates
    - Ability to work independently
    - Management has my back in most cases
    - Management is very understanding of time off needs and work/life balance
    - Management is approachable
    - Team building stuff, such as fitness challenges, picnics, etc.

ConsFor the company:
    - Hard to get hired. I started through the in house temp, and when a position was specifically created for me to go full-time, HR's applicant tracking system said I was unqualified.
    - If you're not full-time, you're not going to get much of anything
    - Doctor's often have god complexes and ridiculous egos
    - Nursing staff feels overworked and under-appreciated
    - A general sense of being too large
    - A disjoint between upper management and everyone else, despite management's efforts

For IT:
    - IT is goo large, and too departmentally fractured to work effectively.
    - Collaboration is in name only

For my department:
    - IT as a whole is so large that it often feels like teams are working against each other
    - A sense of distrust / blaming / etc between teams
    - Undercurrent of favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementFor starters - fix the hiring practices! Ditch the applicant tracking system that HR uses. A position opened for the exact job I had been doing for over a year as an internal temp for, and the ATS deemed me unqualified. The department leader had to track down a member of HR, get them to fish through the system to find my resume, and then put me in the running for the position - and I was most qualified.

It's not that you're turning down good applicants, you're not even seeing that they have applied!

Secondly - be less modest in your portrayal of the hospital system. Yeah, you have problems, but you're also doing a lot of things right for the system and for the community; start playing it up. Address the undercurrent of the system being a monopoly, and of stagnation, and the like. You don't need to address every little pip, but don't let the big stuff slide like you do.

If you want to "Make it the best," then show your best when it's called into question.

Moving on to IT, specifically - we're huge. We're so huge that employees are now specialized in job responsbilities and abilities to the point that if one team or point of contact is unavailable, workflow grinds to a halt. It's great to have leadership support of maintaing infrastructure, but let the work get a little more streamlined.

I am currently working as a tech here, it is an excellent learning experience.

Emergency Room Tech (Current Employee) Wilkes-Barre, PA

ProsEveryone is very friendly.
    If you ever need anything all the staff, doctors included, would love to go out of their way to help.
    They do a lot of community service as groups that makes it a very good experience if you are interested.
    Work hours are very flexible around school schedules if needed.

ConsI work in the emergency room so you see some things not all people can stomach.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outstanding Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Danville, PA

ProsInnovative, encourages new ideas, focused on quality outcomes,

ConsBureocracry. Several layers of management to get through before a decision can be made.

good company to work for

Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) Wilkes-Barre, PA

Prosgenerous reimbursement good work environment nice co-workers

Consa bit mismanaged needs tougher administrators and more MD input on operations

Advice to Senior Managementnever ever compromise care of pt to let 3 or more MD/PA be off the same time; say tough luck you are not going to have vacation/CME -reschedule
    your coworkers do not have to sacrifice their time

Broad range of innovative modalities and technology

Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) Danville, PA

ProsAverage Compensation
    Time Off
    Beneftis
    Peer Decision Making Model is not appropriate. Managers should make decisons that are sensitive to individuals not peer commitees

ConsScheduling
    Infastructure (inta-department)
    Lots of responsibility
    Cafeteria
    Worl/Life Balance

Advice to Senior ManagementMake scheduling more flexible.

Good company to work for

Staffing Specialist (Former Employee) Wilkes-Barre, PA

ProsFast paced, excellent working conditions. Lots of learning opportunities for employees who seek them out. Access to world-class healthcare. Non-smoking environment. Emphasis on employee health; cafeteria has good healthy-eating choices and most locations have a place where employees can work out. Employer contributes to 401k (vested after 3 years). Can have prescriptions delivered directly to office.

ConsThe usual office politics, same as anywhere. Successful employees focus on their work and don't get involved. Employee parking is bad. Some managers reject viable solutions because they don't understand the new technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of what's going on in your department.

Great institution. However, removed from urban amenities and poor pay.

Physician (Former Employee) Danville, PA

Pros- Fully integrated multispecialty medical group with mature EMR (EPIC).
    - Collaborating and communicating with colleagues is very easy.
    - Ability to provide gold standard of care to patients.
    - Capable and friendly colleagues.
    - Generous PTO and CME allowance.
    - Benefits from day 1.
    - Good retirement plan.
    - Ample opportunities for participating in committees, quality improvement projects, research and teaching.
    - Medical management is mostly receptive to ideas related to improving things around.
    - No traffic.
    - Patients are mostly respectful to healthcare workers in comparison to most cities.

Cons- Low salary for some physicians (they were unable to afford to pay me the 10th percentile for my specialty)
    - Minimal raises.
    - Space is a premium for some departments. I did not have an office.
    - Removed from urban amenities (3 hours away from a real city)
    - Mediocre public schools with the exception of Lewisburg school district. No good private school alternatives.
    - Long commuting for outreach clinics for some specialties (20-90 miles)

Advice to Senior ManagementGeisinger is buying smaller hospitals and expanding quickly. Please ensure that the "culture" is maintained in the newer institutions. Also, make an effort to retain MVP employees.

Excellent first job, yet little opportunity for career advancement

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Danville, PA

ProsThe Geisinger Center for Health Research (CHR) is a state-of-the-art research building that provides a great atmosphere and confortable workspace. The coworkers are friendly and highly team-oriented with high morale. The benefit package is generous and employees have access to plenty of healthcare resources. Employees also have a fair amount of say in the job functions that they perform.

Consthe education requirements and job description do not accurately line up with the actual job functions and pay. Therefore, all too often do overqualified employees take positions in the CHR only to leave shortly afterwards for better career opportunities (and pay). Upward mobility is severely hindered as seasoned employees are often overlooked for promotions in favor of overqualified new-hires. This has caused an environment of very high turnover rates (under a year for positions such as research assistant and project coordinator), with employees often leaving shortly after they are trained to adequate performance. While this is commonplace in many industries, it has perhaps more of an impact on such a research institution where projects which span several years rely on consistency.

Fair in almost all areas

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Danville, PA

ProsOpportunities/ benefits are very encouraging.

ConsEmployee support towards co-workers. Problems where HR/ Management have done nothing to support staff.

Worked for Geisinger Health System? Contribute to the Community!