Geisinger Health System

Geisinger Health System Reviews in Danville, PA

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Geisinger Health System President and CEO Glenn D. Steele Jr.

Glenn D. Steele Jr.

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Career choice- depending on what department you land in

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Danville, PA

ProsProgressive health system-leader in health care, innovative. Truly focused on hiring bright, talented Physicians and Specialists.

Conscertain departments have high turnover, in part due to the cliques that are prominent. Watched many new college grads arrive with high hopes of fitting in and starting a promising career, only to be knocked down by leadership cliques. Especially true if you are an above average looking young woman. The other women, supposed leaders, can be brutal. Not all departments, worked in several that were just bad-.

Advice to Senior Managementmost middle managers really have no power/guts to do what is in the best interest of the department.

There's a reason I left, and a reason I came back

Workstation Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsFor the Company:
    - Large medical facility, providing excellent patient care in a rural setting
    - Excellent time off plan, if you're full-time
    - Excellent benefits from day one, if you're full-time
    - Excellent health insurancem if you're full-time
    - Room to grow professionally
    - Collaborative atmosphere
    - Interested in providing excellent patient care
    - Gives back to the community
    - Selectively taking on other clinics and hospitals in the area, to prevent their dissolution, and to maintain quality care for the region
    - Physicians work for the hospital, not at/from it.
    - Geisinger was an early adopter of EMR (EPIC), and put a lot of effort into building and maintaining its IT

For my department:
    - No micro-managing
    - Friendly coworkers and team-mates
    - Ability to work independently
    - Management has my back in most cases
    - Management is very understanding of time off needs and work/life balance
    - Management is approachable
    - Team building stuff, such as fitness challenges, picnics, etc.

ConsFor the company:
    - Hard to get hired. I started through the in house temp, and when a position was specifically created for me to go full-time, HR's applicant tracking system said I was unqualified.
    - If you're not full-time, you're not going to get much of anything
    - Doctor's often have god complexes and ridiculous egos
    - Nursing staff feels overworked and under-appreciated
    - A general sense of being too large
    - A disjoint between upper management and everyone else, despite management's efforts

For IT:
    - IT is goo large, and too departmentally fractured to work effectively.
    - Collaboration is in name only

For my department:
    - IT as a whole is so large that it often feels like teams are working against each other
    - A sense of distrust / blaming / etc between teams
    - Undercurrent of favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementFor starters - fix the hiring practices! Ditch the applicant tracking system that HR uses. A position opened for the exact job I had been doing for over a year as an internal temp for, and the ATS deemed me unqualified. The department leader had to track down a member of HR, get them to fish through the system to find my resume, and then put me in the running for the position - and I was most qualified.

It's not that you're turning down good applicants, you're not even seeing that they have applied!

Secondly - be less modest in your portrayal of the hospital system. Yeah, you have problems, but you're also doing a lot of things right for the system and for the community; start playing it up. Address the undercurrent of the system being a monopoly, and of stagnation, and the like. You don't need to address every little pip, but don't let the big stuff slide like you do.

If you want to "Make it the best," then show your best when it's called into question.

Moving on to IT, specifically - we're huge. We're so huge that employees are now specialized in job responsbilities and abilities to the point that if one team or point of contact is unavailable, workflow grinds to a halt. It's great to have leadership support of maintaing infrastructure, but let the work get a little more streamlined.

Outstanding Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Danville, PA

ProsInnovative, encourages new ideas, focused on quality outcomes,

ConsBureocracry. Several layers of management to get through before a decision can be made.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Broad range of innovative modalities and technology

Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee)

ProsAverage Compensation
    Time Off
    Beneftis
    Peer Decision Making Model is not appropriate. Managers should make decisons that are sensitive to individuals not peer commitees

ConsScheduling
    Infastructure (inta-department)
    Lots of responsibility
    Cafeteria
    Worl/Life Balance

Advice to Senior ManagementMake scheduling more flexible.

Great institution. However, removed from urban amenities and poor pay.

Physician (Former Employee)
    Danville, PA

Pros- Fully integrated multispecialty medical group with mature EMR (EPIC).
    - Collaborating and communicating with colleagues is very easy.
    - Ability to provide gold standard of care to patients.
    - Capable and friendly colleagues.
    - Generous PTO and CME allowance.
    - Benefits from day 1.
    - Good retirement plan.
    - Ample opportunities for participating in committees, quality improvement projects, research and teaching.
    - Medical management is mostly receptive to ideas related to improving things around.
    - No traffic.
    - Patients are mostly respectful to healthcare workers in comparison to most cities.

Cons- Low salary for some physicians (they were unable to afford to pay me the 10th percentile for my specialty)
    - Minimal raises.
    - Space is a premium for some departments. I did not have an office.
    - Removed from urban amenities (3 hours away from a real city)
    - Mediocre public schools with the exception of Lewisburg school district. No good private school alternatives.
    - Long commuting for outreach clinics for some specialties (20-90 miles)

Advice to Senior ManagementGeisinger is buying smaller hospitals and expanding quickly. Please ensure that the "culture" is maintained in the newer institutions. Also, make an effort to retain MVP employees.

Excellent first job, yet little opportunity for career advancement

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Danville, PA

ProsThe Geisinger Center for Health Research (CHR) is a state-of-the-art research building that provides a great atmosphere and confortable workspace. The coworkers are friendly and highly team-oriented with high morale. The benefit package is generous and employees have access to plenty of healthcare resources. Employees also have a fair amount of say in the job functions that they perform.

Consthe education requirements and job description do not accurately line up with the actual job functions and pay. Therefore, all too often do overqualified employees take positions in the CHR only to leave shortly afterwards for better career opportunities (and pay). Upward mobility is severely hindered as seasoned employees are often overlooked for promotions in favor of overqualified new-hires. This has caused an environment of very high turnover rates (under a year for positions such as research assistant and project coordinator), with employees often leaving shortly after they are trained to adequate performance. While this is commonplace in many industries, it has perhaps more of an impact on such a research institution where projects which span several years rely on consistency.

Fair in almost all areas

Danville, PA

ProsOpportunities/ benefits are very encouraging.

ConsEmployee support towards co-workers. Problems where HR/ Management have done nothing to support staff.

lots of patients

Staff Physician (Surgical Specialist) (Current Employee)
    Danville, PA

ProsGood, standard benefits package, mature electronic medical record system

Conslocated in a small town and far from a major city or airport, too many patients squeezed into short appointments; detrimental since many patients come to Geisinger for complex medical conditions, or because they have had complications at other institutions, or have been dissatisfied with outside providers

Advice to Senior Managementfollow a provider around seeing the clinic patients, having to get a history, review medications, surgery, imaging studies (takes longer if done at an outside institution since pts bring CDs), counseling, and finally documenting all of this electronically; I often close a chart after hours

Pay is lousy at the Weis Center for Research, PI's are very unreasonable people

Research Technician (Current Employee)
    Danville, PA

ProsBenefits and time off is decent. the people who work there are great.

ConsPay is lousy. PI's are unreasonable and unappreciative.

just ok, lousy raises, always short staffed

CNA (Current Employee)
    Danville, PA

Prosi haved worked here for 6 years. The best part of being here is simply job security, health benefits at a cheap cost and retirement

Consyou as an employee of such a great caliber are just one in a number. There are no pat on the backs for job well done and again, for such a HUGE money making buisness, many of the staff, especially nursing whether liscensed or not make piddles for what we endure twelve- 16 hours a day. Lousy financial help for wmployees to go back to school. The gas station Sheetz offers better tuition reimbursment

Advice to Senior Managementstart caring about your staff. Offer better help for us to go back to school and better pay for all the hard work we do every day

Worked for Geisinger Health System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Geisinger Health System reviews and ratings in Danville, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Geisinger Health System CEO Glenn D. Steele Jr. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Geisinger Health System employees.