Geisinger Health System Reviews

• Danville, PA
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

Geisinger is a great hospital system to work for.

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Geisinger is a large hospital system and has many areas in which a person can work in. From nursing to research there really is a job for everyone here. The benefits and compensation are good and there is always room to move around and/or to advance within.

Cons

The challenges of working here is the growth of the company which is moving 10 times faster than the people working here. Geisinger has taken over many hospitals within the past two years and the continued growth means, the need for more office space and work space.

Work harder but with less resources

Current Employee - Doctor in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Doctor in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, cheap cost of living, the employees are terrific, good retirement plan

Cons

Managers fear the higher ups, they do not support their employees. This year everyone was informed there would be a 5% cut in expenses and there would be a hiring freeze. The company also wanted a 3% increase in productivity. In response, I asked for more clinic time to see more patients but I was told there was not enough support staff to allow this to happen. How then can I increase productivity? Because of the anticipated drop in revenues, physician compensation will decrease this year. Everyone was told their base salary and bonus would be increased 1-2% but Geisinger imposed new metrics you had to attain to get your bonus. These metrics are difficult to achieve. Despite the 1-2% promised increase, my total compensation will be 3% less than last year. Complaints are not tolerated. We are told to accept and not question any leadership edict. If you do not agree, you can leave. No one feels special as they are all considered replaceable. The fact there is a continuous revolving door with more health staff leaving should trigger concern among their recruiters and subsequent leadership concern, but this fear is dismissed.

Advice to Management

Middle managers need to bring concerns of their employees to the upper management. Instead the middle managers do not advocate for the employees. They only act as spokespeople for the Geisinger leadership. If you are going to just parrot whatever comes from above, then I consider the middle managers expendable. Puppets are cheap to hire. There has to be opportunity for discussion between the employee doctors and leadership. Instead the Medical Staff meetings are attended by a mere dozen doctors who are afraid to stand up and disagree. If you dissent, you fear retribution. This is not unlike working in a dictatorship.

3. Lack of strategic plan makes for a terrible working environment

Current Employee - Innovation Manager in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Innovation Manager in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great and want to work hard for the mission of the organization.

Cons

Growth without a strategic plan is a disaster waiting to happen, great leaders have left and it seems no one cares as long as the system meets budget. Top brass needs to pay attention to employee engagement scores, HR is a joke, if you speak up they do nothing.

Advice to Management

Be leaders, create positive change for healthy work environments. Stop burying the real issues. You owe it to your employees.

Clinical Innovation Analyst

Current Employee - Clinical Innovation Analyst in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Innovation Analyst in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of the employees were fun and nice to work with.

Cons

Horrible 'management'-micromanaging at its finest-leadership is awful and lie; got in trouble once for laughing coming into the building.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and make promises you can't keep. Horrible and I mean horrible managing.

Graduated Nursing School at the Wrong Time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management always treats me well and tons of opportunity here.

Cons

The current hiring freeze has hit myself and fellow graduate nurses hard.

Advice to Management

I can understand cutting back on almost any job category except nursing! Many people I have spoken with are very dissatisfied with current changes and are already looking around for new jobs at other hospitals.

I didn't enjoy my time at Geisinger

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Danville, PA

I worked at Geisinger Health System part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of your coworkers are friendly and easy to get along with

Cons

Management isn't great. There is little training on how to do your job, and it was often difficult to figure out what I was supposed to do. Just not a proper amount of communication about what was expected of me. Since the work isn't lab-oriented, it isn't really valuable as a stepping stone to a better job either.

8. Very pleased working Geisinger

Former Employee - Workstation Analyst in Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Workstation Analyst in Danville, PA

I worked at Geisinger Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was part of a great team and we worked as such. The supervisor was very supported and interested in seeming his team members develop professionally

Cons

It was located in rural Pennsylvania

9. Many opportunities for advancement in various areas

Current Employee - Radiology in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Radiology in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Constantly growing and keeping up with new technology.

Cons

Could get quite challenging. Must be good at multi-tasking.

Advice to Management

Don't lose site of your current employees when you are growing larger. They are the foundation behind your success.

10. An Unexpected Healthcare Gem

Current Employee - Chaplain Resident in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Chaplain Resident in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An organization-wide focus on using data from research and experience to provide the best possible patient care. Great support for people who want to grow in their field. Opportunities in all aspects of healthcare, with motivated colleagues from around the world.

Cons

There is intensifying pressure to find ways to do more with less resources, both from a culture of continuous improvement and from a marketplace heavily influenced by one consumer that is less able to pay for requested services each year.

Advice to Management

Keep engaging the knowledge, insights, and ideas of the excellent people delivering great care at every level of the system.

I love going to work every day

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many benefits, an excellent work environment. Geisinger provides many wellness opportunities for employees.

Cons

There are no cons to working at Geisinger.

RSS Feed </> Embed