Geisinger Health System

Geisinger Health System Reviews

Updated August 12, 2014
Updated August 12, 2014

3.2

Geisinger Health System President and CEO Glenn D. Steele Jr.
Glenn D. Steele Jr.

Pros
  • Good Pay - best pay in the area (in 4 reviews)

• The best part of being here is simply job security, health benefits at a cheap cost and retirement (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A disjoint between upper management and everyone else, despite management's efforts (in 3 reviews)

• The current hiring freeze has hit myself and fellow graduate nurses hard (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Company growing too quickly

Current Employee - RN Staff  in  Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - RN Staff in Wilkes-Barre, PA

Pros

Large system for employees to move around.

Cons

Company is growing too quickly, buying up health systems and hospitals and has been in a "job freeze" for a few months now.

Full of friendly people

Pros

Very friendly coworkers and staff.

Cons

Some unreasonable timelines sent down from from upstairs

Great place to work

Pros

Good pay, flexible schedule. Cookies

Cons

Management are Machiavellian terrorists. But that seems to be the case everywhere

Play nice

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Geisinger is a great hospital system to work for.

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Danville, PA

Pros

Geisinger is a large hospital system and has many areas in which a person can work in. From nursing to research there really is a job for everyone here. The benefits and compensation are good and there is always room to move around and/or to advance within.

Cons

The challenges of working here is the growth of the company which is moving 10 times faster than the people working here. Geisinger has taken over many hospitals within the past two years and the continued growth means, the need for more office space and work space.

I had a very pleasant work experience at Geisinger Health System.

Pros

Geisinger advocates for employee wellness.
    Also, most positions are salary not hourly. During my time there, Geisinger was experiencing a hiring freeze, so overtime was not prevalent.

Cons

I did not experience many, as I was an intern. I was not benefits eligible.
    By watching others, promotions only offered when another position became vacant.

Work harder but with less resources

Current Employee - Doctor  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Doctor in Danville, PA

Pros

Good salary, cheap cost of living, the employees are terrific, good retirement plan

Cons

Managers fear the higher ups, they do not support their employees. This year everyone was informed there would be a 5% cut in expenses and there would be a hiring freeze. The company also wanted a 3% increase in productivity. In response, I asked for more clinic time to see more patients but I was told there was not enough support staff to allow this to happen. How then can I increase productivity?

Because of the anticipated drop in revenues, physician compensation will decrease this year. Everyone was told their base salary and bonus would be increased 1-2% but Geisinger imposed new metrics you had to attain to get your bonus. These metrics are difficult to achieve. Despite the 1-2% promised increase, my total compensation will be 3% less than last year.

Complaints are not tolerated.
    We are told to accept and not question any leadership edict. If you do not agree, you can leave. No one feels special as they are all considered replaceable. The fact there is a continuous revolving door with more health staff leaving should trigger concern among their recruiters and subsequent leadership concern, but this fear is dismissed.

Middle managers need to bring concerns of their employees to the upper management. Instead the middle managers do not advocate for the employees. They only act as spokespeople for the Geisinger leadership. If you are going to just parrot whatever comes from above, then I consider the middle managers expendable. Puppets are cheap to hire.

There has to be opportunity for discussion between the employee doctors and leadership. Instead the Medical Staff meetings are attended by a mere dozen doctors who are afraid to stand up and disagree. If you dissent, you fear retribution. This is not unlike working in a dictatorship.

Lack of strategic plan makes for a terrible working environment

Current Employee - Innovation Manager  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Innovation Manager in Danville, PA

Pros

Co-workers are great and want to work hard for the mission of the organization.

Cons

Growth without a strategic plan is a disaster waiting to happen, great leaders have left and it seems no one cares as long as the system meets budget. Top brass needs to pay attention to employee engagement scores, HR is a joke, if you speak up they do nothing.

Be leaders, create positive change for healthy work environments. Stop burying the real issues. You owe it to your employees.

Clinical Innovation Analyst

Current Employee - Clinical Innovation Analyst  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Innovation Analyst in Danville, PA

Pros

Many of the employees were fun and nice to work with.

Cons

Horrible 'management'-micromanaging at its finest-leadership is awful and lie; got in trouble once for laughing coming into the building.

Stop micromanaging and make promises you can't keep. Horrible and I mean horrible managing.

Graduated Nursing School at the Wrong Time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, PA

Pros

Management always treats me well and tons of opportunity here.

Cons

The current hiring freeze has hit myself and fellow graduate nurses hard.

I can understand cutting back on almost any job category except nursing! Many people I have spoken with are very dissatisfied with current changes and are already looking around for new jobs at other hospitals.

AVOID

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

can't think of anything

Cons

this hospitals wants to give employees as little as possible.
    1.SCHEDULING
    - it is a nightmare to attempt scheduling a day off. every thurs-sun is permanently closed the only way to get off is have someone else pick up your day.
    - they 6 rotating schedules that include atrocious 8 and 7 day stretches permanently every few weeks.
    - rarely will you ever get to take breaks. the requires breaks are a 30min and two 15 min. I have never been permitted to take the 15 min breaks and can barely get in a 30min at least twice a week you get no breaks.

PAY
    - the pay is very low here. I moved to the area and went from making $29 to $22.
    - second and third shift get the same differential =1.75!!!!! I have never heard of such a low diff
    - when you add overtime to your time cars for not getting any breaks you are attacked by your supervisor and told you are not aloud to just add overtime for not taking break.
    - employees use to get discounts at the very expensive atrium cafe, they took it away since I'm sure 3/4 of the sales are from employees. a salad. from the salad bar will cost you min $7 for a basic salad no meats

COWORKERS
    - the majority of the work force here is over 50 yrs old. seems like most of the employees are ready to retire
    - miserable ppl who don't want to teach or be questioned by new employees.
    - very set in their ways you hear the classic "that's the way we've always done it" just about everyday. no one wants to hears your suggestions and ideas for improvement

OVERALL
    Geisinger owns every hospital in this area so without moving you will have to deal with the nonsense,low pay, and employee abuse. this hospital does not treat employees well at all, it's really sad. i could never recommend working here to anyone

This place needs new management with people who can achieve change and want to improve things here. appreciate your employees opinions and ideas.

Worked for Geisinger Health System? Contribute to the Community!