Geisinger Health System

Geisinger Health System Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014
3.1

Geisinger Health System President and CEO Glenn D. Steele Jr.
Glenn D. Steele Jr.

Pros
  • Good Pay - best pay in the area (in 4 reviews)

• The best part of being here is simply job security, health benefits at a cheap cost and retirement (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No one feels special as they are all considered replaceable (in 3 reviews)

• A disjoint between upper management and everyone else, despite management's efforts (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great career starter at the Center for Health Research

Former Employee - Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Research Assistant

I worked at Geisinger Health System part-time for more than a year

Pros

It seemed to me that Geisinger really does want its employees to be content. I learned so much about the system during orientation. They made me feel part of a whole.

Cons

It is the largest employer in the area, so one may feel faceless. It has nothing to do with Geisinger itself, but it can be lonely to live in the country if you're not used to it.

Still good, but starting to look elsewhere

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved that this is a not for profit. They seem to have a great organization, and do a lot for the community and employees. They gave me a great internship opportunity while I was in college, and then I was offered a full time position with them within a year after graduation. I've gained a lot of experience and worked with great people in my time here.

Cons

Recently, it feels like geisinger is getting too big for their britches. Whether they didn't prepare for obamacare, or have overextended themselves with buying and building too many new facilities. Now they're cutting costs wherever they can and its putting a strain on employees. It's only a matter of time before patients begin to take notice.

Stop looking at the money in your wallet and look at what you're cutting and how it is affecting your employees and their ability to care for patients!

Good pay and decent benefits, but they don't value their loyal employees.

I worked at Geisinger Health System

Pros

The pay is one of the best in the area for registered nurses. The benefits are decent.

Cons

They do not value loyal employees. Those with years of service are being sent home because of over staffing instead of sending home based on seniority. Raises were poor despite huge profits and promotions and hiring have been on a freeze for a while now. Don't bother if you are looking to make any moves up the ladder because it will likely not happen.

Start showing appreciation for your employees who give so much to the organization. Don't ask employees to perform the duties of supervisors and then not compensate them appropriately.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company growing too quickly

Current Employee - RN Staff  in  Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - RN Staff in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large system for employees to move around.

Cons

Company is growing too quickly, buying up health systems and hospitals and has been in a "job freeze" for a few months now.

Full of friendly people

I worked at Geisinger Health System

Pros

Very friendly coworkers and staff.

Cons

Some unreasonable timelines sent down from from upstairs

Great place to work

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time

Pros

Good pay, flexible schedule. Cookies

Cons

Management are Machiavellian terrorists. But that seems to be the case everywhere

Play nice

Geisinger is a great hospital system to work for.

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Geisinger is a large hospital system and has many areas in which a person can work in. From nursing to research there really is a job for everyone here. The benefits and compensation are good and there is always room to move around and/or to advance within.

Cons

The challenges of working here is the growth of the company which is moving 10 times faster than the people working here. Geisinger has taken over many hospitals within the past two years and the continued growth means, the need for more office space and work space.

I had a very pleasant work experience at Geisinger Health System.

I have been working at Geisinger Health System as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Geisinger advocates for employee wellness.
    Also, most positions are salary not hourly. During my time there, Geisinger was experiencing a hiring freeze, so overtime was not prevalent.

Cons

I did not experience many, as I was an intern. I was not benefits eligible.
    By watching others, promotions only offered when another position became vacant.

Work harder but with less resources

Current Employee - Doctor  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Doctor in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good salary, cheap cost of living, the employees are terrific, good retirement plan

Cons

Managers fear the higher ups, they do not support their employees. This year everyone was informed there would be a 5% cut in expenses and there would be a hiring freeze. The company also wanted a 3% increase in productivity. In response, I asked for more clinic time to see more patients but I was told there was not enough support staff to allow this to happen. How then can I increase productivity?

Because of the anticipated drop in revenues, physician compensation will decrease this year. Everyone was told their base salary and bonus would be increased 1-2% but Geisinger imposed new metrics you had to attain to get your bonus. These metrics are difficult to achieve. Despite the 1-2% promised increase, my total compensation will be 3% less than last year.

Complaints are not tolerated.
    We are told to accept and not question any leadership edict. If you do not agree, you can leave. No one feels special as they are all considered replaceable. The fact there is a continuous revolving door with more health staff leaving should trigger concern among their recruiters and subsequent leadership concern, but this fear is dismissed.

Middle managers need to bring concerns of their employees to the upper management. Instead the middle managers do not advocate for the employees. They only act as spokespeople for the Geisinger leadership. If you are going to just parrot whatever comes from above, then I consider the middle managers expendable. Puppets are cheap to hire.

There has to be opportunity for discussion between the employee doctors and leadership. Instead the Medical Staff meetings are attended by a mere dozen doctors who are afraid to stand up and disagree. If you dissent, you fear retribution. This is not unlike working in a dictatorship.

Lack of strategic plan makes for a terrible working environment

Current Employee - Innovation Manager  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Innovation Manager in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are great and want to work hard for the mission of the organization.

Cons

Growth without a strategic plan is a disaster waiting to happen, great leaders have left and it seems no one cares as long as the system meets budget. Top brass needs to pay attention to employee engagement scores, HR is a joke, if you speak up they do nothing.

Be leaders, create positive change for healthy work environments. Stop burying the real issues. You owe it to your employees.

Worked for Geisinger Health System? Contribute to the Community!